just got my lumia 950 xl

aespix

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, just picked up my lumia 950 xl ,

Was dirt cheap, paying 199 rand a month on a 2 year contract which is about 14 usd a month! For a 950, offer was too good to turn down,

Coming from a blackberry 10 platform and I do have my BlackBerry priv which I use as my daily driver and I love it,

Just some things I want to point out of how shocked I am about how good this device is, it's got an amazing viewing experience , it makes android and bb10 look outdated,

Plus it comes with an iris scanner , wireless charging, quick charge, USB type c ? Cmon !!!! This is what Samsung and other devices only recently adopted ! And the glance feature? Sammy came with always on display but this glance feature ! Geez!

I haven't played with it a lot yet and have yet to update it or anything,

I dont know if il make it my daily driver as I have heard it's a pretty buggy phone, il run the updates tonight and let you guys know, this is my first ever windows device.

I really already feel I'm in love with it and I want to put down my priv And embrace the lumia but I'm just a die hard crackberry guy.

Any quick tips you guys recommend me doing to set up my lumia?

Also another question , does a samsung wireless charger work on the lumia? Or will I have to get another brand?

How's your guys battery life going so far ?

Also another thing is how is windows 10 updates? My priv comes with monthly security patches from blackberry, does Microsoft have anything like that?

How's the app situation? I haven't really browsed though the app store but I already found BBM missing and me and my wife use that as our main IM. I'm not a gamer so I don't care or give a damn about all of that,

Also I use a bit of pdf apps, like cam scanner , pdf merge etc so I'd probably need those ,

My banking app iv seen on the store , then I just use Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and BBM.

I think that's about it,

My priv is loaded with about 90 apps just for the fun if it and those iv mentioned are the core apps I use and will need,

Excited about lumia, if I don't feel the device can suit me il probably hand it over to the wife as she doesn't care about the apps etc , as long as she can text me she's happy ,

Sorry for the rapid fire questions and long essay,

First time user window's mobile guy here .

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Another one who has discovered what is a pretty damned good device for the money (I have the XL and my wife gets her 950 on Friday).

Updates aren't an issue, they roll down fairly regularly as long as the device is still supported so plenty of those to come yet.

Skype is great for IM's, and with the anniversary update and joining the Windows Insiders program, you can set it up so Skype preview on your PC can send SMS texts from your computer using your phone's allowances.

Try Office lens for the scanner.

If you are lucky (We are, banking apps wise) then download it.

Have you tried Continuum yet?

Above the other things you mentioned, this blows pretty much every other phone out of the water, it's pretty clever to plug in a phone to a dock (You can do it wirelessly if you want), plug in (Or Bluetooth) a mouse and keyboard and watch it turn into a PC.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Any quick tips you guys recommend me doing to set up my lumia?

:>perform a hard reset after finishing the installation all the OS updates.
:> update all the core apps first and then move on to download third party apps.
:> i believe you must have heard about windows insiders and the fun n joy of installing insider builds, but beware these are highly unstable and can compromise your windows mobile experience, how juicy it might seem always remember there is nothing more fast and better than the public build or version. Do not join insiders.
:> You might fell a lack of apps in the store but most of the general apps are available for work and play so dont be surprised to see that.

How's your guys battery life going so far ?

battery life hugely depends on the number of background tasks active on your device as basically lumia 950xl does give you a day of back up under moderate usage. you could customize what apps run in the background to your liking which will in turn improve battery life.

Also another thing is how is windows 10 updates? My priv comes with monthly security patches from blackberry, does Microsoft have anything like that?

Microsoft do releases monthly cumulative updates or patches with new security and OS related fixes, you should not worry about viruses or malware attacking your lumia as it is impossible for that to happen. So feel free to browse anywhere on the internet without worrying about compromising your devices security.

Also another question , does a samsung wireless charger work on the lumia? Or will I have to get another brand?

not aware of that sorry. :)

Following above set of instructions i believe you will not have any difficulties adopting windows mobile as your daily driver replacing your blackberry priv. Good luck ;)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, just picked up my lumia 950 xl ,

Was dirt cheap, paying 199 rand a month on a 2 year contract which is about 14 usd a month! For a 950, offer was too good to turn down,

Coming from a blackberry 10 platform and I do have my BlackBerry priv which I use as my daily driver and I love it,

Just some things I want to point out of how shocked I am about how good this device is, it's got an amazing viewing experience , it makes android and bb10 look outdated,

Plus it comes with an iris scanner , wireless charging, quick charge, USB type c ? Cmon !!!! This is what Samsung and other devices only recently adopted ! And the glance feature? Sammy came with always on display but this glance feature ! Geez!

I haven't played with it a lot yet and have yet to update it or anything,

I dont know if il make it my daily driver as I have heard it's a pretty buggy phone, il run the updates tonight and let you guys know, this is my first ever windows device. Make sure its all updated. It can be hit or miss depending on the person's luck, but it's definitely much improved since launch.

I really already feel I'm in love with it and I want to put down my priv And embrace the lumia but I'm just a die hard crackberry guy. I don't blame you!

Any quick tips you guys recommend me doing to set up my lumia? Make sure you got a Microsoft account, get all your accounts set up and explore the settings!

Also another question , does a samsung wireless charger work on the lumia? Or will I have to get another brand? As long as it supports the Qi wireless charging standard (which I am almost certain it does) it will work.

How's your guys battery life going so far ? I don't own one so I can't say.

Also another thing is how is windows 10 updates? My priv comes with monthly security patches from blackberry, does Microsoft have anything like that? Microsoft issues updates on a monthly basis (usually) which includes bug fixes and other minor things. If you are feeling dangerous there is the Windows Insider program that trades likely reliability/stability for earlier looks at future features and decisions. I don't recommend it beyond the Release Preview ring if you aren't sure.

How's the app situation? I haven't really browsed though the app store but I already found BBM missing and me and my wife use that as our main IM. I'm not a gamer so I don't care or give a damn about all of that,

Also I use a bit of pdf apps, like cam scanner , pdf merge etc so I'd probably need those ,

My banking app iv seen on the store , then I just use Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and BBM. The app situation is poor. Office Lens and Adobe Reader are present, although some like Foxit or Xodo for their PDF needs.

I think that's about it,

My priv is loaded with about 90 apps just for the fun if it and those iv mentioned are the core apps I use and will need,

Excited about lumia, if I don't feel the device can suit me il probably hand it over to the wife as she doesn't care about the apps etc , as long as she can text me she's happy , You won't find most of those here but the core features are mostly there. You'll miss the Blackberry Hub, I know I will. But if you set up your start screen up right, you may not miss it quite so much. Remember that you can pin documents, webpages and people to the start screen, not just apps.
For example, a couple years ago I would have a OneNote To-Do list and an essay I need to look over pinned to my start screen. My Dad has a dozen weather locations pinned to his start in a folder so he gets at-a-glance information about all the locations he cares about.

Sorry for the rapid fire questions and long essay,

First time user window's mobile guy here .

My input in bold above.

aespix

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys,

Packed the priv away and using my Lumia ,

A bit buggy at first , random crashes , app store crashing , freezing etc , frustrating!

Updated to anniversary update recently ,
Much more stable.

Brilliant device this, set up my home screen which looks Gorgeous.

Dare I say this , but I think.. I can actually move away from my priv to this.

Ordered a surface pro 3 which is on the way,

After using this phone for a couple days now I can honestly see why people don't want to purchase it as it's not yet finished ,

But when this OS is complete , this will be the most complete and perfect OS ever made.

Love my lumia 950 xl.

Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Good to see you on Windows Central. I have responded to some of your posts on Crackberry. I have a Priv currently and had a Nokia 925 Windows Phone. I agree...I love the Windows O.S. I was going back and forth between a Priv and a 950 last year. Ultimately, the bugs in the software at release drove me to Blackberry. I love Blackberry also and the Priv has been great. I am being patient and waiting for M.S. to stabilize everything. I visited a Microsoft Kiosk in our local mall and the staff stated to me that " Microsoft never said they would stop making hardware." and he had a impish grin on his face as if he knows something but can not talk. I am patient and will hold on to Priv and see what happens in 2017.

Enjoy that Windows phone!

aespix

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Good to see you on Windows Central. I have responded to some of your posts on Crackberry. I have a Priv currently and had a Nokia 925 Windows Phone. I agree...I love the Windows O.S. I was going back and forth between a Priv and a 950 last year. Ultimately, the bugs in the software at release drove me to Blackberry. I love Blackberry also and the Priv has been great. I am being patient and waiting for M.S. to stabilize everything. I visited a Microsoft Kiosk in our local mall and the staff stated to me that " Microsoft never said they would stop making hardware." and he had a impish grin on his face as if he knows something but can not talk. I am patient and will hold on to Priv and see what happens in 2017.

Enjoy that Windows phone!

Thanks,

I'm using it as my daily driver and got the priv as my play phone now.

I'm really getting into these live tiles and I'm loving the keyboard,

Just some issues like I'm not so used to the YouTube , whatsapp and other apps looking very different from what I'm accustomed to, so itl take some time for me to get used to it.

Still have my priv which is my secondary device now.

Loving the lumia, Im a difficult guy to please but props to Microsoft. Excellent device. At 14 usd a month I think I snagged a bargain. Lovely performance , slick interface and something new to look at.

Maybe I just wanted to try something new,

Have to give it to Microsoft though, my nitpicking aside this is phone beast of a device and I couldn't be happier. Good value for money.

I wouldn't recommend the guys going out and buying the elite x3 or the idol 4s. This phone has all you need and is basically running the same software and feels amazing.

Just my 5 cents..

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Go with latest fast insider build..

gourav, I would suggest you stop telling everyone to install fast insider beta builds because they're not for everyone, I suggest only installing the insiders build if you know what you're doing and you know how to trouble shoot... insider builds are not stable enough to use every day and we don't need more folks coming in here complaining that W10M sucks and not wrking, and problems ect ect ect. it will only perpetuate to the negativity towards W10M... if it is stable and working for you then thats great! but some others aren't/won't be so lucky..

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Go with latest fast insider build..

You may not have issues, but I've seen some still with 10. Normal people do not need 10 Mobile to be any more unstable or inconsistent as it is.

gourav, I would suggest you stop telling everyone to install fast insider beta builds because they're not for everyone, I suggest only installing the insiders build if you know what you're doing and you know how to trouble shoot... insider builds are not stable enough to use every day and we don't need more folks coming in here complaining that W10M sucks and not wrking, and problems ect ect ect. it will only perpetuate to the negativity towards W10M... if it is stable and working for you then thats great! but some others aren't/won't be so lucky..

Morgan-Freeman-quoted-somewhat-out-of-context.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99