Camera roll - same photo saved multiple times?

Aneres11

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys.
Picked my Lumia 950 XL up last week and have been using it as my second device for the last week.

Loving the camera, but I've found that the photos are duplicating in the camera roll multiple times when snapped. 4 or 5 times in most instances. They images all differ from each other slightly too, some darker, some a bit brighter etc?
It appears that it may be a HDR thing (when I shoot with HDR on), but I can't seem to find any option to turn this on / off, nor have I had any joy when I've googled why it is happening?

Anyone got any recommendations or suggestions as to why this is happening?

I had a 950 (normal size) earlier in the year and used it for 3 months or so (yes, I've come crawling back haha), but don't recall this happening with that, even though I shot in HDR on that most of the time too.

Confusing - any help?

Thanks in advance!

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't know how HDR works, but maybe it takes multiple images at different exposures so you can adjust the lighting later? Just a guess. You should be able to toggle between HDR on, off and auto with the little icon on the side of the camera view screen (in auto mode only, not manual).

Antonht

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
For more than a year i have gained duplicate photos in my onedrive where the file has the same name but ends with pro and the other file as pro 1. I really hate to have to delete the doubles all the time.....

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
That's what hdr does. It takes the same picture with different exposure to generate a better image. And that is also what allows you to adjust the lighting. You can turn HDR off in the quick settings of the camera, there is an icon that says "hdr". But it is a cool feature. Also if you have it set to take pictures in DNG or DNG+jpg you will get more files/more space occuppied. You can set it to only jpg to get less files and less space if that is what you want.

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
That's what hdr does. It takes the same picture with different exposure to generate a better image. And that is also what allows you to adjust the lighting. You can turn HDR off in the quick settings of the camera, there is an icon that says "hdr". But it is a cool feature. Also if you have it set to take pictures in DNG or DNG+jpg you will get more files/more space occuppied. You can set it to only jpg to get less files and less space if that is what you want.

That's right. HDR (High Dynamic Range) will take three images at different exposure values and then blend them together for the desired effect. One low EV, one middle EV and one high EV. The old photos gallery wouldn't show all three images but just the blended HDR jpeg. Now the gallery shows everything including the raw (DNG) files.

So while it looks like duplicates of the exact same file, if you long press on each one and read the file information you'll see they are not identical.

If you don't care about HDR or shooting in RAW then you can turn both of those off

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss