Help, 950 XL auto reset, bug MS Store UK or B2X?

The Meddling Monk

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
OK, so quick lowdown. I purchased the 950 XL from the MS UK Store back a year ago.

It has developed the dreaded auto-reset fault, which appears to be battery related (only occurs when not charging and around 50% or less).

I've gone through support, which sends me to B2X who in broken English told me to send it in for repair (after I've done a hard reset, reflash, etc). I read the instructions and it tells me "not" to send in any battery's. So I think to myself, but if it's a battery issue, how are they going to diagnose it? So I check with B2X again to make sure. I'm told that if the engineer teams find that it's a battery issue they will contact me (you can already see where this is going). So off the phone went, just got it back today, drain the battery back down to around 50% and lo and behold the restarts/freezes happen again.

All B2X did was reflash the phone with the .318 firmware for my "repair".

I tried contacting the MS Store again when B2X left me waiting for ages checking for what to do next.

So my question(s):

1. Should I do the repair again and this time check the repair for the battery instead?
2. Should I simply bug the MS Store over the phone instead to get them to send me another 950 XL or refund me as B2X clearly are not able to resolve the issue?

Thanks for any help all.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
So I don't think you'll get a refund, after having dealt with the store multiple times. Personally I don't think I could go through the hassle of B2X and I'd purchase another battery from ebay or amazon, at least that way if it's the battery causing the issue it will be fixed.

The Meddling Monk

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, just a quick update.I'm not sure how it happened, but the refund from the UK MS Store has taken place. +1000% props to the Store and the handlers over the matter; easily the best customer service I've experienced in a very long time over such a matter.

As for B2X, I can't comment on B2X's actual hardware repair or battery swap/replacement as I never got to that stage. But their VERY slow early diagnosis of what is wrong with the Lumia 950 XL is very worrying and unstatisfying personally. Whilst it is meticulous (and hence prevents a lot of unneeded repair send ins) it does take a lot of turn around time to get to a latter repair issue that requires hardware replacement; it already took me 2-3 weeks turn around for the firmware "re-flash" of the 950 XL to return to me, and I could have done myself (and did do in fact), even though I provided a very detailed personal test diagnosis of what happens when the reset fault occurs to them and the "re-flash" would have been fruitless. If I needed to have gone through the "repair" service again (separately for the battery; which they may not even recognise as a fault or find the fault as they can't find it and prolong the process) it would have easily went through a month or more of "repair time" and lack of a phone. Which is beyond acceptable.

Personally, I like how B2X will go through the motions for each stage and tell you to send in on confirming it needs to go in, but each stage of the process is far too long a turn around if it's a fault/repair in the latter stages of their individually staged "repair process", which could take weeks if not months to reach a repair they fail to diagnose it properly in the first place.

So in review:
MS UK Store: 11/10 (Beyond perfect, courteous, polite, resolved matter)
B2X Online Chat Support Agents: 0-3/10 (Really bad because of diagnosis process is same as online help, but worst of all, they have really bad periods of wait time for an agent **)
B2X Repair Service: -/10 (Not giving a score here, as they likely were working from info from the Online Chat, and likely got bad info, in any event, if issue was a firmware reflash, could potentially have solved issue, but not in my case)

** 0 to 3, because there was some help attempted at least (so gave a 3, which was the first two chat times), but some other times was just horrendous. 30+ minutes of wait time (Missing Account number for DHL sending for example, and no confirmed number anywhere easily findable forced me to contact them and subsequently wait this horrendous time frame which delayed DHL despatch by a few days as over weekend), only first two times was answered immediately. Last time was totally a 0, as they were unable to help after I got the reflashed 950 XL back and not only that, seemed totally uninterested in my issue and even ignored my request for a chat log reference when it was done.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I'm happily shocked. It's great to hear they get the decisions right every so often. I'm wondering if they've been told its a known issue on some phones and hence the refund for a year old phone. I think given some of the problems with the 950/XL that the quality control is lacking and so some people have no issues whilst others are plagued by issue after issue.

EN-Esty

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, just a quick update.I'm not sure how it happened, but the refund from the UK MS Store has taken place. +1000% props to the Store and the handlers over the matter; easily the best customer service I've experienced in a very long time over such a matter.
Hiya, I'm experiencing very similar issues (I just made a thread on it and then saw your post) and wondered if you could elaborate a bit on how you were able to get a refund from the store? I'm in support hell at the moment where I get sent in a loop between Microsoft store support and B2X as their technical support. Their store team are friendly but say they're not able to help as it's outside of the return period and B2X have just returned my phone without looking into the stability problems because the screen has a tiny hairline crack on it (I think because I squeezed it too hard in frustration after the 5th reboot in a row while I was lost and needed my phone!) and they say that this damage is outside of the scope of the warranty. I contacted B2X again because I see nothing in the warranty to suggest that damage outside of the scope of the warranty can invalidate their commitment to repair damage that is within it's scope, and the quite useless support team advised me to send it in again with no guarantees that anything would be different this time. How were you able to get out of this support hell?!

DigitalDK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Hiya, I'm experiencing very similar issues (I just made a thread on it and then saw your post) and wondered if you could elaborate a bit on how you were able to get a refund from the store? I'm in support hell at the moment where I get sent in a loop between Microsoft store support and B2X as their technical support. Their store team are friendly but say they're not able to help as it's outside of the return period and B2X have just returned my phone without looking into the stability problems because the screen has a tiny hairline crack on it (I think because I squeezed it too hard in frustration after the 5th reboot in a row while I was lost and needed my phone!) and they say that this damage is outside of the scope of the warranty. I contacted B2X again because I see nothing in the warranty to suggest that damage outside of the scope of the warranty can invalidate their commitment to repair damage that is within it's scope, and the quite useless support team advised me to send it in again with no guarantees that anything would be different this time. How were you able to get out of this support hell?!

Any physical damage like that will always void your manufacturers warranty regardless of what issue you're trying to get repaired. This is the case even for Apple who's device repair and warranty service is the absolute best. They won't touch a device with a hairline crack for manufacturer warranty repair as it is now void and out of warranty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05