Swollen battery - 950XL

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue. For the second time in less than a year, the battery in my 950XL had swollen and the device will randomly reboot or power off if the battery is <60%. The first it happened, I send my device back for repairs thinking that was the issue it turned out to be the battery. It's been less than 6months since the battery was replaced and the issue is back. The battery is so swollen that when I remove the back cover of my device, the battery pops out. I have booked it for replacement with B2X but id ideally like to know what has caused this to happen twice so I can prevent it in future. Thanks in advanced.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Poor replacement maybe, manufacturing defects are major causes in such cases. This swollen battery is a hazard to you and people around you, your lumia could turn into samsung S7 anytime. But the phone has a safety mechanism in its kernel where it shuts off power from the battery after the battery reaches a critical temperature.

please tell us your charging cycles how often and how long did you use to charge your phone? is it charged using a wireless charging plate? Do you make use of qualcomm rapid chargers?

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, replied already but this new WC isn't as good as the old with forum performance. Anyway to answer your question, yes it must be another dud battery. I tend to charge my device twice a day, max 4 times when heavy usage. I use mainly the cables that came with the device and my DP to charge however I do have a 3rd party cable, a Rankie make that I use when in my car. Coincidently I have noticed that the last time this happened was when the RS1 bug bash event started and now its happened again with the RS2 bug bash event. Might be totally unrelated but vert weird..

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I had that happen to me. I'm convinced it was an insider build that caused it as it's hard to believe in such a weird coincidence. I went to MS store and they replaced my phone, I have the 2 year warranty. Gee I hope it doesn't happen again. I only use the MS provided wall charger and nothing else.

I'm wondering if in your case the wall charger is the problem given it happened twice. For me MS replaced everything because anything from the phone to the power adapter could have been the problem.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Man I really hope they fix quoting in this app. @Krystianpants, replied to you but app didn't post. So thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who thought that an insider build could cause this issue. Tbh can't rule it out, it is after all unrefined code and no one knows what could happen until it happens. Anyway, once I receive the replacement battery, I think ill swap to using the mains charger that came with my display dock as its the same type, fingers crossed that it won't happen again.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Man I really hope they fix quoting in this app. @Krystianpants, replied to you but app didn't post. So thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who thought that an insider build could cause this issue. Tbh can't rule it out, it is after all unrefined code and no one knows what could happen until it happens. Anyway, once I receive the replacement battery, I think ill swap to using the mains charger that came with my display dock as its the same type, fingers crossed that it won't happen again.

If you have an MS store nearby bring it in. Say that it is dangerous to be carrying around a swollen battery and shipping it is even worse. Samsung had to ship special containers that are explosive proof to customers.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
@krytianpants, would love to have that option but I'm in the UK and we have no Ms stores. All I have is b2x support and I've booked shipping to send the battery to them. Fingers crossed that it all goes well.

Dizzle81

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
hey guys im having the same issue with my 950xl it powers off when it reaches below 80% the battery was swollen and i bought one off amazon but its still getting the smae issue i did a hard reset same problem.
Whats worse is now my back up phone 1020 is suffering from the same issue. Im from the Caribbean and dont have microsoft stores here. Im wondering what to do as all my phones for the past 7 years have been windows its disheartning to come to this point and not get any redress due to a lack of support as the b2x is useless as i put in my imei i get an infinite load screen.
Can anyone assist?

jsfx07

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Had this problem also, I bought 2 batteries that were cheap knock offs, then took a leap of faith buying from some eBay place in China, got a OEM battery and haven't had any problems since(5 months ago). I also thought it was a preview build, but it was a battery issue.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Same here, couldn't be without my device while battery was shipped back to repair centre so I ordered oem from eBay and its been so far so good. Will probably swap out when official b2x replacement gets delivered.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa