upgrade time

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Afternoon all,daughter is due an upgrade in two months ,currently running a 930 on windows 8.1,she has been looking at Sony /android phones but I'm thinking 950xl as I'm finding mine a brilliant phone .Now let's say she goes down the 950 route ,she'll be in a contract for two years ,will windows 10 mobile still be supported or is it a dead end.Can't believe that Microsoft will abandon the mobile os but not sure of its future,don't want to suggest this phone and have her left out in the cold.What are peoples thoughts ta

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
of course MS will still support it in 2 years via updates and whatnot, but they probably just wont make new Windows phones, unless the rumours are true that they'll come out with a surface phone in 2017-18... one can only hope!!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It'll probably continue to be supported, but it'll probably continue to be on the backburner.

Her needs are very different than yours however. My father enjoys his 640 but I could not tolerate that 640 as a daily driver any longer. I highly suspect she will continue looking for an escape route unless she literally uses her phone for very basic functions and nothing else, the notion of which I find extremely unlikely.

Sony makes great Android phones, especially the smaller models.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
If she loves taking pictures and don't game that much, then go 950. Even with the latest Pixel and iPhone 7, I still think the 950 series is better. We'll see upgrades for Continuum soon. We can now choose a different wallpaper and up next is resizable windows for a more desktop-like experience.

Mbckl

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
On one hand

Kids love apps. Their friends will have a app and they will have to try it. Windows is not the place to get the latest apps or even decent apps.

On the other hand,
Maybe getting a windows phone will teach kids to be less peer pressured and waste their time on useless things? Plus you get to replace battery so it can be used for >2yrs.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
sorry but as much as I luv my 950XL it won't be a good fit for your daughter if she's a teenager because she will want all the "cool" apps like her friends have, now if your daughter is older (like in her 20's) then you might be able to get away with it, as she will want to be more productive like the 950 is... my bet is go with an android device.

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
She currently has a Windows 8 phone as per the original post so lack of apps isn't an issue ,she's 18 and level headed doesn't do gaming other than Minecraft which is on the windows platform ,Facebook works to an acceptable level so she enjoys the window system ,I just wonder if it will still be supported enough by Microsoft in the foreseeable future to be worth choosing another Windows phone

jowilf

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Just a suggestion as I've just got the 950 xl and loving it. Came from iPhone and had google pixel. Love the equaliser for listening to music. The camera is great. Love the tile system which she's already used to. Screen is beautiful. If you buy phone sim free from Microsoft she sill get student discount of 10%, brings phone down to just over ?300. You get the dock for free and could get say ?40 on eBay if she didn't want to keep it. I pay ?11 per month for sim only deal with Vodafone which includes unlimited minutes and texts, 4gb of data on 12 month contract. Saving a lot of money if you buy phone sim free.

Mbckl

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Id go with windows mobile. It will continue ti get updates for now. They need to concentrate in universal apps so that their app base grows. This will in turn getmicrosoft more market share. This won't be quick.

But since your daughter is quite happy with the current eco system, then get the cheaper Wndows phone. Awesome camera, does most things great, replaceable battery, reliable warranty (had an issue that was fixed very quickly).

The only reason I would choose android is if you really need the apps. If you dont, then get a cheap 950xl and you win.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If she is as sensible as you say she is, the XL is superb (I have one) but the 950 is a very close second my wife has had one for two weeks now and even she (Absolute luddite when it comes to tech) is impressed with the slight advantage of being a bit more pocket-able and a little bit less cost wise.

Why not praise your daughter for being so sensible, and get her one of the above with the display dock and as she is 18 you could cough up for a monitor to go with it so she can use it as a PC...................

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend getting your daughter what she is requesting. You can usually return a phone within 14 days with no penalty, so she could try it for that long to see if it is what she wants for the next two years.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
As we know windows 10 mobile is and will in future too stay in development. So this means that with new builds and new features there will be bugs and glitches even on the public builds. which might bother some , so my point is that if she could really afford that hassle of often resets or updates .Also windows 10 mobile is highly inclined towards professionals, as a teenager you need a device which is more fun and acceptable to others. I had noticed people making faces when seeing a windows phone , so there is that eye appeal too. So in a long run , imho It will be wise to stay with android or iphone for a teenager.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If she is okay with Windows 10 Mobile platform (if she has Windows 8 Phone then she will only need to get used to different UI) then I don't see why not as it will surely be supported in next years.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
You asked people here so now I think you've got your answer. I'm also here so I support you to get the 950/ xl too.
Teenager is difficult though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss