Any Sales Expected?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm looking to get a Lumia 950 XL this holiday season but I'm hoping to find a good sale for an unlocked version. The price gap between the 950 and XL has been growing and the 950 can be grabbed for a great price but the XL is still a bit expensive.

Rocco Giordano

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 950 XL at the Microsoft Store a couple of weeks ago, got the 10% student discount and the Free Display Dock. On the Microsoft Store's Black Friday deals page, they list the Lumia 950 XL as having a "Bundle Offer" starting on 11/24, which indicates a $498 savings. My best guess would be a repeat of the BOGO deal where you buy an unlocked 950 XL and get a free unlocked 950, along with the display dock (would be $498 value for those 2 free items), or some sort of offer where you buy a Lumia 950 XL and get a free Xbox and Display Dock.

Either way, it looks like the Microsoft Store is going to really try and unload these over the Thanksgiving holiday period, so keep an eye out there, I'll be keeping my receipt and trying to get them to match any new deal that comes out. Might even do a return/re-purchase if it ends up being an actual $498 offer...

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Originally posted by Rocco Giordano
Just got my Lumia 950 XL at the Microsoft Store a couple of weeks ago, got the 10% student discount and the Free Display Dock. On the Microsoft Store's Black Friday deals page, they list the Lumia 950 XL as having a "Bundle Offer" starting on 11/24, which indicates a $498 savings. My best guess would be a repeat of the BOGO deal where you buy an unlocked 950 XL and get a free unlocked 950, along with the display dock (would be $498 value for those 2 free items), or some sort of offer where you buy a Lumia 950 XL and get a free Xbox and Display Dock.

Either way, it looks like the Microsoft Store is going to really try and unload these over the Thanksgiving holiday period, so keep an eye out there, I'll be keeping my receipt and trying to get them to match any new deal that comes out. Might even do a return/re-purchase if it ends up being an actual $498 offer...

I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
It would be nice (for me) if it was the 950XL and a Xbox. Windows blog says: "Buy an unlocked Lumia 950XL or unlocked 950 and receive a Microsoft Display Dock for free" (which wouldn't be any different than the deal that's available now), but that doesn't jive with the $498 savings. Unless it's going to be $1 for the phone and dock (I jest).

Rocco Giordano

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The folks over at WinBeta reached out to the Microsoft Store communications team and they have confirmed that the deal is a BOGO, you buy the Lumia 950 XL unlocked and get a free unlocked Lumia 950 and Microsoft Display Dock.

When you consider the $399 price of the 950 and the $99 price of the dock, there's your $498 bundle savings.

They'll try to get you to pay the full $499 for the 950 XL, but you can get them to give you a 10% education discount, assuming someone in your house is a student. Sell the 950 on eBay, Amazon or Craigslist, and you've got a great deal on a 950 XL ready for continuum with your dock!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
They'll try to get you to pay the full $499 for the 950 XL, but you can get them to give you a 10% education discount, assuming someone in your house is a student. Sell the 950 on eBay, Amazon or Craigslist, and you've got a great deal on a 950 XL ready for continuum with your dock!

This is indeed a good plan. I think that the market might be a bit flooded with 950's after the sale. I feel like they're already in good supply online.

I was fortunate to grab a 950 a month ago for $150.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
If this thread is any indication, this bundle is going to sell like hotcakes. Having said that, I need a new phone and I'm interested. Personally, I wish they would just cut the price on both models as opposed to doing a BOGO. I don't need two phones and getting rid of one of them seems like it could be a hassle.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the 950XL for me, the 950 for the wife (to replace a Lumia 1520 (battery issues), Lumia 920 respectively) the ONLY reason the BOGO works for me.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have a launch day 920 that is either on its last legs or my AT&T coverage has gotten much worse. I'm leaning towards the former. I think my 920 may have some antenna issues, perhaps as the result of one too many drops. I can go from a pretty strong LTE signal to no signal whatsoever within a few feet. It's been a good phone and I'm kinda surprised by the state of the Windows mobile ecosystem 4+ years later. I definitely thought market share and direction would have dramatically improved by now.

If I do take the plunge on this deal, I'm hoping it's not a huge pain to get the 950XL, which is what I believe I want sight unseen, to work on AT&T.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
... If I do take the plunge on this deal, I'm hoping it's not a huge pain to get the 950XL, which is what I believe I want sight unseen, to work on AT&T.

S/B No problem ...
Have connected unlocked phones (in the past) w/o a problem & I'm on AT&T, also. I'll use the 950 IMEI ...

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
S/B No problem ...
Have connected unlocked phones (in the past) w/o a problem & I'm on AT&T, also. I'll use the 950 IMEI ...

Will I need a new SIM card for these phones? I think the 950's are nano-sim, which is smaller than the SIM in the 920? Is that correct? And AT&T only needs an IMEI number from a phone they support in order to activate the SIM?

Aren't you also supposed to do something with the 950XL phones in terms of the SIM before you even turn them on in order to ensure a smooth activation with AT&T, perhaps just get a SIM installed and activated?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Will I need a new SIM card for these phones? I think the 950's are nano-sim, which is smaller than the SIM in the 920? Is that correct? Correct
And AT&T only needs an IMEI number from a phone they support in order to activate the SIM? i.e. your current device, or the 950 from the BOGO

Aren't you also supposed to do something with the 950XL phones in terms of the SIM before you even turn them on in order to ensure a smooth activation with AT&T, perhaps just get a SIM installed and activated? I've found my AT&T store to be quite accommodating ... it appears the GSM carriers (AT&T, TMobile) are quite helpful, they need to retain subs. I'll simply reboot the phone w my current nano sim ... Take the sim home & activate on the phone w AT&T.

Comments in RED

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I just placed an order and I hope everything is working correctly. It does not show the 950 anywhere in the order details, but the BOGO appears to be live. I guess I'll see what happens.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So, I just placed an order and I hope everything is working correctly. It does not show the 950 anywhere in the order details, but the BOGO appears to be live. I guess I'll see what happens.

Same for me too. I ordered the 950XL with the BOGO (buy one, get one free) offer on the web site, but no indication of the free dock nor the free 950 on the order details.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
So, just out of curiosity I googled this deal and somehow ended up on the Canadian Microsoft site, or at least that's what I'm assuming based upon the currency and pricing that was being displayed. When you add the 950XL to your cart on that site and proceed to checkout, it shows the 950XL, the Display Dock and a 950. Not sure if something is up with the USA site. My order is also dated 11/23, which may not mean anything if they are timestamped based upon Redmond Washington time.

I really don't want to cancel the order out of fear something is wrong and then miss out on the opportunity to get the BOGO. I'm thinking they'll just have to make it right if something is screwed up.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I just chatted with 2 separate reps and both told me the website is not ready yet with the updated BOGO deal... told me to wait. Apparently they are aware of the problem and are working on it.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
To those that ordered when the website was having issues. I waited and JUST ordered (215am central) and it works ok now they fixed it. The cart showed the XL along with the 950 and dock at $0 in addition to the 950xl...

You may want to cancel your order and re-order to avoid any unpleasant issues.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm no longer able to cancel my first order and the Microsoft rep I chatted with also indicated he was not able to cancel it. He escalated it to have the missing items added, but that could take awhile. In the meantime I tried to place another order, which was promptly declined by my credit card company. What a cluster. It might be a lot easier to deal with all of this if it weren't 5am on Thanksgiving.

The orders for white 950XLs seemed to just start working correctly via the website within the last 30-60 minutes or so based upon my experience.

Here's hoping the 500 Windows mobile users throughout North America don't suddenly bum rush the remaining inventory.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
YES, I had to place another order this morning to include the 950 & Display dock.
Like you, could NOT cancel the original order.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs