Disappointed with front facing camera

diego15nets

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This is my 2nd day owning a 950XL, and I'm currently using the latest build on release preview (14393.479). Overall I'm loving the upgrade from the Icon to the 950XL. All apps including the photos and camera apps are updated.

Knowing the 950XL has a 5MP camera, I expected much more from the ffc. Even though I'm not a big selfie guy there are instances I like to take a selfie with my wife or family.

There is an obvious post processing issue with the camera software. The picture is taken decently but the post processing changes the lighting and adds a blur. This is very annoying! Image quality can be subjective but the difference in quality is very obvious.

To make sure I wasn't going crazy, I was able to capture a screenshot of before processing(the photo that is not saved by default) and post processing(the photo that is saved).

I will update my post shortly since I can't upload photos from the app...
wp_ss_20161207_0002.jpgwp_ss_20161207_0003.jpg

Is there anything anyone has found to get rid of this post effect? I've tried different selfie apps but get the same results, the only one that is slightly better is the "B612" app. Any advice, other than using the main camera haha, would be appreciated!

Last edited:

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Not a big selfie guy but I know that this is a very important feature and unfortunately there is something definitely wrong with the front facing camera algorithms.

This began with Denim update way back, where the final result show boosted contrast and crushed blacks and an oversharpening of the image.
Feedback should definitely be provided through the Feedback app.

diego15nets

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Not a big selfie guy but I know that this is a very important feature and unfortunately there is something definitely wrong with the front facing camera algorithms.

This began with Denim update way back, where the final result show boosted contrast and crushed blacks and an oversharpening of the image.
Feedback should definitely be provided through the Feedback app.

Thank you for the suggestion, I just posted this on the feedback hub. We can't let the software hold back the capabilities of the hardware.

diego15nets

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
On Lumia 930 it's a shi**y selfie too. Only works fine with ISO 100.

Yeah, I tried adjusting the ISO as well to see if I could offset the changes. Seems to help a bit but those software post effects are still ruining the photos.

I've only had lumias, I wonder if the issue is also on other brands such as the samsungs, HTCs, etc.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Been a problem since wp8.1

It's so annoying. Don't know why Microsoft won't fix it. I guess people stopped complaining about it? lol

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion, I just posted this on the feedback hub. We can't let the software hold back the capabilities of the hardware.

I recommend downloading a third party camera app, such as ProShot and Camera360Sight for better results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre