Love my 950 XL, but...

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Sadly,

In the next day or two, I'm switching to a droid device (Xiaomi Note 2). I've been a WP user ever since Nokia switched to Windows phone. I've always loved the OS, and still continue to do so. However the lack of apps is becoming more and more of a noticeable disadvantage to me. I've been very patient continuing to think...oh a WP version will eventually be released (NHL for example - I don't see this ever happening at this point). I work overseas, and like to have the NHL data and game streaming with me wherever I go. As a teacher there are educational apps that I use to which all have iOS and Android versions available but NO WP versions, and the mobile version web sites just don't function well. It's the same with my bank - there's no WP version of their mobile app - what's a guy to do? Keep waiting, and keep hoping?? Then there's the whole VPN issue to which I still have not yet been able to make work to this day, as well - my VPN service provider also does not make a WP version of their mobile app. Consequently, I can't access Facebook, or Youtube, and others on my phone (as I live and work in China where many things are blocked - a working VPN is the only way to continue to have access).

My ONLY concern switching, is MS Office. Not that I use it a lot on my Windows phone, but knowing that it is there, and that I can have access to my documents, and can read, edit, attach them to emails, etc. all from my phone is a bonus. I have used it, just not often. Currently I can do this without a subscription to Office 365, and I've heard that to use Office mobile on an Android device requires a subscription to use it. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a free alternative?

llckll

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
That is my concern as well. The app gap. Overall, I like the phone, but not having apps or having apps but that don't work is a tough situation.

The camera is keeping me with the 950 xl. Takes awesome shots.

Sent from mTalk

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the OP here. There are just some select apps that are missing for me in the store that makes WP a poor choice. I have moved to android. To the OP concern, if you are not really editing docs much on your device and really just need to view them, Google has apps for going it. Google Docs, Sheets, and Presentation work with files from Word, Excel, and PowerPoint respectively. You can do some minor edits as well (formatting changes may or may not work well but I haven't tried).

Sent from mTalk

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Google has apps for going it. Google Docs, Sheets, and Presentation work with files from Word, Excel, and PowerPoint respectively. You can do some minor edits as well (formatting changes may or may not work well but I haven't tried).

Sent from mTalk

As I live and work in China - Google services are also blocked - so not sure whether this is a viable alternative or not, unless they'll work with a VPN.

jazen

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
The camera is keeping me with the 950 xl. Takes awesome shots.

How does Sony Xperia cameras stack up against the Lumia? Not that I am trying to drive people off, but I figured if anyone knows how to do a good camera phone, it will be Sony. After all, it seems any phone with a camera worth praising uses a Sony image sensor these days also.

llckll

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
How does Sony Xperia cameras stack up against the Lumia? Not that I am trying to drive people off, but I figured if anyone knows how to do a good camera phone, it will be Sony. After all, it seems any phone with a camera worth praising uses a Sony image sensor these days also.

No idea.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You have to do what works for you @nadrjo915.

You would think but not really sadly. The new one seems to have a decent camera though, the Sony Xperia XZ. Skip all of the Sony Xperia X phones imo, even though the XA Ultra isn't bad though.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I made the switch to Android. I still love the Windows Mobile OS better then Android. The camera on the 950XL is simply stunning. It's the app gap that finally made me switch over. If I could have run android apps on my 950XL I doubt I would have switched.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
You can do basic viewing and editing on an Android phone without an Office 365 subscription, just like with Windows 10 Mobile. You gain extra features with the subscription such as tracking and reviewing changes, inserting page breaks, and more.

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch to Android. I still love the Windows Mobile OS better then Android. The camera on the 950XL is simply stunning. It's the app gap that finally made me switch over. If I could have run android apps on my 950XL I doubt I would have switched.

100% AGREED! I love the Windows mobile OS...it's a pleasure to use - and the camera -yeaaa, unbeatable IMO. If it wasn't for the app gap, I'd never switch.

llckll

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
100% AGREED! I love the Windows mobile OS...it's a pleasure to use - and the camera -yeaaa, unbeatable IMO. If it wasn't for the app gap, I'd never switch.

While I do agree the camera is quite good (couple reasons why I'm using 950 xl) it does have plethora issues my main one being:

- when taking multiple shots, I can only take 4-5 burst shots then it goes into saving mode and I cannot take anymore shots after 4-5 seconds.

Sent from mTalk

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Sadly,

In the next day or two, I'm switching to a droid device (Xiaomi Note 2). I've been a WP user ever since Nokia switched to Windows phone. I've always loved the OS, and still continue to do so. However the lack of apps is becoming more and more of a noticeable disadvantage to me. I've been very patient continuing to think...oh a WP version will eventually be released (NHL for example - I don't see this ever happening at this point).

I'm in a similar boat to you. Been using Blackberry for many many years now and i love their OS. It's in my opinion the best out there but sadly everyday that goes by, more and more Apps get left behind so i also purchased a Android device. It just eases the pain of having to do work arounds and also asking people to go out of their way to connect with me.

The Xiaomi Note 2 has got some insane specs and I'm sure you will love it!

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I definitely would have went iOS instead of android. Much better ecosystem than google mess of one. But yeah gotta do what works for you.

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Xiaomi Note 2...and would you believe it - it came preloaded with Office Mobile already installed - including Cortana. I'm pretty stoked! So far it's looking okay...but I was unable to sync contacts from an older Microsoft Live account. I was able to sync the ones from a current Outlook account, but the other was tricky. I had to log in via web to the LIVE account, export my contacts, then import them via web into my outlook account, then re-sync on my phone. Overall though - a pretty nice device so far!

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
You would better never go again to China, since using restricted services through VPN is a crime still ;)

Huh? I live and work here, not much I can do about it. FYI just about every expat living in China (business persons, teachers, corporate executives, whoever) - are USING VPNs daily! It's pretty much a fact of life here, and for many it's the only way to survive. There are companies and corporations using it because it's the only way to keep in touch with what's going on outside of China. Certainly not a crime that I know of.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Huh? I live and work here, not much I can do about it. FYI just about every expat living in China (business persons, teachers, corporate executives, whoever) - are USING VPNs daily! It's pretty much a fact of life here, and for many it's the only way to survive. There are companies and corporations using it because it's the only way to keep in touch with what's going on outside of China. Certainly not a crime that I know of.

Maybe it's just "against laws" but not really a crime.

I first read this thread today, you are in the same boat as many which are choosing switch to another OS due the lack of apps, maybe in some months the option of (maybe) having a full Win10 on a phone will give you hopes to return.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb