Random restarts-950XL

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Well after one day of excessive use and I mean excessive, video taking, what's app, phone calls interrupting video taking, I have still 40% left on my phone and not once any sign of crash/reboot. Really looks like the battery was my problem.

Oh cool. Good that it worked for you. I'm planning to go to Microsoft Store today. I'll post whatever they tell me once I get back.

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I went to the store today and told them about the issue I was having. They initially said they didn't have any replacement parts and wanted me to send the phone to PALCO. But I told them I shouldn't have to pay for this as it wasn't my fault. The tech went back inside and came back with a new phone (without the battery), said that was the last piece. If it didn't work, then I would have to send it to PALCO. Much better now, the restarts are still happening, but it's not as bad as it was with the previous one. I'm trying to not update the phone (this one's on 10586 or something). The good part about this was my old phone's display was cracked, so getting a new phone was a plus...the bad part is the issue hasn't been entirely solved. I need to see if a new battery will do the trick.

On a side note, did anyone notice the keys on the Touch Cover for the new Surface Pro have some sort of a push back mechanism that kinda feels awkward when typing?

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Must admit, this is starting to annoy me too.

Mine doesn't restart. I just get a green flash across the screen and it shuts down! Need to do a soft reset button hold to get it to restart.

No MS shops in the UK so can't take it in. The CS team passed me onto another company that deals with warranty and they aren't interested without sending it away. Not prepared to be without a phone. Do i stump up for a new battery or do a hard reset [on slow ring]???

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Must admit, this is starting to annoy me too.

Mine doesn't restart. I just get a green flash across the screen and it shuts down! Need to do a soft reset button hold to get it to restart.

No MS shops in the UK so can't take it in. The CS team passed me onto another company that deals with warranty and they aren't interested without sending it away. Not prepared to be without a phone. Do i stump up for a new battery or do a hard reset [on slow ring]???

Yeah, I was having that issue as well combined with the random restart...hard reset didnt work...seems like a new battery is doing the trick, atleast for most of them...i had tried with another battery (not new) and it didn't work for me...so I ordered a new one from eBay...have to see if it works...if not rounded and fonejoy are the only options left.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I went to the store today and told them about the issue I was having. They initially said they didn't have any replacement parts and wanted me to send the phone to PALCO. But I told them I shouldn't have to pay for this as it wasn't my fault. The tech went back inside and came back with a new phone (without the battery), said that was the last piece. If it didn't work, then I would have to send it to PALCO. Much better now, the restarts are still happening, but it's not as bad as it was with the previous one. I'm trying to not update the phone (this one's on 10586 or something). The good part about this was my old phone's display was cracked, so getting a new phone was a plus...the bad part is the issue hasn't been entirely solved. I need to see if a new battery will do the trick.

On a side note, did anyone notice the keys on the Touch Cover for the new Surface Pro have some sort of a push back mechanism that kinda feels awkward when typing?
Glad it worked out, kind of. Sell the new one on eBay and get 640xl. A far superior phone for so much less money. It works perfectly with none of the 950xl issues

Sent from mTalk

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Glad it worked out, kind of. Sell the new one on eBay and get 640xl. A far superior phone for so much less money. It works perfectly with none of the 950xl issues

Sent from mTalk
I was thinking the same...but i'm not sure if anyone would actually buy this for a good price...knowing the reputation it has for all it's issues. And the camera's also an issue, need a good one.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give my "fix" so far for my random restarts.

I noticed that I experienced much like what others were getting on their phone. Freezing, Green screens, etc. The trend I noticed was that I was usually getting a random restart when a notification comes in. Specifically, I noticed that my phone would reboot at certain times when I would get a Skype Preview notification, a Facebook Notification, Messenger Notifications, or other apps that are using the more modern app framework (namely, apps created with bridges or UWP).

This got me thinking, what happens if I turned off notifications?

Doing so basically worked for me, I hadn't experienced reboots, but that being said I had to rely on live tiles for my notifications. This wasn't going to cut it. So then I thought what else could be wrong with the notification.

.... The Chime.

I noticed that when I would get a notification and the phone freezes and reboots, the chime would play and be stuck on a loop after being frozen. So what I did was change the default notification sounds on the apps that I use to ones that weren't default.

So far, I haven't experienced any random reboots since I have done this. My hunch is that there was a point in time when MS changed the notification sounds on the newer builds to different sounds. It could potentially be that these new sounds don't get properly flashed into the NAND somehow and causes your phone to intermittently reboot.

I could be completely wrong, but this is my experience. I am on my 2nd 950 XL and 2nd Battery and still experienced issues with rebooting and freezing, but changing out the notification sounds worked to give me a more stable experience.

Hopefully this helps some others out there too! Let me know if it does!

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give my "fix" so far for my random restarts.

I noticed that I experienced much like what others were getting on their phone. Freezing, Green screens, etc. The trend I noticed was that I was usually getting a random restart when a notification comes in. Specifically, I noticed that my phone would reboot at certain times when I would get a Skype Preview notification, a Facebook Notification, Messenger Notifications, or other apps that are using the more modern app framework (namely, apps created with bridges or UWP).

This got me thinking, what happens if I turned off notifications?

Doing so basically worked for me, I hadn't experienced reboots, but that being said I had to rely on live tiles for my notifications. This wasn't going to cut it. So then I thought what else could be wrong with the notification.

.... The Chime.

I noticed that when I would get a notification and the phone freezes and reboots, the chime would play and be stuck on a loop after being frozen. So what I did was change the default notification sounds on the apps that I use to ones that weren't default.

So far, I haven't experienced any random reboots since I have done this. My hunch is that there was a point in time when MS changed the notification sounds on the newer builds to different sounds. It could potentially be that these new sounds don't get properly flashed into the NAND somehow and causes your phone to intermittently reboot.

I could be completely wrong, but this is my experience. I am on my 2nd 950 XL and 2nd Battery and still experienced issues with rebooting and freezing, but changing out the notification sounds worked to give me a more stable experience.

Hopefully this helps some others out there too! Let me know if it does!

I did have the issue of the chime being stuck on a loop as well. And I did change the sound to a different one that was not the default. I've also not had this issue for a while now. But I didn't think the solution was the change of sound until you mentioned about it. I had just changed it because I wanted something different but you are right, that seems to have fixed the issue.

The other issue is, my phone doesn't just reboot when I get a notification. It reboots whenever it wants to. In the middle of me doing something. And I can't use my camera anymore as it reboots every time I click a picture. Also, you mentioned you were on a second battery and that it didn't work. Was it a new battery that you tried? And was it the genuine one?...I only ask because I also tried with another battery and it didn't fix it but it wasn't a new one. I also ordered a new one off eBay and that didn't work at all, as in the phone wouldn't even start and flashed the wrong battery sign.

sriram prabhu

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi aimulaidni,

Did your issue got resolved? What was the issue with your phone and what you did to resolve it? I'm facing exactly the same issue. Faster response would be much appreciated. Thanks!

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi aimulaidni,

Did your issue got resolved? What was the issue with your phone and what you did to resolve it? I'm facing exactly the same issue. Faster response would be much appreciated. Thanks!

No sir, still facing these issue...i had to initiate a return for the battery I bought from eBay and have yet to buy one from amazon. I'll keep you updated though.

sriram prabhu

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I could see my battery bulged. I'm trying to understand, if this the reason for reboots. 6 months before i had a similar issue but not this much worse, when I gave my phone in service centre, they had replaced my board.
If this time it going to the same issue, my warranty is over and I cannot bear that expense ??????

sriram prabhu

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I could see my battery bulged. I'm trying to understand, if this the reason for reboots. 6 months before i had a similar issue but not this much worse, when I gave my phone in service centre, they had replaced my board.
If this time it going to the same issue, my warranty is over and I cannot bear that expense 😐

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
If this time it going to the same issue, my warranty is over and I cannot bear that expense 😐

Try going to the Microsoft store and see if they can issue a refund like Mike suggested. Or you can ask them for a replacement device since its not your fault. Or you can order a battery in the meantime. I'm assuming you are in India (forgive me if you are not, honest mistake). I saw a thread where someone ordered a new battery from rounded.com for ~Rs. 1700, shipping included. See if that will work.

I actually find it very interesting that all these issues started happening right after the warranty ended for people who were the first ones to buy the phone when it came out. Like Microsoft knew all along and just didn't care since they knew the warranty would end by the time this issue would pop up. I know, silly me.

sriram prabhu

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Try going to the Microsoft store and see if they can issue a refund like Mike suggested. Or you can ask them for a replacement device since its not your fault. Or you can order a battery in the meantime. I'm assuming you are in India (forgive me if you are not, honest mistake). I saw a thread where someone ordered a new battery from rounded.com for ~Rs. 1700, shipping included. See if that will work.

I actually find it very interesting that all these issues started happening right after the warranty ended for people who were the first ones to buy the phone when it came out. Like Microsoft knew all along and just didn't care since they knew the warranty would end by the time this issue would pop up. I know, silly me.

No Problem, I'm from India. I went to Microsoft care center and they say they do not have the Battery and they have to order it. To add-on the said, they already have one customer, who has ordered a battery a month ago and still waiting.
I've seriously lost the hope on Microsoft, they just like that stopped the complete support for a phone which they as Flagship device, once the Warranty period is completed. I have 50000 Rupees phone which is sleeping in my cupboard useless :cry:
The batteries i see online are mostly doesn't seems to be Original. Have no clue on how to get a new Battery.

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
No Problem, I'm from India. I went to Microsoft care center and they say they do not have the Battery and they have to order it. To add-on the said, they already have one customer, who has ordered a battery a month ago and still waiting.
I've seriously lost the hope on Microsoft, they just like that stopped the complete support for a phone which they as Flagship device, once the Warranty period is completed. I have 50000 Rupees phone which is sleeping in my cupboard useless :cry:
The batteries i see online are mostly doesn't seems to be Original. Have no clue on how to get a new Battery.

Okay...finally got my hands on a new one...it was from amazon (seller E Stars) and it doesn't for some reason now come up with the result when you search for a battery...have been using it for the past 10 hrs and so far no reboots. I also believe it is original because it looks exactly like the one that came with my phone. The only thing is you won't be able to see the Microsoft logo on the front in the pic posted online. That's because they had to remove it bcoz of legal issues. Even when the battery arrived, there was a black tape covering the Microsoft logo, I had to remove it and confirm that it was the actual one.

Almost didn't get it bcoz of USPS. The main office couldnt track it and said that the package might be lost. So I had to drive around in my car till I spotted the carrier. It was lying in one corner of the van.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Ive been getting a lot of random restarts....it was fine 3 weeks ago but have gotten progressively worse. What in the world have they done with my wonderful phone??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05