2G AT&T goes bye bye

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
As promised, AT&T's 2G network went dark on 1/1. My primary SIM is my TMobile SIM and my AT&T was on 'standby' in my 950 XL DS. As such, I always had my phone configured to have my TMobile SIM as the primary data SIM and the AT&T secondary. Can't do that anymore, as my AT&T SIM will no longer be recognized. Had to change it to the 'primary' (for data) and my actual primary (TMobile) as secondary. A pain to switch back and forth and will definitely make me reconsider a dual SIM phone in the future, as well as whether or not to keep my 2nd line (ATT). TMobile will not be shutting their 2G off for a few more years.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
As promised, AT&T's 2G network went dark on 1/1. My primary SIM is my TMobile SIM and my AT&T was on 'standby' in my 950 XL DS. As such, I always had my phone configured to have my TMobile SIM as the primary data SIM and the AT&T secondary. Can't do that anymore, as my AT&T SIM will no longer be recognized. Had to change it to the 'primary' (for data) and my actual primary (TMobile) as secondary. A pain to switch back and forth and will definitely make me reconsider a dual SIM phone in the future, as well as whether or not to keep my 2nd line (ATT). TMobile will not be shutting their 2G off for a few more years.

HP Elite X3 does 3G on the 2nd slot.

was in the exact same situation as you (but two Australian carriers), but am now using the X3.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
So that's why I have no signal on my second SIM. I have two AT&T SIM cards in my 950 XL. Just bought an iPhone 7 though to be my new work phone. Dual SIM was always a bad solution on the 950 XL with only 2G data.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
yea don't worry, the chips only get better, as evidenced by the X3, one day dual LTE! :D

I wonder though about technical limitations of having two radios and antenna on same frequencies. There could very likely be near field effect causing this not to work. So this limitation may be physics, not chipset features.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I wonder though about technical limitations of having two radios and antenna on same frequencies. There could very likely be near field effect causing this not to work. So this limitation may be physics, not chipset features.

Dual sim phones is nothing new though... They're up to 3g/4g now :)

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. Although, I kind of flipped back and forth between AT&T and T-Mobile being the main, but I like to keep T-Mobile*main when I can because*group texts don't come through on 2G for*T-Mobile.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Well this issue finally forced me to get an iPhone. Can't believe I did it, but with no W10M phones for sale at AT&T, I had no choice.

At least there alot of Microsoft apps for iOS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2