How to check an used 950 XL?

chris_t

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

I'm about to upgrade :) Found a guy who's willing to trade an used 950XL for my used 830, plus some cash.

I've read pretty much everything about 950s' problems, yet I have no idea how to check the phone. Is there any way to make sure the phone is in good condition, apart the visual check? What should I look for?

Thanks.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I think the problems you are referring to are actually based on an earlier OS build that WAS on the phone. The latest versions of Win 10 are MUCH better and the 950 and 950XL are like a different phone. It's MUCH more stable. While the phone originally sold in the 500 dollar range it's now much closer to the 350 to 400 range, and often you can find it for even less than that! I got mine, WITH dock and case for 280!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Every model has problems or tends towards certain problems, doesn't mean every phone of that model will have issues.

I would use it for a bit, make sure the ESN/IMEI is clean and that Reset Protection isn't on.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi there. I'm about to upgrade :) Found a guy who's willing to trade an used 950XL for my used 830, plus some cash. I've read pretty much everything about 950s' problems, yet I have no idea how to check the phone. Is there any way to make sure the phone is in good condition, apart the visual check? What should I look for? Thanks.

Get the 950XL right away before it's gone. Then reset it so it updates OS to latest. Best deal.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
but why go from a superior phone to an inferior phone? something sounds fishy to me.... maybe its plagued with problems? or maybe its running like crap because he installed the insider preview fast ring? make sure what OS is installed on there... and check the usual stuff like buttons/screen/Bluetooth/wifi/camera/battery... ect ect.

chris_t

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Exactly my question. Anyway, I've got the IMEI, will check the phone's service records and will go on with the deal if everything looks good.

Thanks all for the help.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm just saying maybe it ran like crap because he had fast ring on there, so he wants the 830 instead that has 8.1 and he thinks it's more stable? could be all it needs is a restore with WDRT and then update it to the most recent version of prod build... after you check it out and everything works, just restore it with WDRT and enjoy the prod build...

chris_t

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, my 830 runs the latest official W10 :)

I'll make the trade, I have a good friend that works at Vodafone, and the phone was bought from them. My friend checked and assured me that the warranty is still valid, until december 2017, so it will be 100% safe :)

chris_t

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, just wanted to let you know that it was "thanks but no thanks" after all :) Had my doubts that the user would have downgraded to a 830 from the 950 XL, but said, what the heck, it's his business, not mine.

But in the meanwhile, I got the service history of the phone from my friend working at Vodafone. The phone was sent in warranty in december, with the following issues: screen flashing and interrupting, random reboots on a daily basis and phone turning off when at 30% power. The usual 950 problems. Returned form service on december 15, sold to another guy, this one was looking to trade it for the 830.

Couldn't take the risk to put in a flawlessly working phone and an extra amount of cash for a problematic 950. I suppose service changed the battery, as they usually do, but I just wouldn't take the risk.

Will wait for the Idol 4S to go global.

Thanks everyone for the support.

pakmul

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by xandros9
Every model has problems or tends towards certain problems, doesn't mean every phone of that model will have issues.

I would use it for a bit, make sure the ESN/IMEI is clean and that Reset Protection isn't on.

What do you mean by "make sure the ESN/IMEI is clean" ?
How do you check if ESN/IMEI is clean ?

Thanks!

MAK11

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Well, just wanted to let you know that it was "thanks but no thanks" after all :) Had my doubts that the user would have downgraded to a 830 from the 950 XL, but said, what the heck, it's his business, not mine.

But in the meanwhile, I got the service history of the phone from my friend working at Vodafone. The phone was sent in warranty in december, with the following issues: screen flashing and interrupting, random reboots on a daily basis and phone turning off when at 30% power. The usual 950 problems. Returned form service on december 15, sold to another guy, this one was looking to trade it for the 830.

Couldn't take the risk to put in a flawlessly working phone and an extra amount of cash for a problematic 950. I suppose service changed the battery, as they usually do, but I just wouldn't take the risk.

Will wait for the Idol 4S to go global.

Thanks everyone for the support.

These are symptoms of a busted battery so the phone most probably didn't have any issue. Slap in a brand new battery are you were good to go. But yeah buying second hand phones is always tricky and not recommended at all ,especially Lumias given that they are no longer under warranty from Microsoft since September 30 (they sold/outsourced the whole thing to B2X IIRC which is ****ty as **** but then again they can't really do much either given that manufacturing has stopped 6 months ago and they are running out of spare parts now just like the Band 2 which they are no longer exchanging anymore because there are no more left..so they directly refund you if you bought it through the Microsoft store)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos