So.... I'm a dumbass

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's honestly easier just to replace the whole LCD. The LCD comes with a frame etc too and you simply transfer the internals and rear casing to the new LCD/frame. The likelihood of successfully separating the front glass from the lcd screen is slim at best and then if you were successful I can bet the finish and usability will be far less quality than an entire new LCD unit

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I give you credit for trying this on your own. It looks like a delicate procedure that requires some experience. Have you repaired phones before? If so, you may be successful.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I've done many repairs to personal devices, but never separating parts like this. Either way, if I break it I either buy a new phone or the full frame. No stress.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've done many repairs to personal devices, but never separating parts like this. Either way, if I break it I either buy a new phone or the full frame. No stress.

Well then it sounds like you're in good shape. I think some people were worried you might have gotten yourself into something you couldn't handle. Hope it works, let us know.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh, not saying I can handle it. It could turn into an epic failure. My point in posting was to get a vid of an XL, not 950, or get advice from someone who's done it. It seems to have gone down the path of opinions. But I will likely be doing the surgery weekend after this coming.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Allen Rhodes
Oh, not saying I can handle it. It could turn into an epic failure. My point in posting was to get a vid of an XL, not 950, or get advice from someone who's done it. It seems to have gone down the path of opinions. But I will likely be doing the surgery weekend after this coming.

You can handle it in that you're prepared to throw money at it if you break the thing, and that doesn't worry you. That means you're doing this for kicks and not out of desperation. Good Times. We're all a little bit happier in our lives knowing you're not about to give yourself an almighty downer.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

best of luck! post vids! :D

NirosNasaro

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem on my 950xl. I watched the German video before I found this thread and it gave me hope that you could replace the glass w/o even opening the phone. I actually managed to find the screen assembly on Amazon, used but original for$115. I'll try to change the glass, if it goes south I'll have a back up. Good luck Allen if you're going to give it a try as well!

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
appreciate the link, but now sure how it applies to my original post. Im replacing JUST the glass. This video, nor any other, shows just the glass removal. thanks tho...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05