Microsoft is ridiculous: Return my phone saying I did intentional damage

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I sent my Lumia 950XL 2 times for repair. The first time because my second sim card slot didn't recognise the sim card and Microsoft returned my device saying that "show intentional damage" "After careful inspection, we found signs of physical or intentional damage to the device that is unrelated to a defect in materials or workmanship. This type of damage is not eligible for warranty service"
The second time I sent my device for repair because the mic is not working well because people that I call said that they can't hear me well and again Microsoft return my device with the same excuse "intentional damage..."

Microsoft can release the best surface phone and I won't buy it. Lost a customer.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Keep communicating with them? With Microsoft?

Nope, with B2X. There have unfortunately been quite a few reports that they're not easy to work with. If you are certain that you didn't damage the device, and their claim is erroneous, then don't give up. You have to be persistent.

On the other hand, if they're right, and you did damage the device, then you're out of luck.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
B2X is bad in USA as well. Told the MS Store rep they couldn't help him (indirectly me). The rep hung up on B2X and just gave me a new device on the spot. However, that is not a possibility in EU. Sorry to hear about your experience.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
.... A classic case of either office politics or a rushed decision.

When out sourcing support those who make the final decision usually base it on stats such as volume capacity and repair chain / distribution. As opposed to looking at the aforesaid factors and customer feedback.

There are some care points in london but they want to charge an arm and a leg for simple repairs, I took my 920 in to get my usb port replaced as my replacement never arrived (although the one prior from the same seller arrived pretty quickly - a few weeks or so) so that I can give it to a family member to use albeit temporarily. They quoted £80 and for perspective you can buy a second hand L930 for £80 or so.

So, I fixed my usb port and it took several minutes - opened up the back cover, used a pair tweezer to lift out the port and simply squeezed the port slightly so that it would grip the charger once again when plugged in. This is what the care point was going to charge me £80 for :grincry:. I persisted and they finally caved and said they weren't going to replace the port because they had none in stock despite promising same day repair with a new part... Needless to say I just walked out.

If your phone is out of warranty and don't mind fixing things yourself, look up some repair videos on youtube or instructions on ifixit and do it yourself :winktongue:

A) you will learn something new and B) gain new transferable skills :).

joaoalbuquerque

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Similar is happening to me. Sent my 640XL for the third time because of random reboots. The first time, they changed the display. Phone returned with a new display but rebooting randomly like before. Sent a second time and returned with "No Issues" in the report. Sent it back a few days ago for the third time. I am afraid I am getting it back with no work done, or with an "intentionally damaged" in the report. B2X says that all Lumias are repaired (no repair at all) in Hungary.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Similar is happening to me. Sent my 640XL for the third time because of random reboots. The first time, they changed the display. Phone returned with a new display but rebooting randomly like before. Sent a second time and returned with "No Issues" in the report. Sent it back a few days ago for the third time. I am afraid I am getting it back with no work done, or with an "intentionally damaged" in the report. B2X says that all Lumias are repaired (no repair at all) in Hungary.
I had to send a randomly rebooting 830 back to MS twice. The first time they just ran the WDRT and called it a day.

The second time, I then left a lengthy note explaining how I've already done it, etc. and that the issue persists with some other details and it got swapped.

I work in tech support and I can understand the intentional damage part having seen someone try to warranty a MacBook that had an unfortunate alcoholic incident but it's a fine line and likely comes down to the judgment of a couple people on a case.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I sent my Lumia 950XL 2 times for repair. The first time because my second sim card slot didn't recognise the sim card and Microsoft returned my device saying that "show intentional damage" "After careful inspection, we found signs of physical or intentional damage to the device that is unrelated to a defect in materials or workmanship. This type of damage is not eligible for warranty service"

I work in tech support and I can understand the intentional damage part having seen someone try to warranty a MacBook that had an unfortunate alcoholic incident but it's a fine line and likely comes down to the judgment of a couple people on a case.
OP, can you clarify if they said its "intentional OR physical". Physical could be something other than intentional. For example, if a phone was dropped and showed no external damage and maybe even still worked for a while, it could still show evidence of the drop inside the phone.

I'm not suggesting the phone was dropped or anything just want to be on the same page because the best follow up by an owner could be different if the service center thought it was possibly accidental physical damage as opposed to them thinking someone intentionally damaged the device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes