Honest answers for 950xl

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
We have a dozen L640XL's that we run at our restaurants explicitly for email so we do not always have to be strapped to a desktop or laptop for grubhub orders, etc. All 12 of them needed to be flashed back to 8.1 the email situation became so bad for a while on W10M. At that point I began to unload all of my Lumia phones and accessories here and on ebay. Please search around the many threads discussing these mail issues. I still have my 950 and 920 and HTC m8. I still hope one day to be back to some Windows Mobile device, but for now I have committed to retrench for 1 year.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The fanboyism is strong here.

Well the OP did say he wasn't a fan of the other two platforms/wasn't working for him, and wanted others to chime in on whether W10M, and the 950 XL, would be a good alternative at this point and time.

So seriously, all 13 of those phones (640XLs/950) running W10M are exhibiting same issues w/email and reboots? I didn't include 920 or HTC M8 since they weren't eligible for upgrade.

What are you running for builds, insider, production?

Were the 640 XLs "JUST" upgraded to W10M and left at that, or hard reset afterwards w/o using a backup, in other words, a fresh or clean install?

I've had my fair share of problems with W10M but even I find it hard to fathom each and every device you mentioned incurred exact same ailment(s) across the board.

Last edited:

Scott King2

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
This may be a bad thing to say here but I loved my Blackberry passport easily my most favorite phone just reluctant to get another being they are getting to be pretty old tech.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
This may be a bad thing to say here but I loved my Blackberry passport easily my most favorite phone just reluctant to get another being they are getting to be pretty old tech.

I'm like you BlackBerry 10 was the thing, until development halter, and now being pushed for "maintenance".

I like their take on Android but is far from mature. I'm not going through the heart ache of it getting ditched in favour of something else down the track, hence I went with iOS and windows. At least I know the companies behind these platforms are working on them tirelessly.

Back on topic...

HHwzkm0.jpg

I have a variety, forwarders, to both outlook, gmail,
aol, yahoo ..

Windows not failed me yet, neither has iOS.

Sent from mTalk on 950XL

Scott King2

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Hahaha no I have always been a fan of that look since the Nokia I tried one a long time back perhaps model 850 or 840? Something like that and had to return it since it had a lot of issues but always liked them.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I use the 950XL at home, with the dock setup to create my invoices. When I am mobile, I can show my clients their info, wether I have a data connection or not because it saved on the phone with no extra steps.
I manage both my "Hotmail" and Gmail through my 950XL. No Problem.
Usually when I have a browser issue, it manifests the same on both Windows and Android.
In my opinion, most of the issues I had at release with WP10 have been fixed.
The BB Passport SE was one of the most beautiful devices I have ever owned, but it was even less practical than Windows Phone. I now keep multiple Androids for spare, but WP is my primary OS.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Well the OP did say he wasn't a fan of the other two platforms/wasn't working for him, and wanted other to chime in on whether W10M, and the 950 XL, would be a good alternative at this point and time.

So seriously, all 13 of those phones (640XLs/950) running W10M are exhibiting same issues w/email and reboots? I didn't include 920 or HTC M8 since they weren't eligible for upgrade.

What are you running for builds, insider, production?

Were the 640 XLs "JUST" upgraded to W10M and left at that, or hard reset afterwards w/o using a backup, in other words, a fresh or clean install?

I've had my fair share of problems with W10M but even I find it hard to fathom each and every device you mentioned incurred exact same ailment(s) across the board.
Take my advice and browse the forums here about some bad updates to Outlook Mail. I did have the HTC M8 running W10, there was even an update to W10M for the M8 even for us that were running on the insider build. All other 13 phones were on standard production builds and all 13 phones had the exact same problems, and that was struggles to open emails. My suggestion to the OP is that if you are depending on email to run your business then stick it out with the iPhone for now. W10M is still not ready for prime time. Again, please do skim the forums and you will see that I am not making this up. I was a Windows Phone/Mobile die hard. I cannot recommend anyone to use a Windows Mobile in its current state. I think it is irresponsible to even do so.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Take my advice and browse the forums here about some bad updates to Outlook Mail. I did have the HTC M8 running W10, there was even an update to W10M for the M8 even for us that were running on the insider build. All other 13 phones were on standard production builds and all 13 phones had the exact same problems, and that was struggles to open emails. My suggestion to the OP is that if you are depending on email to run your business then stick it out with the iPhone for now. W10M is still not ready for prime time. Again, please do skim the forums and you will see that I am not making this up. I was a Windows Phone/Mobile die hard. I cannot recommend anyone to use a Windows Mobile in its current state. I think it is irresponsible to even do so.
I have not had the such problems with my Lumia 1520 WM10 and with my current Lumia 950 XL DS. A current insider build seems to be a good one (15047), including Outlook Mail (I like that new colorful one). About browser, Edge seems to be good, even it is hard to get rid of bad name of the past. I am using Monument browser too and I like it. Well, there is always some people with good experience and some with bad experience.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

So just to be clear...

* You say... "email from say UPS would force my phone to lock up". Does it ever recover or is manually powering on/off required?

* Then... "opening some emails caused my phone to manually reboot". How often does this happen and which phone since you are only referring to "one"?

* In the main quote above you now say all 13 phones "struggle to open emails". Does that include "all" rebooting too or does it vary from device to device?

* As for the HTC M8, it wasn't officially destine for W10M upgrade so that's why I don't believe it is relevant here, nor is the 920.

* Skimmed through the forums a bit with no relevance to the degree you stated, and if something did appear it was on older unsupported devices. So if I'm wrong here please post links to those posts that relate to your specific problem.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I may not have many occasions to speak up but I sift through over 1000 emails a week. I have had the HTC 8x, the 928 and the Icon as well as several IOS devices, phone and tablets. I have not had trouble "rendering" or EVER rebooting based on email received, so if that is a problem you've experienced, that is most assuredly not the norm. As for the OP's ability to conduct business from a phone, perhaps the occasional page rendering issues in Edge (very infrequent for me and when it does happen it's mild formatting things I can ignore), I will acknowledge he should give some thought to the phone choice. But please, I have not ever, ever had a reboot due to opening an email and I've gotten some from some pretty shady places (every business does from time to time). Now I'm also smart enough not to click on links offering "hot pics" or "you have a waiting invoice" or "fedex needs you to confirm your delivery". But the email problems have more been one of the live tile not updating or sometimes Office365 not synching on a timely basis but those problems are long gone and were short lived.

$.10

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I've had a fairly positive experience with Windows 10 mobile and lumia 950xl. I don't use it for business. But I do rely on email a lot, even webmail. The email app has been very stable for me realistically. Notifications and SMS is quite good. I love the drop down action center notifications and replying to texts straight from there.

But the phone itself has an inherent problem with random reboots for me personally, on production and preview builds. More so on preview builds. On my first replacement phone. First phone had faulty camera.

If you have no issues with the app gap, it's a great platform and ecosystem to sync across all your Windows devices.

Edit: I've used iphones since the iPhone 4 and Android since version 2.xxx. I have latest versions of all 3 platforms. I just currently like Windows 10 mobile. It's well integrated cross devices.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The email app is absolutely unreliable on W10M. Some builds ago just opening an email from say UPS would force my phone to lock up, and opening some emails caused my phone to manually reboot. If you rely on email do not make the switch right now.

I have not had any email problems on my past 950 xl or my present HP X3. If you haven't, I would use MRT to re-flash the phone with the latest release version of WM 10 and see if it happens there. I wouldn't recommend restoring but set up as a new one. A tried and true option I have used when needed.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have not had any email problems on my past 950 xl or my present HP X3. If you haven't, I would use MRT to re-flash the phone with the latest release version of WM 10 and see if it happens there. I wouldn't recommend restoring but set up as a new one. A tried and true option I have used when needed.
The thing that confuses me is (s)he says an entire fleet of 640XLs used in the business have the same problem, not just one phone.

I wouldn't totally rule out an obscure email app bug that gets triggered by something in emails.

Not mobile, but on my office PC, Outlook 2016 (Office 365) would crash for several months just when I opened a specific type of email from AmEx. It would crash a few seconds (an eternity for a PC CPU) after opening the email. If I wanted to read it, I had to quickly click on the option to read it in a browser and close it before Outlook crashed. The problem disappeared at some point.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I use my windows phone for work, the email works just fine and I haven't experienced the issues you have. I use office 365 for work. I also have an iPhone 7 plus, and it is a much better OS with the ecosystem than windows 10 mobile. Windows 10 Mobile can be better if you need to use continuum, also the email and calendar is better on W10M than iOS. There is the Outlook App on iOS that is much better than the first party iOS mail and calendar apps. As for which device, the Lumia 950 XL is a 2 year old device, I would rather go with the HP Elite X3 instead and continuum is much with the HP dedicated apps.

Scott King2

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I used the outlook app on iOS and I had to stop as of this morning every time I tried to send an email it would send an error telling me I needed to log in in order to email although I was already logged in

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I used the outlook app on iOS and I had to stop as of this morning every time I tried to send an email it would send an error telling me I needed to log in in order to email although I was already logged in

What is wrong with the native app? I use the native with all my EAS accounts, and apps for respective, gmail, yahoo, aol and zoho etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte