Lumia 950 XL features you love most?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@emmeborn - seeing as you're the first Lumia 950 XL Champion, was wondering what your take was on the 950 XL. What are your favorite features - or - what do you love about it MOST? And how does it stack up to the competition on the market today?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, the best and most stand-out feature of the Lumia 950XL, what really sets it above the competition from all the other Windows Phones, is that you can buy one from, like, shops and things without moving to the US (as is needed for Alcatel stuff, which isn't even available in France let alone here in the UK anywhere else, just in the US where no-one likes Windows Phones much anyway...) or taking out a second mortgage (like HP's option). The feature of being available to buy for the general public is very attractive when considering one's options. Often it is the only deciding factor.

emmeborn

Elite x3 & Lumia 950XL Champion
May 27, 2013
Visit site
My favorite feature of the 950 XL is the outstanding camera. The best camera I have used in a phone. I also use continuum a lot using the HP Elite X3 dock :) when I have to do some quick work things. Other things I like is the leather Mozo back that makes the phone stand out.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Double Tap To Wake, Glance, Continuum, Reachability (long press on the home button to bring the screen down), decent camera, triple led flash that doubles as the brightest flashlight I've seen on a phone, great dedicated camera button, looks nice, great value for money vs flagships on the other platforms, gorgeous screen that performs great in bright sunlight (except Glance which becomes invisible), would love to say Tap to Pay but I'm not in the US so we get forgotten about as per. Of all my Lumia's over the years I think this is now the best all rounder I've ever had. I loved the 1520 but the one minor fault I had with that was it was just a tiny bit too big and heavy and would just be that bit too uncomfortable in my pocket for my liking. The 950xl is perfect size and weight for me.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Interesting thread. I have written so mich about the few negatives on the device like the bad button placement, small size, terrible speakers; that I had forgotten the positive aspects.

Camera is definitely one of the best. Never tried tap to play. Kind of wish my X3 had it.

Sent from mTalk

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Interesting thread. I have written so mich about the few negatives on the device like the bad button placement, small size, terrible speakers; that I had forgotten the positive aspects.

Camera is definitely one of the best. Never tried tap to play. Kind of wish my X3 had it.

Sent from mTalk
Ya.
Realised long ago, there is no perfect phone.
920 wasn't perfect cos battery life was poor.
720 was near perfect, but it was midrange
830 was nearly perfect, nearly a flagship, etc
1520 was perfect but too big. And couldn't moved to W10M perfectly.
950XL is occasionally perfectly..... hot!!

... !!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
@raycpl - how is it 'hot'? Just the overall design?

I dig me some schmexy phones no doubt about it :)

I think the 950 XL has received a lot of undue criticism, but that's just me.

Hot as in temperature 🔥 !! I think anyone who got it when it first launch knew that would happen esp when its snapdragon was famed for heating up. But now with all the updates, at most it just warm up. Mine runs like a dream...

I really don't get all the fuss about phone design. 99.99% of people put their phones goes into a casing anyway. (I must confess, my three month 950XL wears nothing but a plastic screen protector!!) For me, the screen matters most. It has got to be clear and sharp without being blindingly bright, black mean black.
The power button placement is something I got used to. Could have been bigger though. Same thing for onscreen buttons, something I got used to without difficulty.
.. The camera, did I mention how good it is?? And it still has a physical button. That's important to me.

... !!

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
The 950 xl is an awesome phone by all means I just felt the 5.7 was a bit to much for me even though I have big hands. You can't even go wrong with a 950 even though there only about a 5% or 10% performance difference. Overall both share same camera and a beautiful screen. And both do kinda warm.

Brett Watters

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
The Windows Mobile interface is top. I've tried Android and my wife's iPhone. Just can't stand them.

Camera is still excellent. Wife has the previous iPhone the 950XL camera still kills it. Camera button is also big and it allows better shots.

Wireless charging is big. Easier to put your phone down than remember to plug it in. I rarely forget to charge it.

Continuum is great. Android is starting to add this, but there are times when you are dealing with lots of files (music, photos, emails, etc.) where it is just easier to plug in a monitor and work. Miracast is also useful.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Drawf_King I still prefer my 950Xl over my new work provided S8 although I installed the Microsoft launcher, office, outlook & excel and disabled google and as many of there services as possible which helps.

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I actually went back to use the Lumia 950 XL as my main phone. The outlook mail, outlook calendar and the screen is just so much better an experience on the Lumia phone. The outlook mail and calendar on the Samsung are not super good. OneDrive also feels mich better integrated with the Lumia phone and the camera. One really only realizes how spoiled one has been on the Lumia phone after one goes back to Android. I could not even install Cortana or Microsoft edge on my Android phone as it is not supported in my country.
Originally posted by MrockNroll
Drawf_King I still prefer my 950Xl over my new work provided S8 although I installed the Microsoft launcher, office, outlook & excel and disabled google and as many of there services as possible which helps.

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
being on and off the Lumia 950XL phone and using my Samsung galaxy S8 with an Microsoft Launcher on for some time now I have had time to compare and both. Lumia 950 XL strength's are being able to swoop battery, a high resolution camera, direct OneDr ive hook up, being able to see your text messages on the Win 10 pc when your phone is not nearby and you work, a better outlook and calendar experience overall, a real good screen with a high resolution, good third part apps(But can also be a security issue), great on screen keyboard, less exposes to hacker attacks(My android sees those quiet a bit), the awesome design(subjective I know), the tiles if one likes that, was supported for 5 years(stops December 2019), you use the phone less due to less apps. That is pretty much my compared experience The app gap can be a pain or not depending on how you wanna see it. Most app gap issues can be dealt with by using a mobile browser but a few cannot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss