Windows 10 mobile still not optimized for lumia 950 xl

Lazar 61

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft should do a lot of things to proper optimize OS for lumia 950 xl. Problems are heating, battery drain, non recognizing hardware - sensors and BT, and poor performance for expensive hardware

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The quality of the phones went down when they switched from Nokia to Microsoft branding. Alot of battery issues with those phones

Sent from Idol 4s

jason hogan1

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should do a lot of things to proper optimize OS for lumia 950 xl. Problems are heating, battery drain, non recognizing hardware - sensors and BT, and poor performance for expensive hardware

I've had all sorts of issues with mine. It's become embarrassing to use it in front of people with the latest phones by other vendors. Every update makes it worse. Ove done hard and soft resets in addition to involuntary daily reboots. I tried tech support today to see what my options were and frankly, they don't care. They aren't interested and they were actually pretty rude.

I'm pulling all of my business from Microsoft at this point. They absolutely trashed the Lumia line right after I bought this one and their lack of tact in tech support is pretty disturbing. I was pretty much all in on the ecosystem, now I'm all out. Every product, every subscription.

It would have been cheaper to give me a new phone for them, all I wanted them to do was fix this one. Instead I was patronized.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Did the right thing, if you're not happy with the service go elsewhere. It would be a bummer if you went elsewhere and had to return.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I've not had any issues with my 950XL. Are you part of the insider program?

Had issues with mine like reboots, battery drain, system app crashes and I've done the WDRT and it's still that way. I honestly thought that with each CU that it would've gotten better, in some cases it actually did but there's still too much wrong that a device with premium specs simply should not have.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@pedmar007 lol you didn't have a day 1 950xl, it's come a long way.

The odd quirk, reboot, I've seen other users experience the same thing on the other OS. Like when my friends want to show me something and it doesn't quite go that smooth. Happens to all.

The heating/battery, can't do anything about it, it's the snapdragon 810 that's the issue.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've had all sorts of issues with mine. It's become embarrassing to use it in front of people with the latest phones by other vendors. Every update makes it worse. Ove done hard and soft resets in addition to involuntary daily reboots. I tried tech support today to see what my options were and frankly, they don't care. They aren't interested and they were actually pretty rude.

I'm pulling all of my business from Microsoft at this point. They absolutely trashed the Lumia line right after I bought this one and their lack of tact in tech support is pretty disturbing. I was pretty much all in on the ecosystem, now I'm all out. Every product, every subscription.

It would have been cheaper to give me a new phone for them, all I wanted them to do was fix this one. Instead I was patronized.

Try even getting hold of google. (You basically can't).

If you had this complaint with another mobile OS maker, its doubtful you'd even be able to talk to anyone.

This soft of things is unfortunate, but its commercial reality. Apple did the same thing with risc based macs. Blackbery did the same thing with bb10. Windows 10 mobile is being replaced with windows 10 on arm. It's not commercially sound for them to support a product that's being phased out, any more than for them to support windows xp.

The unfortunate thing for you as a consumer, is its only two years ago the phone came out. Same sort of situation with those bb10 folks that purchases the passport.

I do feel for ya. But for myself, I'd rather Microsoft focused on creating a more desirable and powerful product. Perhaps when that is release this year or so, you'll find it runs better on your Lumia than win 10 mobile?

What I tend to do, is do research before I buy. See what the quirks are, and if I can live with them. Look at a lot of online reviews. Most hardware it seems has quirks or weak points, premium or not. Some of course more than others.

Overheating is a real common one in phones, and it should be able to be software patched, by clocking down the CPU demand. Or it at least in can under android. Basically its the chipset running too much draw for the size of the design in terms of cooling.

But of course, who would actually do that? Lumia? They don't make windows phones. Microsoft? They don't make phones either. The people who would be responsible, to my limited knowledge, for hardware specific driver updates etc, don't exist. Who's actual legal responsibility is it, now that the Lumia licensing expired?

Is it technically lumias?

I do know this - I've seem people apply their own thermal fixes to tablets and phones by opening the case, and putting in their own copper cooling system, with thermal paste. Dunno if the 950 already has decent passive cooling, but I have seen decent thermal drops with this on Chinese tablets with overly powerful but hot SoCs.

Last edited:

jason hogan1

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Try even getting hold of google. (You basically can't).

If you had this complaint with another mobile OS maker, its doubtful you'd even be able to talk to anyone.

This soft of things is unfortunate, but its commercial reality. Apple did the same thing with risc based macs. Blackbery did the same thing with bb10. Windows 10 mobile is being replaced with windows 10 on arm. It's not commercially sound for them to support a product that's being phased out, any more than for them to support windows xp.

The unfortunate thing for you as a consumer, is its only two years ago the phone came out. Same sort of situation with those bb10 folks that purchases the passport.

I do feel for ya. But for myself, I'd rather Microsoft focused on creating a more desirable and powerful product. Perhaps when that is release this year or so, you'll find it runs better on your Lumia than win 10 mobile?

What I tend to do, is do research before I buy. See what the quirks are, and if I can live with them. Look at a lot of online reviews. Most hardware it seems has quirks or weak points, premium or not. Some of course more than others.

Overheating is a real common one in phones, and it should be able to be software patched, by clocking down the CPU demand. Or it at least in can under android. Basically its the chipset running too much draw for the size of the design in terms of cooling.

But of course, who would actually do that? Lumia? They don't make windows phones. Microsoft? They don't make phones either. The people who would be responsible, to my limited knowledge, for hardware specific driver updates etc, don't exist. Who's actual legal responsibility is it, now that the Lumia licensing expired?

Is it technically lumias?

I do know this - I've seem people apply their own thermal fixes to tablets and phones by opening the case, and putting in their own copper cooling system, with thermal paste. Dunno if the 950 already has decent passive cooling, but I have seen decent thermal drops with this on Chinese tablets with overly powerful but hot SoCs.

You can't talk to MS either. They've handed off support to B2X. If you have a problem with b2x there is no way to talk to me about it. I spent two days trying to find a way to contact me about it...cant be done. Every single number or link related to Lumia eventually takes you to b2x. Microsoft has been saying they are getting out of the phone game and by the evidence it looks like they did.

If they don't care about their platform anymore then why should I?

I ordered a new phone this morning, not saying which platform or model because I'm not here to advertise. Good luck to the rest of you still hoping.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I received OS build 10.0.15204.0 on Saturday morning. I believe the battery life has greatly improved, at least the idle burn. Phone went from Saturday until Monday morning, only down to 69%. In the past, it would have been dead. Been off the charger for two hours now with 97% remaining. I am insider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven