950XL .. worth getting and still supported

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I used to own and love my 950xl last year, but then I got lured away with the LG G5, however.. now that the sea of Android phones are all exactly the same phone but with glasss in different places.. I figured Ide come back to 950 XL..

But now that the XL is obselete, is the OS still being supported and updated and is it worth buying one pre-pwned?

Any advice

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes, the os is still being updated and insider builds are coming regularly, though it seems that the changelog is getting shorter every time the new build is out.

I think that the 950 XL is worth buying if you're aware of the situation with Windows 10 Mobile and Windows Store. It's still a great phone and both the 950 and 950 XL run Windows 10 Mobile smoothly (even though there are some faulty units out there).

I can't say anything about buying pre-owned devices as I always buy new ones, but I think that the price of new units went low enough. It's up to you to decide though.

By the way - did anything on the Android OS specifically (not the hardware part of your device) bother you? I'm somewhat interested to try out Android or iOS just to see the difference, but a part of me just doesn't want to spend extra money on devices that I know I likely won't like if not because everything else because of Google's monopoly on information.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I used to own and love my 950xl last year, but then I got lured away with the LG G5, however.. now that the sea of Android phones are all exactly the same phone but with glasss in different places.. I figured Ide come back to 950 XL..

But now that the XL is obselete, is the OS still being supported and updated and is it worth buying one pre-pwned?

Any advice
Windows Phone Is Dead!

Oh, wait. Actually, it is being actively updated. I just put a new insider build on my X3 yesterday. The 950xl is also supported. Microsoft has been tight lipped but will most likely support the phone for a few more years. Unlike with OS support lifecycles, they don't publish these for mobile.

If you can put up with the stupid power button placement, then go for it.

Sent from mTalk

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I cant find the multi-quote button on here, so:

kaktus1389 -- The problem with Android is that Android N has made all brands of device so "Clean" and lag / bloat free (at least here in the UK) that theyre all the same, just different prices... and your starting to get devs making different versions of Google Assistant.. Samsungs Bixby / HTCs Sense companion and I think Huawei might be developing something.. but not sure .. but the big thing is variable battery life / each dev trying to outdo the other with amazing camera features and all reviewers falling over themselves at Samsungs S8.. that its tough to be objective anymore... and the worst of all... those damn Ads... oh those full screen insane pop up Ads... So im coming back to Windows... and if i ever do decide in the distant future to jump ship again from WP, Im going to iPhone... Im done with Android

Ive come back to WP for simplicity PerfectReign.. and yes, I know the app store situation, but thats good news.. 950XL and WP lives, thats good to hear... and yes, not sure whose idea the XL button placement was, maybe they decided during a drunken night out haa.., the 950s is way better and.. dare I say it.. in the Normal place

I would only ever buy a BNIB pre-owned device with maybe 1 or 2 weeks use.. you can spot them, never a knocked about one... GAME in the UK sell BNIB "A" grade phones, but CEX or GrangerGames dont, so checking one at Game :)

Thanks for the help, but feel free to add any other advice :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Before a meeting yesterday, I was playing around with 950 XL; I could see that the guy beside me was kind of curious; he was watching me out of the corner of his eye. After a few minutes, he asked "can you make phone calls with that thing?" The way I have my start screen live tiles and layout set up, he thought I was using some sort of a 'mini tablet'...
I explained that, yes - I could make phone calls with my Microsoft windows phone.
Love it that my phone doesn't look like an Android or Apple phone!!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Going to pull the trigger on a 950 today. First win10 phone.

App situation will probably improve given external developments (s, WoA, xamarin 2, things are starting to pick up already). App makers who are big enough do cross platform anyway.

Only thing really mobile users are waiting for with baited breath is for feature2 builds to be merged back, when the onecore work is done.

Because of that, no one really knows when win10 mobile will start getting feature updates again. CU was feature light, and really mobile needs to be back in the main branch by FCU in order to keep up with things like timeline (which will be GREAT on win10m when it eventually comes).

There could be some excitement around the corner, but clearly MS is doing some serious messing with the core, with windows on arm, with the main windows build itself (added, and then dropped and re-added). Mobile is a last consideration, even if what we stand to gain is pretty golden stuff (Cortana skills, timeline, fluent design)

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

kaktus1389 -- The problem with Android is that Android N has made all brands of device so "Clean" and lag / bloat free (at least here in the UK) that theyre all the same, just different prices... and your starting to get devs making different versions of Google Assistant.. Samsungs Bixby / HTCs Sense companion and I think Huawei might be developing something.. but not sure .. but the big thing is variable battery life / each dev trying to outdo the other with amazing camera features and all reviewers falling over themselves at Samsungs S8.. that its tough to be objective anymore... and the worst of all... those damn Ads... oh those full screen insane pop up Ads... So im coming back to Windows... and if i ever do decide in the distant future to jump ship again from WP, Im going to iPhone... Im done with Android

Ive come back to WP for simplicity PerfectReign.. and yes, I know the app store situation, but thats good news.. 950XL and WP lives, thats good to hear... and yes, not sure whose idea the XL button placement was, maybe they decided during a drunken night out haa.., the 950s is way better and.. dare I say it.. in the Normal place

I would only ever buy a BNIB pre-owned device with maybe 1 or 2 weeks use.. you can spot them, never a knocked about one... GAME in the UK sell BNIB "A" grade phones, but CEX or GrangerGames dont, so checking one at Game :)

Thanks for the help, but feel free to add any other advice :)

I got my 950xl and 950 from C.E.X the 950 was grade A and immaculate. The 950xl I got after that and still have was a grade B and it was.... immaculate but the box was a little tatty. It's been flawless since and despite having an LG G6 as my main phone now I still use the 950xl for work everyday and I'm actually looking for more and more excuses to pick it up and use it each day. If it wasn't for the fact I've come to depend on having a smartwatch paired to my phone all the time and we don't get tap to pay on W10m here in the UK I could easily go back to using it as my daily driver again

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
On day number two with my 950xl. I posted yesterday how my X3 got a boo-boo and I wanted to try the 950xl. I so far have found a new appreciation. Yes, I've still accidentally taken a bunch of screen shots by my too-big thumb pressing vol up with power.

I do miss the fingerprint scanner. On the other hand, I've been using the Wallet app now.

Very cool!

View attachment 135861

Sent from mTalk

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Okay decided i wanted to go back to the X3. Missed fingerprint scanner to unlock and the 6" screen.

Wish i could combine the X3 screen and speakers with the NFC, camera, and removable battery on the 950xl.

My Iphone using Microsoft TAM and engineer each think I am nuts.

Sent from mTalk

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
It's funny how a person gets used to the convenience of a fingerprint scanner. I find myself constantly searching for it when I'm using a device without. I just feel so lost.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am happy with my 950XL. With the developments supposing in the pipeline, getting a used one might be worthwhile. It's a good phone, for what it is.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Love my 950xl. Been using mine as my 2nd/work phone for the past few months when I had an iPhone 7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy s8 Plus then an LG G6 but today I sold my G6 and went back to using the 950xl as my daily driver. The G6 was the best of those others but I kept using my 950xl for the camera over the LG and that tells me something was falling short there. The 950xl has it's short comings too of course but for now they're manageable for me and I'd rather live without Snapchat than a great camera. Maybe if i start losing essential apps like my bank or Facebook then I'll have to switch again.
Another reason I'm enjoying the Lumia again so much (and it's a stupid reason) is that on Android and iPhone I feel like I want/need every new phone that comes out as they seem better than the last and obviously they get released often. I switch phones way too often and it feels good to get off that band wagon

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site

Any advice

Yes. I've been choosing from all flagships on market, since BlackBerry died for me with their switching to Android. And 950 XL became best choice for me. Now, after a month of using, I'm sure I was right.

But, if You already had 950 XL, I would choose on Your place something different just to have some fresh feeling. I always love stock devices... but for that "freshness" You could also consider HP or Idol 4 S.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site

There's no lag free Android in existence. I've tried the most powerful Android devices and all of them have lags and microfreezes. Even so, Android fans, standing near me, said, that they don't see that.

Therefore, maybe You are one of that fans and You will see no lag and freezes... then go for Android.

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Just got a 950 XL (RM-1085) a couple days ago and I have to say I'm quite pleased. Considering putting it on one of the insider rings but honestly it runs about as perfectly as I could hope for.

Rick Austinson

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
I also picked up a 950xl recently. Inexpensive on ebay for the quality($350). I don't like it as much as my 1520 but it has Continuum and a lot of other good features. I like it over all, feels more like a real computer than any phone I've owned.

Only downside I can name: what they did with the power and volume buttons is dumb(grouping them all together and giving them useless multi-functions).

Love everything else about the phone.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Okay decided i wanted to go back to the X3. Missed fingerprint scanner to unlock and the 6" screen.

Wish i could combine the X3 screen and speakers with the NFC, camera, and removable battery on the 950xl.

My Iphone using Microsoft TAM and engineer each think I am nuts.

Sent from mTalk

I tried the IDOL 4S for a while; could never get used to the fingerprint scanner; maybe my finger isn't the right kind of finger, but it always was a pain for me to place exactly in the right place to get it to work. I like the IRIS scanner on my 950 XL better...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077