Does Lumia 950 XL have support in 2018?

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello!
I'm one of Microsoft Mobile big fans! ...11 years now from WM 5.0 to Win10M Creators!

• 2006 MOTO Q 9c

• 2009 LG IQ GW825

• 2012 Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M

• 2015 MS Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM

? 2018 MS Surface Phone Pro

Home of the Microsoft Surface Device Family | Surface

My question is, does My Lumia 950 XL have support in 2018? ......if not this other device coming aka "Surface Phone Pro" or "Surface Mobile" is an device with "RS3 OS"...should I upgrade to it....or to risky?? ...if not is it time to ....hard time saying it!!!!.......is it time to jump ship?? All you people with the same boat as me! What to do??....now starting to lose my basic apps oh functionality. I was always fine with MS apps....but the pressure is on me.

If I do jump ship....it will probably be Android 8....the up coming official "Android 8" the Google "Pixel 2 XXL" seems to better best coming?? For a replacement of my Lumia 950 XL?

Since I lost my Banking app this month got me thinking......so this Christmas 🎄.....a decision has to be made....

- MS Surface Phone "Surface Mobile"
Or
- Google Pixel 2 XXL "Taimen"

Both going to be very expensive!

Please help.....is it time??

Sent from Lumia 950XL

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
That depends.

If you are outside the US or don't mind spotty LTE, there are a plethora of Chinese android phablets with decent specs that won't break your bank. Oppo, Xiaomi, Lenovo, Asus, Huawei are all contenders.

You could also choose to go with Iphone. A used 6 or 6+ is decently priced and there are a ton of MS apps available.

I chose to keep my 950xl as a work phone and bought a Iphone 7+ - been pretty happy so far and am even using the Microsoft keyboard.

Sent from mTalk

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your post!

No iPhone for this guy! .....but only looking for new next generation devices! ....definitely not what's out now! By Christmas 🎄 all the devices' will be out! ..even new iPhone 7s Plus & iPhone 8 with iOS11........Google Pixel 2 XXL with Android 8....MS is with Redstone 3.......so there is 3 new OS by years end! ....flag ship devices'

I'm not a Samsung guy ether So...no S8 or Note 8

Sent from Lumia 950XL

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your post!

No iPhone for this guy! .....but only looking for new next generation devices! ....definitely not what's out now! By Christmas 🎄 all the devices' will be out! ..even new iPhone 7s Plus & iPhone 8 with iOS11........Google Pixel 2 XXL with Android 8....MS is with Redstone 3.......so there is 3 new OS by years end! ....flag ship devices'

I'm not a Samsung guy ether So...no S8 or Note 8

Sent from Lumia 950XL
The x50 devices will be supported until Microsoft says they aren't. Much like when all Nokias presumably were dropped from receiving the CU build.

I'm holding out on my 950xl (excellent device for my needs) and my idol4s until a newer worthwhile mobile Windows device comes. The idol 4s is not bad, but I'd rather it been a Lumia with a snapdragon 820.

I'm also keeping an eye on the new OnePlus 5 to be announced in two weeks since iPhones are too expensive for me nowadays...

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello!
I'm one of Microsoft Mobile big fans! ...11 years now from WM 5.0 to Win10M Creators!

• 2006 MOTO Q 9c

• 2009 LG IQ GW825

• 2012 Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M

• 2015 MS Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM

? 2018 MS Surface Phone Pro

Home of the Microsoft Surface Device Family | Surface

My question is, does My Lumia 950 XL have support in 2018? ......if not this other device coming aka "Surface Phone Pro" or "Surface Mobile" is an device with "RS3 OS"...should I upgrade to it....or to risky?? ...if not is it time to ....hard time saying it!!!!.......is it time to jump ship?? All you people with the same boat as me! What to do??....now starting to lose my basic apps oh functionality. I was always fine with MS apps....but the pressure is on me.

If I do jump ship....it will probably be Android 8....the up coming official "Android 8" the Google "Pixel 2 XXL" seems to better best coming?? For a replacement of my Lumia 950 XL?

Since I lost my Banking app this month got me thinking......so this Christmas ??????.....a decision has to be made....

- MS Surface Phone "Surface Mobile"
Or
- Google Pixel 2 XXL "Taimen"

Both going to be very expensive!

Please help.....is it time??

Sent from Lumia 950XL

Very cool you've been a Windows phone user all these years! I jumped in when I ditched my iPhone 4 and picked up the ATIV S. Such a fantastic phone! Then the ATIV SE - super power!! Now, I've had the 950 XL for almost 6 months, and LOVE this phone. My friends, co-workers, and students are all amazed at the pictures/camera/display of this phone. I'd say don't panic, don't rush, be thankful that we're using a wonderful (underrated) device!!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if 950/XL will get features post this year. Seems like maybe not. Though it also seems like that the last update may be the biggest series of updates they have received.

HP has a refresh in the works, and likely that will be supported for some years, if that's something that concerns you.

Andromeda won't be out this year IMO, nor any supposed 'surface phones'. I wouldn't wait for it.

Maybe just ride out this year, and we should have a better idea as we go along yeah?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if 950/XL will get features post this year. Seems like maybe not. Though it also seems like that the last update may be the biggest series of updates they have received.

HP has a refresh in the works, and likely that will be supported for some years, if that's something that concerns you.

Andromeda won't be out this year IMO, nor any supposed 'surface phones'. I wouldn't wait for it.

Maybe just ride out this year, and we should have a better idea as we go along yeah?
@Drael646464 can you post the source for where you are informed of the HP Refresh? Is it official?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
@Drael646464 can you post the source for where you are informed of the HP Refresh? Is it official?

No, its not official. They showed a different looking unnamed x3 like phone at a convention, and on a video, and are working with MS to produce new productivity features out soon. The seeming preference for x3 as a reference hardware for cshell and basically I'm reading between the lines. Officially its a rumour, but with more grounding IMO, than surface phone.

I suspect/believe that HP's refresh is being used as a reference to build 64 bit win10m, secretly. Of course I could be wrong, but HPs little 'teasers' do seem intentional and have been mentioned on the front page here (where things like the Chinese leak, haven't). Call it a "credible rumour'.

Let's put it this way - HP is THE most buddy buddy OEM with MFST. Working with MSFT on features. If any OEM was likely to release a new phone this year, that would be my bet (especially given the different looking unnamed x3 like phones), and given the features are due end of US summer, it won't be long till we'll hear something IF that's true.

But even if they don't have one soon, HP still seems the most likely to release a new phone, given the relationship. And msft needs some OEM to be making one, because 64 bit - they need some reference hardware fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
No, its not official. They showed a different looking unnamed x3 like phone at a convention, and on a video, and are working with MS to produce new productivity features out soon. The seeming preference for x3 as a reference hardware for cshell and basically I'm reading between the lines. Officially its a rumour, but with more grounding IMO, than surface phone.

I suspect/believe that HP's refresh is being used as a reference to build 64 bit win10m, secretly. Of course I could be wrong, but HPs little 'teasers' do seem intentional and have been mentioned on the front page here (where things like the Chinese leak, haven't). Call it a "credible rumour'.

Ok, we are expecting one. Just thought I missed it some where :).

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
This new HP 64-bit "ARMv8" device you speak of is it coming by Christmas 🎄?? ..If it does, does it use the new Snapdragon 836 "MSM8998 Pro" that coming in August? Qualcomm every year has there Pro model...basically overclocked 835.

Last years Pro model was the Snapdragon 821 "MSM8996 Pro" refresh 🔃

It would be nice to see the new HP refresh 🔃 with the new Snapdragon 836 refresh 🔃

Win10M RS3 in 2018 is unknown.....too me....no clear path ahead.

I love my Lumia 950 XL has been fantastic till now.....lost 4 of my most used Apps this month.....go me scared 😓

Sent from Lumia 950XL

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I was just trying to find the reference but failed. HP had a device out at Build this year that looked sort of - but not quite - like an X3. No word on what it was or what was under the hood.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't expect updates for the 950 XL beyond security updates or small features like has been happening thus far going forward. As for the actual cutoff date, I'm pegging it at running out between late this year or late 2018.

As for something new, there is nothing on the horizon just yet. There's rumors of Surface Phone this, Windows on ARM that, but it's going to be a while, perhaps the entire lifespan of whatever phone you get next.

I recommend jumping ship with a lower-cost phone (not a bargain bin one mind you) like the Moto G5 Plus or better and seeing what happens.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all you're posts!

I am staying with my Lumia 950 XL till Christmas 🎄

I personally feel 2018 my Lumia 950 XL is end of life??......I been trying guys very hard to stay with Microsoft eco (Gaming PC 💻, Surface 4 Pro, Lumia 950 XL, Band 2) seems I see no clear MS phone future in 2018, this would be the first time I ever get a new device less than three years! Love my 5.7" 1440p QHD display and do not want to go back to any smaller phone! ...Do all you Lumia 950 XL followers feel the same way?

With 2018 MS Win10M RS3 OS devices no showing my alternative is iOS11 OS or Android 8 OS devices.

I'm not a Apple guy.....so that leaves me with Android and if so probably go with there upcoming Google flag ship 🚢 Phone "Taimen" with "Android O" aka "Pixel 2 XXL" there official Android 8 device.

I been with Microsoft OS phones for over 11 years and makes me very sad 😢 as there Phone business went from 30% to 1% market share in that time.

I always followed the making of my next devices, I followed the making of my Lumia 950 XL just when it was code named "Cityman" remember?? Now MS has nothing to follow .....unfortunately now been watching Google upcoming code named "Taimen" aka Pixel 2 XXL witch is supposed to be a Snapdragon 836 6GB RAM with 6" OLED Edge to edge display (made by LG) making it the same size as my Lumia 950 XL....witch to me is perfect 👌 size!

I guess let's wait and see if MS bring out there Surface Phone Pro! 🤞 with Win10M RS3... Witch would be my next phone in a heart ♥ beat!! 😎

Sent from Lumia 950XL

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I was just trying to find the reference but failed. HP had a device out at Build this year that looked sort of - but not quite - like an X3. No word on what it was or what was under the hood.

HP-Elite-x3-prototype-MWC-2017.jpg

This appeared under locked glass at the last Mobile World Convention:

"An HP spokesperon told PCWorld that “this is an example of how we see future iterations of the x3 platform,” but declined to share more details about the handset,"

A similar handset was spotted in a Spanish HP video, also seemingly teased without any mention of the device.

As for new features theres this:

The team is working on delivering some features for enterprise customers later this summer.
— Brandon LeBlanc (@brandonleblanc) May 17, 2017

Of course late this summer is ahead of the fall creators update.

We were also showed timeline, and onedrive files on demand at build (and I expect Cortana as a integrated across devices service will get Cortana skills as well), which were told were coming to windows 10 mobile I'd expect FCU, although of course for any of these, who gets them "officially" rather than by spoofing or via insiders preview is unknown.

And there is cshell. When that's coming, or who gets them, again, anyone's guess. I expect all of those could technically be classified as "productivity features for enterprise customers".

Oh something that's definitely official is the re-vamped keyboard. That mainly benefits non-mobile, but it'll be the same across devices all the same. (It does support script/pen input, which mobile doesn't have. I happen to have a capacitive battery powered pen, so I'll be giving that a whirl)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I am happy with my 950 XL. Don't care about other platforms at all. My strategy is to use 950 XL until next MS phone.

iPhones and Androids are just ridiculous to me...

Romeo Lim

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
I have used windows phones since CE days, then went with Symbian/Android. When the Lumia 630 came out, I went back to windows mobile and have been using a 950XL since it came out

Recently I was tempted to try the much-hyped OnePlus 3T, running Androud 7.1.1, and after 10 days of use, it's back in the box and my 950XL is back in my pocket.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately no.......TD bank gone, Gasbuddy, Starwars Commander, PayPal, the list goes on and on...unfortunately....it's getting very frustrating.....

Sent from Lumia 950XL

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the support guys!

Just instead OS update .414 so far zippy!! .....Win10M Creators So far has been amazing!! .........it's unfortunate that no one wants to support it.

I sure hope 🤞 MS brings out the Surface Phone Pro or Surface Mobile or something for us to upgrade too!

I guess we all are in the same boat!

Sent from Lumia 950XL

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the support guys!

Just instead OS update .414 so far zippy!! .....Win10M Creators So far has been amazing!! .........it's unfortunate that no one wants to support it.

I sure hope ?????? MS brings out the Surface Phone Pro or Surface Mobile or something for us to upgrade too!

I guess we all are in the same boat!

Sent from Lumia 950XL

I hear ya. Getting tired of rotating through W10M phones every month. Each has something better than the other to offer. But I can not always want cake and eat it. Right now I have a 950XL and IDOL4s, I gave my only 950 away to a good friend who is the only one I know in person that uses the platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077