Farewll 950XL

AndrewMBaines

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
My 950XL has developed a fault with the GPS. I could fix it with a hard reset or using the recovery tool, but it would start again a week later.
Contacted MS for support, they just pushed me to their FAQ/forums and then hanged up the phone!
Fortunately, it was bought from Amazon UK. Quick call, getting a full refund.

Sad to lose it - been a great phone. Now back to my midget Lumia 520 until I decide what to do next. Tempted by a BlackBerry, but put off by lack of wireless charging. Hopefully, MS will unexpectedly release a new phone in the next week or so!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My 950XL has developed a fault with the GPS. I could fix it with a hard reset or using the recovery tool, but it would start again a week later.
Contacted MS for support, they just pushed me to their FAQ/forums and then hanged up the phone!
Fortunately, it was bought from Amazon UK. Quick call, getting a full refund.

Sad to lose it - been a great phone. Now back to my midget Lumia 520 until I decide what to do next. Tempted by a BlackBerry, but put off by lack of wireless charging. Hopefully, MS will unexpectedly release a new phone in the next week or so!

I'm sorry to say but your hopes in that timeframe isn't going to work out. That is a bummer about your 950XL having to go back though, sorry to hear that. Good luck with the 520 in the meantime.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your XL, not nice.... Is there nowhere near you that trades pre-owned phones and you could pick up another 950xl... You can get some great deals on them now.. Here in UK you can pick one up for about £150 - £200..

Also, some stores allow you to trade-in / recycle your faulty phone, admittedly not for much.. but hey..

Anyway, just trying to suggest :)

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
IMG-20170616-WA0001.jpg

Mine is hanging on for dear life now. I left mine charging in the kitchen for half an hour and when I came back for it there was smoke coming off it, smelling of burned plastic and a message on the screen saying it was powered down due to the battery over heating. I unplugged it and could clearly see the charger port melted, the battery cover all warped and melted and the usb plug all burned as you can see in the picture. I feared the worst but after letting it cool down, replaced the battery cover with a spare I had and giving the charger port a good clean with WD40, it charged fine and holds it's charge same as before and just a little scorching around the charger port for it's battle scars.
As for the cause, I'm pretty certain that after washing the dishes there was some water splashed on the counter that hadn't been dried up and the end of the charger cable must have gone in it and picked up moisture.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 136293

Mine is hanging on for dear life now. I left mine charging in the kitchen for half an hour and when I came back for it there was smoke coming off it, smelling of burned plastic and a message on the screen saying it was powered down due to the battery over heating. I unplugged it and could clearly see the charger port melted, the battery cover all warped and melted and the usb plug all burned as you can see in the picture. I feared the worst but after letting it cool down, replaced the battery cover with a spare I had and giving the charger port a good clean with WD40, it charged fine and holds it's charge same as before and just a little scorching around the charger port for it's battle scars.
As for the cause, I'm pretty certain that after washing the dishes there was some water splashed on the counter that hadn't been dried up and the end of the charger cable must have gone in it and picked up moisture.
Wow

Sent from mTalk

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
There has been whispers of a Microsoft phone this year, with most of them suggesting a "hold over" nokia refresh (to keep things going until whatever's next is ready), rather than a surface anything.

And there is reasonable expectation of a new HP.

Not in the next week however.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There has been whispers of a Microsoft phone this year, with most of them suggesting a "hold over" nokia refresh (to keep things going until whatever's next is ready), rather than a surface anything.

I'd happily take the cancelled aluminium bodied 960 that cropped up in leaks lately as a stop gap to the next gen Windows phones/mobile devices

Last edited:

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site

There had been same whispers all the time since the 950/950 XL release :eek:rly:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
There had been same whispers all the time since the 950/950 XL release :eek:rly:

Maybe I am new, but that seems as silly as windows on arm, on a phone, levitating above the grand canyon in 2018. The ultimate mobile divine miracle, lol.

That doesn't really make sense, logically. At the time there was the 550/650/950/950XL. Then after that came the moly x1, 4s, nuans, HP. Plenty of phones until relatively recently. Zero need for MSFT to make any more, before its good and ready.

Now, there is nothing. At best we might get one new overpriced HP. Before now, such whispers of a Lumia phone to fill the gap, whilst msft is still preparing Andromeda etc - well that's like a do not compute, steam out of the robots ears situation.

Now it makes perfect sense - no oems, no new phones, nothing to testbed the 64 bit version on. or hold current customers until the "phone that doesn't look like any phone today" is ready.

If people were talking about a new Lumia line, straight after the last Lumia line, I don't know what to say, but I hope those poor souls get all the support and guidance in the world they need.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Am I the only one who noticed that the latest update (release) version for my phone said "Windows 10 Mobile xxxx-something 'for ARM'"? Or maybe it used to say that before too, but I haven't noticed it before.

Edit: That makes it sound (to me) as if there's about to be another mobile release not for ARM.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who noticed that the latest update (release) version for my phone said "Windows 10 Mobile xxxx-something 'for ARM'"? Or maybe it used to say that before too, but I haven't noticed it before.

Edit: That makes it sound (to me) as if there's about to be another mobile release not for ARM.

All phones in the market run on ARM...;)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

A little google revealed this:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/63961/63961

And this:

https://www.windowscentral.com/new-...on-windows-10-will-work-arm-and-intel-devices

Although actually this will just be to differentiate from ARM64, which we know MSFT is preparing for.

Thus this is interesting for a whole nother reason - we know MSFT has a 64 bit version. And I've been guessing the next big move is to 64 bit. Its clear, that with zero concrete sign of any new OEM hardware whatsoever, MSFT are gearing to move to 64 bit. Else why change the name of the current SKU, unless there was another one coming, right?

So what do they know, or are planning, that we aren't privy too? Why are they expecting 64 bit hardware when all the users are looking for signs of land on this sea-bound boat?

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think the change in names is Microsoft further trying to streamline Windows and bringing their SKU's more in line. I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 10 Home was discontinued in the future and we were left with only S, Pro, and Enterprise versions. I also hope that Microsoft is preparing to move the mobile branch of Windows to 64-bit to coincide with Windows on ARM, CShell, and the future of mobile devices running Windows.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Maybe no new phones from OEMs are due to the fact MS has alerted them to a change. So, I'd you're an OEM why produce a new phone when in 6 months from now (or whenever) something new is coming from MS.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I know. That's why I took notice when MS suddenly mentioned "for ARM" on the update. Why mention it, if there isn't (soon going to be) something that does not run on ARM?

Their support page also doesn't mention "Windows 10 Mobile" but "Windows 10 for phone". There's no clear naming scheme inside Microsoft. Specially when something is being fased out, it starts mattering less and less.

My point being, don't read too much into that.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Maybe no new phones from OEMs are due to the fact MS has alerted them to a change. So, I'd you're an OEM why produce a new phone when in 6 months from now (or whenever) something new is coming from MS.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

MSFT told Wharton brooks exactly that. They said, we won't support any new phones in redstone 3, as we are introducing some new standards soonish, and want to adopt that going forward - wait up.

HP is probably privy to whatever it is though IMO.

IMO its probably connected to the shift to 64 bit, but perhaps they also have some other new hardware standards they'd like, like active stylus or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs