I gave up on the 950 XL

mrpcpro

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
the Windows 10 experience is very nice on the phone, but the Camera is a disaster. OIS is horrible and focus is spotty at best, especially in low light. Every video comparison I made to my Note 5 proved to me that Microsoft failed me. This odd, shaking screen when zooming in or taking photos in portrait mode was unbearable. People telling me to use manual focus when none of this is necessary on my Note 5.

So sorry Microsoft, but the 950 XL was not the upgrade to the 1520 I was expecting. I'm so glad I didn't pay full price and I can still return this device to the owner. I actually still prefer the Windows 10 experience over Android, so I'm back to my 1520 and the Note 5 will be my "Camera" for special events. Hell, the 1520 sound quality on recordings was better than the 950 XL.

I look forward to a Surface phone or anything that is a worthy upgrade that can meet or exceed the Note 5 camera.

Disappointed :(

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
the Windows 10 experience is very nice on the phone, but the Camera is a disaster. OIS is horrible and focus is spotty at best, especially in low light. Every video comparison I made to my Note 5 proved to me that Microsoft failed me. This odd, shaking screen when zooming in or taking photos in portrait mode was unbearable. People telling me to use manual focus when none of this is necessary on my Note 5.

So sorry Microsoft, but the 950 XL was not the upgrade to the 1520 I was expecting. I'm so glad I didn't pay full price and I can still return this device to the owner. I actually still prefer the Windows 10 experience over Android, so I'm back to my 1520 and the Note 5 will be my "Camera" for special events. Hell, the 1520 sound quality on recordings was better than the 950 XL.

I look forward to a Surface phone or anything that is a worthy upgrade that can meet or exceed the Note 5 camera.

The 1520 is an awesome phone.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
1520 is an awesome phone that I can purchase for less than half the price of the 950 XL. The microphones on the 1520 record richer sound as well
Yeah...the tough thing is to find one in good condition which also doesn't have that stupid double tap problem.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
1520 is an awesome phone that I can purchase for less than half the price of the 950 XL. The microphones on the 1520 record richer sound as well

But the device is so slow compared to the 950 and I ended up stuck back on 8.1 because they took the device out of 10 compatibility.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Shaking screen? Did you do all the updates?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Well, to be fair the Nokia phones had much better build and hardware than the Microsoft phones :/ I still use my 830 ! Great stuff, while the 640 XL feels like a plastic slate -.-

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Surprise, about that as I just did a walk through with both 4k and lower resolution going from indoors to outdoors, both with OIS on and off and didn't get as much (if at all) of any shakes. I was comparing to a potential purchase of oneplus5 and disappointed that there is no stability in 4k (in 1+5). Whereas 950xl was flawless.

It does seem to "jump" focus at times - but to be fair, a lot of smartphone cameras jump way worse then 950xl.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
But the device is so slow compared to the 950 and I ended up stuck back on 8.1 because they took the device out of 10 compatibility.

Slower in what regard? I havent seen any speed issues on my 1520.

And the 1520 can still get W10 without issue. It was only removed from CU compatibility.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I love my 950 XL camera. I still blow people away with it. My girlfriend is anything but a tech person and she drools over my camera despite a Galaxy S7 and a Google Pixel being in this house. I wonder if you're just experiencing some really odd bugs.

On the 1520 though: was an incredible phone. But I don't think it's worth it today. If you really want that big screen feel I believe the x3 is the better choice.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, the camera is the only reason I'm still sticking with my 950XL. The rest of the phone is becoming meh'ier and meh'ier with less and less support and apps, not to mention it's experiencing random restarts that I can seem to solve no matter what. I won't be sending it in for service, but it certainly has been the lowest quality Lumia I've owned. Not to mention ugliest.

FIY, my 950XL's camera focuses well even in the dark, and I see nothing wrong with the OIS. It does a better job than many newer devices from other brands, by what I see from social media posts by friends. Seems your 950XL suffers from something in the camera department.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
IMHO, the camera is the only reason I'm still sticking with my 950XL. The rest of the phone is becoming meh'ier and meh'ier with less and less support and apps, not to mention it's experiencing random restarts that I can seem to solve no matter what. I won't be sending it in for service, but it certainly has been the lowest quality Lumia I've owned. Not to mention ugliest.

FIY, my 950XL's camera focuses well even in the dark, and I see nothing wrong with the OIS. It does a better job than many newer devices from other brands, by what I see from social media posts by friends. Seems your 950XL suffers from something in the camera department.

I haven't been having any issues with my 950 XL. I have had occasional restarts and bugs but every update makes it more stable. My Lumia 950 is far more finicky as it's on the Fast Ring and has been for months. And I actually really like the design of the 950 XL. It's simple, easy to hold, and clean. And my Mozo case makes it darn snazzy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo