I gave up on the 950 XL

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
the Windows 10 experience is very nice on the phone, but the Camera is a disaster. OIS is horrible and focus is spotty at best, especially in low light. Every video comparison I made to my Note 5 proved to me that Microsoft failed me. This odd, shaking screen when zooming in or taking photos in portrait mode was unbearable. People telling me to use manual focus when none of this is necessary on my Note 5.

So sorry Microsoft, but the 950 XL was not the upgrade to the 1520 I was expecting. I'm so glad I didn't pay full price and I can still return this device to the owner. I actually still prefer the Windows 10 experience over Android, so I'm back to my 1520 and the Note 5 will be my "Camera" for special events. Hell, the 1520 sound quality on recordings was better than the 950 XL.

I look forward to a Surface phone or anything that is a worthy upgrade that can meet or exceed the Note 5 camera.

Disappointed :(

LOL

Good luck ;)

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Slower in what regard? I havent seen any speed issues on my 1520.

And the 1520 can still get W10 without issue. It was only removed from CU compatibility.

It feels sluggish in switching apps and in launching them.

I had performed a factory reset some months back and hadn't been offered W10. It is still on 8.1 right now.

I like the feel of it. However the picture quality isn't up to par with the 950xl.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It feels sluggish in switching apps and in launching them.

I had performed a factory reset some months back and hadn't been offered W10. It is still on 8.1 right now.

I like the feel of it. However the picture quality isn't up to par with the 950xl.

Did you use the upgrade adviser app? That's the only way to get W10 on any Windows 8 phone other than the insiders app.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
For stills the camera still works well. Video definitely has a problem with focusing so you often have to do it manually. If you fiddle with it enough you can get some very decent video.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Slower in what regard? I havent seen any speed issues on my 1520.

And the 1520 can still get W10 without issue. It was only removed from CU compatibility.
You're right. I forgot my 1520 is on 10586. I left it there because 8.1 drove me nuts.

Here's a picture of a flower with my 1520.

WNtjfaU.jpg

Here's the same flower with my 950xl I feel the one with the 950xl is just richer.

MgQZze3.jpg

Of course the same picture with my Iphone 7+ is beautiful in portrait mode. (I'm waiting on the Iphone 7e to see if it is better.)

GW3RFh2.jpg

Sent from mTalk

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Did you, by any chance, post the same photo of the flower for the 1520 & 950XL?.. it looks way too similar!!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Okay, let's do this again. I took pictures just now with my 1520, 950xl, Elite X3, and Iphone 7+

All pictures were taken without me moving and within one minute.

Here's the 1520. You'll notice the shadows on the left. Wait until the 950xl and the Iphone.

iWWFejD.jpg

Hers is with my Elite X3.

SPC5e16.jpg

Here is with the 950xl. Note the colors are richer. The crushed granite in the back is more an accurate color and the detail in the shadow is finer.

snOZqos.jpg

And finally the Iphone 7+ as an outside comparison.

jnu1EC1.jpg

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I see the differences. I'm not a big picture person though so they're all acceptable to me. I wouldn't buy the X3 anyways because of the size. I think iPhone, while maybe not the best, takes decent pics for everyday occasions. Its not like your're going to take wedding pictures with one.

But that's just me. I understand others put a preference on picture quality with their phones. You have a nice group there to make a determination on which one you like best.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
The X3 is the perfect size. If it had a decent starbucks app and opened other apps (facebook, Skype For Business, OneNote) faster, I'd not worry about an Iphone or Android. Odd that Skype4B and OneNote are actually faster on the Iphone than on a Windows Mobile device.

In fact, I would have kept using the 950xl longer if I knew I could double-tap on the navigation bar to lock it. I have taken way too many screenshots by accidentally pressing the power and volume up buttons.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The X3 is the perfect size. If it had a decent starbucks app and opened other apps (facebook, Skype For Business, OneNote) faster, I'd not worry about an Iphone or Android. Odd that Skype4B and OneNote are actually faster on the Iphone than on a Windows Mobile device.

In fact, I would have kept using the 950xl longer if I knew I could double-tap on the navigation bar to lock it. I have taken way too many screenshots by accidentally pressing the power and volume up buttons.

If I was using it for business, I might be inclined but for a consumer phone (for me) its too big. Of course I'm using an iPhone SE right now and loving the fact I don't even know I have the thing in my pocket. My Idol 4s feels big now! Its all what you get used to.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I would say my Lumia 950 XL is far superior to my old Samsung ATIV S in everything!

I would say my Lumia 950 XL gave a good run too Samsung Galaxy 🌌 S7 & Apple iPhone 7, Google Pixel series. No problems here.....my opinion.

My Lumia 950 XL against Samsung S8 & Apple iPhone 8 & Google Pixel 2 doesn't have a chance ☹ .....but expected coming two years old!

Sent from Lumia 950XL

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I only discovered the double tap on the nav bar to lock a few weeks ago myself and been using it since. Can't believe it's been there all this time and never noticed it

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay, let's do this again. I took pictures just now with my 1520, 950xl, Elite X3, and Iphone 7+

And finally the Iphone 7+ as an outside comparison.

Nice comparison job for the first three.

Wish the iP7 photo wasn't so closed-up. It's hard enough to analyse picts viewed on WC app on phone.

...!!

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site

Yeah, I'm happy to use that feature. I've found it accidentally on second day of using. Double-tap to unlock and double-tap on bar to lock. Very useful on such a big screen.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I would say my Lumia 950 XL is far superior to my old Samsung ATIV S in everything!

I would say my Lumia 950 XL gave a good run too Samsung Galaxy ?????? S7 & Apple iPhone 7, Google Pixel series. No problems here.....my opinion.

My Lumia 950 XL against Samsung S8 & Apple iPhone 8 & Google Pixel 2 doesn't have a chance ☹ .....but expected coming two years old!

Sent from Lumia 950XL

I've compared my 950 XL to S8 Plus and iPhone 7 Plus... on my opinion, it's somewhere on par with that phones. But, on subjective feeling, I like 950 XL much more.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I only discovered the double tap on the nav bar to lock a few weeks ago myself and been using it since. Can't believe it's been there all this time and never noticed it

Oh, boy... I feel so sorry for You, since it's a so necessary feature for 950 XL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234