Bulging battery - is this even safe?

WillB920

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
The battery in my 950 xl started misbehaving in the way others have noted (random shutdowns; not lasting long). Also noticed my back cover was no longer fitting closely around the camera lens. So I took it off and find that the battery is bulging likes it's swollen, so much that it is pushing the cover up a bit. What is going on?

I ordered a new battery on Amazon; but is it even safe to use the phone with this bulging battery for the week+ it will take the replacement battery to arrive? Any advice will be gratefully received.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Once you notice the battery is swollen or compromised in any way, you should immediately stop using the device. Turn the power off, and above all else, do not charge the device. Once the battery has reached such a point of failure that the battery is swollen, you must assume that all safety mechanisms in the battery are offline.

T
he battery is removable so you should be able to remove it by yourself and immediately dispose of it

Zombies Aaargh

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
The battery should be replaced ASAP, but it isn't actually dangerous. It won't explode or burn up like the Samsung batteries did.

I've replaced maybe 50-60 batteries because of problems like this and the end users have continued to use them for several days with only the problems that you are reporting.

The best advice is not to leave the phone unattended while charging "just in case". There will be no danger to the handset of the user unless the battery is getting very hot, in which case take it out and put it in an old jar or tin can in case it leaks.

The safety mechanisms have been triggered, and the reaction in the handset is largely done.

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey OP,

Just curious which battery you ordered from Amazon. Since OEM batteries for this are non-existent and I hesitate to order any of the third-party ones, I'm trying to get a feel for which battery is the one to get.

Seldom

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey OP,

Just curious which battery you ordered from Amazon. Since OEM batteries for this are non-existent and I hesitate to order any of the third-party ones, I'm trying to get a feel for which battery is the one to get.

Same question from me as well as I'll be needing one too.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The smartest advice anyone can give you is to stop using the device with that battery. Anything else is foolish and taking a chance.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

WillB920

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and apologies for my silence. In the time it took for my original post to be approved, I found plenty of posts online urging the same as some of you have: stop using that battery immediately!

I have no idea if the battery I ordered from Amazon will be any good; but it was this one:
https://www.amazon.com/3340mAh-Batt...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3686850

I'm especially annoyed because the delivery is so slow and my only back-up phone is micro sim; so I had to pay ATT $5 for a new sim card and will have to do the same again when the battery arrives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo