Photographing and video recording the eclipse

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Assuming that B&H's experiments taking pictures of the sun (quoted later) applies to a 950XL camera, does anyone know the best way to take pictures or videos of a solar Eclipse with a 950XL? Don't want to mess up since I only have to go 650 miles for the full eclipse and the next one is another 7 years and farther away.

Test #6 : Digital Sensor

Myth: Direct, concentrated sunlight will damage a digital sensor.

Results: I took a test shot of the top of the New Yorker Hotel before shooting the sun. To verify sensor operation, I also took a test shot in between solar images. I shot the sun filtered and then unfiltered at 1/500 second, 1, 30, and 60 seconds.

At 1/500 second, the sensor went completely white, as expected. The unexpected result was that at 1, 30, and 60 seconds, the images were of a noisy blue and black abstract scene—not overexposed pure white.

The in-between images of the hotel showed no sensor degradation or adverse effects on the sensor. And, after being exposed to direct, focused sunlight for 60 seconds, the sensor appeared unharmed.

This is good news for DSLR live-view, mirrorless, and point-and-shoot photographers who compose images with the sensor energized.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3