Leaving the 950 behind for the LG V30

ninwiito

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
So i'm finally calling it quits with windows mobile. I've been dealing with windows mobile since the Lumia 920, which was the first smartphone I've ever owned. Back then I had high hopes for the mobile platform but started to fade away a few months after I picked up the 950. My new phone experience was definitely better with windows 8 mobile on the 920, it had way less bugs and was way more stable than window 10 mobile. Now it's 2017 and the app situation is still the same and the current OS lacks so many features that android and IOS have. If MS are still planning to reveal a trump card or something, it's already too late. I've lost all hope and trust for the platform.

ninwiito

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
The 950 is a over powered phone held back by the OS. The battery on this phone is horrible and I had to run through 4 battery replacements due to them being so quick to fail in life span of 4-6 months. Don't know what kind of update they did to maps app but it sucks *** now and is very glitchy and jumpy. The headphone jack sucked and did not work correctly with most of my headsets. Imma just stop here before I go on a long rant.
Anyways..
I plan to switch over to T-mobile from ATT so they can pay off the rest of this phone for me so I can get the V30 this November. The phone looks really promising. I'm going to miss the windows tiles but not by that much.

What do you guys think about the LG V30?

Edit: Had to double post because of some error with exceeding spam threshold or something.

Last edited:

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
FWIW the V30 looks great. I'm not a big fan of the LG user interface but my older son loves it. He has a v20 after going from a v10 to a note 7 to a replacement crappy S7 and dumped it as soon as possible for a v20.

Enjoy.

Oh and I'm a big fan of TMO. I have my personal phone on T-Mobile and my work on AT&T. At this point TMO is better faster and has more coverage in the state of Los Angeles than ATT.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting on the V30 myself. I still have my 920 and pulled it out about a month or so ago when I went to the Botanic Gardens in Pittsburgh and it held up pretty well.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I actually pulled the trigger on a V30 tonight. I love my 950 XL but Microsoft has repeatedly proven to me that my investments in Windows 10 Mobile will never return anything but mild sadness. I still love my Surface Pro 4, and will continue to support Microsoft's services, use Windows 10, and actively participate in the Insider Program. But that vision no longer includes Windows phones, as Microsoft has proven over and over again.
My 950 XL is a fantastic phone with a beautiful screen and an amazing camera. But it's been brought down by a broken operating system (albeit with the best UI on the planet). I will keep it and my 950, so I'll still have some Tiles in my life, but my daily driver will be the V30.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I actually pulled the trigger on a V30 tonight. I love my 950 XL but Microsoft has repeatedly proven to me that my investments in Windows 10 Mobile will never return anything but mild sadness. I still love my Surface Pro 4, and will continue to support Microsoft's services, use Windows 10, and actively participate in the Insider Program. But that vision no longer includes Windows phones, as Microsoft has proven over and over again.
My 950 XL is a fantastic phone with a beautiful screen and an amazing camera. But it's been brought down by a broken operating system (albeit with the best UI on the planet). I will keep it and my 950, so I'll still have some Tiles in my life, but my daily driver will be the V30.

Let me (us) know how the V30 compares to the 950 XL; i'm curious. I'm super happy with my 950 XL; even though it's 2 years old, the camera is still on par with what's been coming out from Apple and Samsung; i'm trying to stick with my phone, but you never know what will happen over the next few months...pulling the plug on Groove hit me hard! I really liked it; Spotify on my phone is super lame....

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
FWIW the V30 looks great. I'm not a big fan of the LG user interface but my older son loves it. He has a v20 after going from a v10 to a note 7 to a replacement crappy S7 and dumped it as soon as possible for a v20.

Enjoy.

Oh and I'm a big fan of TMO. I have my personal phone on T-Mobile and my work on AT&T. At this point TMO is better faster and has more coverage in the state of Los Angeles than ATT.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3
I'm currently using a V20 that I bought 2 months ago. The only reason I'm not getting the V30 is because I just got the V20. I couldn't wait for the V30, since my Moto X Pure Edition was dying.

I use Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android devices, so I didn't have any issues with the LG interface as opposed to the stock Android interface on the MXPE.

I'm loving the camera and the quad DAC on the V20, and it looks like the V30 has improved these features.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Let me (us) know how the V30 compares to the 950 XL; i'm curious. I'm super happy with my 950 XL; even though it's 2 years old, the camera is still on par with what's been coming out from Apple and Samsung; i'm trying to stick with my phone, but you never know what will happen over the next few months...pulling the plug on Groove hit me hard! I really liked it; Spotify on my phone is super lame....

I definitely will. It should be arriving tomorrow, which makes me pretty excited. I'll be writing up all my thoughts in a semi-professional first impressions.
Honestly, Microsoft cutting the cord on Groove was part of the reason I finally decided to make the jump. It's the final straw in a long line of burnt straws. I love my 950 XL, and I'm going to keep it and probably keep using it, but I can't justify continuing to invest in it. So I'm moving to Android.

mtbmike24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had a similar situation but I have been with Wp exclusively for 7 years now a Samsung Focus was my first smart phone I'm with a 950xl now that's been giving me all kinds of fits now for the last 6 months. I narrowed down to too phones the v30 or the new Google pixel 2 xl. I chose the Pixel because of stock Android. I got my wife a pixel a couple of months back she ditched her 950 which has been worse than my phone. I can't believe how fast and smooth the pixel is. The fluidity of the pixel is what sold me on the second gen and also the updates.... 8.0 has made my wifes pixel even faster. I dropped for the 128g version in black hopefully end of month. I will never return to Microsoft for any mobile device in the future. Good luck with your V30. I was very close to getting this over the pixel.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I have had a similar situation but I have been with Wp exclusively for 7 years now a Samsung Focus was my first smart phone I'm with a 950xl now that's been giving me all kinds of fits now for the last 6 months. I narrowed down to too phones the v30 or the new Google pixel 2 xl. I chose the Pixel because of stock Android. I got my wife a pixel a couple of months back she ditched her 950 which has been worse than my phone. I can't believe how fast and smooth the pixel is. The fluidity of the pixel is what sold me on the second gen and also the updates.... 8.0 has made my wifes pixel even faster. I dropped for the 128g version in black hopefully end of month. I will never return to Microsoft for any mobile device in the future. Good luck with your V30. I was very close to getting this over the pixel.
Thanks man. I was also considering the Pixel 2 XL but I have over 97GB of music alone so I cannot give up microSD support or the headphone jack, and that QDAC is the cherry on top. I'll settle for LG's decent launcher (it's better than Samsung's), in exchange for all those great features.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
When I eventually go back to Android, the V30 is my 1st choice. Wish screen was wider like Elite X3. The V30 6" screen is not much bigger than my 5.5" Idol 4S and noticeably smaller than 6" Elite X3. Seems like long and skinny is new norm for android phablets. Please report back on how it goes. I'm guessing HP is looking to move X3 to android, hopefully they keep same screen size and minimize bloat since I'll definitely consider it before pulling trigger on LG.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Had a very similar experience to you all - using Lumias on TMo since my 810. My 950XL is running just fine, but one thing after another from MS, then pulling the plug on Groove - that really hurt. I tried Spotify and found the app to be absolute garbage. Decided it was time to jump ship, and got a used V20 last Friday.

So far, I've been very happy with the V20. It's huge, screen is great, and runs really well. Battery last a lot longer than my 950XL (in it's defense, was probably just time for a new one).

I am running the Microsoft Launcher with all Microsoft apps running. Backing up photos with Onedrive just like my 950XL.... transition wasn't too bad.

What has really blown me away is the app selection. I always used to say - all I need is good email and calendar. You can do everything else online.

I was wrong.

The apps on Android are ridiculously better than WP. Spotify is really great, Android Pay is great.... I could go on and on. Once you've actually jumped- you can really see why MS pulled the plug - they were never going to make up that app gap.

Regardless, the LG skin on the V20 is ... meh. But I really like the Microsoft Launcher. I really wanted a V30, but just couldn't justify the cost, since I was able to score a V20 off swappa at a great price. But assuming the V30 is even better, I think you all will love it. The MS apps on Android are great, and so far the experience with my V20 (albeit, for 6 days or so) has been really good.

Good Luck!

ninwiito

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
So I was finally able to pick up the v30 yesterday and so far my experience with it have been great.
The app selection is way bigger and the apps also work and are integrated better with the OS.

The only thing that this phone suffers from is the display. I've watched many reviews for the phone but no one really talked about the OLED display in this phone. The 950 definitely had a better OLED display.

For some reason the screen can look pixelated when the phone is trying to handle gradient colors. Also the screen starts to look even worse when lowering the brightness, its almost like the screen is losing its bitrate or something.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm now using a V20 with SquareHome2, which is fantastic once you get through all the settings and configure to your liking. Still miss W10M, but this will have to do for now. I started with the MS Launcher, but I just prefer tiles and vertical scrolling.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting - I have also read a bunch of reviews about the V30, and didn't see anything but positives about the screen. Might swing by my local TMo store this weekend to check it out the screen and camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss