Lumia 950 XL stopped working with strange icon

88_King

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

My Lumia 950 XL stopped working and the battery no longer chargers. When I plugin to the charger, the phone vibrate once and a battery icon with X in the middle shows up briefly.

I have tried the following after many hours without any effect:

Charging with different charger;
Charging with different cable;
Charging with computer instead wall plug;
Charging with wireless charger;

I can not find any information on the web regarding the battery with X symbol.

Does anyone knows what is wrong with the phone? I suspect the battery is dead.

Have bought a replacement battery from this seller on Amazon, since they do Prime shipping. Just hope the battery is genuine, and I can carry on using the phone again!

Has any body bought from this seller before?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3710634

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20171013_000201.jpg
    20171013_000201.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Logic suggests that the X means the battery is not charging, and/or it's dead. BUT since the phone IS showing something that also suggest the charging port works and power IS going in, enough to turn on the screen. Replacing the battery MIGHT fix it.

Also can I ask, was the phone not used for a while? Could the battery be completely dead and too low to accept a charge? This can happen with SOME chargeable devices. (We used to have this issue with BlackBerry Playbooks) IF the battery became too dead and completely drained, it would not have enough juice to start the charging cycle. The solution was a process called "stack charging" The way to do it, is to either plug the charger in to a power strip with a switch on it, and then switch it on for a few seconds then off, then on, then off, etc it can take 50 to 100 switches to get the charge up to a level where your device can charge normally, OR you can plug and unplug the USB cord. This MIGHT not be the issue and it might not work either. :)

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I am facing the exactly same issue. The battery is charging. It was 100% before it turned off.

1. A strange thing was happening. Whenever it was placed on table, it worked properly but whenever I lifted it up, it would turn off. It seems something is loose, may be the connectors or the bolts. It's very difficult to say.

2. Battery should be fine or else it would no have charged.

Have you managed to solve this problem?
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Like asked prior...
If the phone is a few years in use and old already with the battery original it could be one of two things. The battery died or is faulty. Or the contacts on the battery that wrap around the three posts in the phone have been worn down so that they no longer make solid contact. Either way, the icon means the battery is missing or faulty.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I have recently found that the horizontal strip that houses the three contacts on battery is loose. I am trying to find screw drivers to tighten the screws on the battery cap. If this doesn't work, I will replace the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb