L950 or 950 xl ? 2018

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
btw I don't care about app gap :p don't care about SC, IG is there, FB too... Twitter... meh.
Games? lol I'm fine with doodle jump, all I've ever need. So... if you are gonna give arguments leave app gap aside. TY

Do you know.. believe it or not.. one of the main reasons everyone started bashing WP and wouldnt buy one is because they couldnt get Angry Birds or Candy Crush on a Lumia.. Oh yes.. thats actually true :)

It was a rough time for WP.. I even heard quite a few store assistants bashing it over the Galaxy S5 and LG G4.. and IMO, WP never quite recovered from that..

Shame really ow silly and easily led by others some people can be

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Do you know.. believe it or not.. one of the main reasons everyone started bashing WP and wouldnt buy one is because they couldnt get Angry Birds or Candy Crush on a Lumia.. Oh yes.. thats actually true :)

It was a rough time for WP.. I even heard quite a few store assistants bashing it over the Galaxy S5 and LG G4.. and IMO, WP never quite recovered from that..

Shame really ow silly and easily led by others some people can be

It is a shame. In a way we feel we are entitled to such things as "Angry Birds" but why? Really? Because everyone else has it? But really why, why as an indvidual do we want self to be fulfilled with the Angry Birds, insta twitter, face stories and the like? Maybe it is our human nature and partly we like to be spoiled or have it our way right away in these times. Its self fufilling at touch of a finger. Stimulation as quick as you can lift the phone to your face I guess. No matter how you look at it. But we forget how these tools of entertainment are also tools to connect us everywhere. Maybe it is the younger generation that sees them mostly as forms of entertainment and media consumption..We are all guilty of that frame of mind in one way or another. It is just the times we live in. But yes still a shame at times too that one would be bashing something cuz Angry birds is unavailable. That, I don't get lol!

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It is a shame. In a way we feel we are entitled to such things as "Angry Birds" but why? Really? Because everyone else has it? But really why, why as an indvidual do we want self to be fulfilled with the Angry Birds, insta twitter, face stories and the like? Maybe it is our human nature and partly we like to be spoiled or have it our way right away in these times. Its self fufilling at touch of a finger. Stimulation as quick as you can lift the phone to your face I guess. No matter how you look at it. But we forget how these tools of entertainment are also tools to connect us everywhere. Maybe it is the younger generation that sees them mostly as forms of entertainment and media consumption..We are all guilty of that frame of mind in one way or another. It is just the times we live in. But yes still a shame at times too that one would be bashing something cuz Angry birds is unavailable. That, I don't get lol!

I hear you friend... I mean,, Candy Crush, seriously.. of all the pieces of trash to damage a fantastic device.. it would be a silly childish game wouldnt it.., but because of this.. Banking apps, eBay, sporting apps.. have all dwindled and ditched WP support.. Most of them, such as eBay, Banks, STRAVA..etc can be accessed through the web, but, apart from FitBit.. sports and smart watch apps like Garmin and POLAR have all gone sadly..

Your right.. people just want it all put in front of them.. no effort and even though WP IU is one of the most powerful.. It does require some tinkering to get it the way you like it .. and some people just cant be bothered to do that...

99% of people who have a Samsung or an iPhone still have those god awful Default out ofthe Box Ringtones because they cant be bothered to change it up abit.. Its a sad lazy world we live in

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey I've been looking at xposed framework, there's **** ton of modules, do you guys think this low level of customization could let us mod our way to a WP themed Android?
Making pngs for WP is npt that hard, and there's already a ton of stuff available out there. We should go through the endless pages of modules and see what we can use. And of course if someome has deeper knowledge of how xposed works the comunity could have their own specific WP theme oriented modules.
It might be time to start a new thread.
I started thinking of this because the life span of a 950 is gonna be hell short... I'd like to pick a phone that can lool and work how I want and be able to keep it at least for three years. I think MS is going to ditch the 950 way sooner than that, and even if they don't Whatsapp might, to pick an example, and the core apps are not negotiable.

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
And I just glanced my eyes upon Nokia Steel and, as expected, it doesn't support windows...
Wearable's support is not often discussed when comparing platforms, I mean I know it's a part of the app gap, but I think it should be more visibilized. It might be a deal breaker for some people.
I could go for a 950xl with a Misfit Ray but when we start to add things up there's little room to convince myself to go back to windows on mobile.
The Misfit is nice and versatile but god that Nokia Steel is sleek. Lovely. God why u do this to us? lol

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, when I finish gathering ma bucks I'll certainly give it a try. Btw, I use lightroom quite a bit on the SE and it's amazing for photo editing. There's nothing even close to that in w10m right? I have rawr (back from 830) but I don't remember it being even close to lightroom...

Have a look into Fantasia Painter. My go to for editing

... !

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
If I end up with a L950xl I'll certainly will. Thanks for the reccomendation. The device choice L950xl/OneplusOne will depend on which seller answers first and completes the transaction first, so this will be fun, fate will decide. Aside that, for the price (deals on the table are 100£ for either of them) the Oneplus seems the best option since can be used with the gorgeous Nokia Steel, it's downside is the lack of microSD slot (and also the camera) since I have a 128Gb memory sitting on my deck (cause I have an SE) and with the Lumia I could take advantage of that storage again.
So... hit me up with your insights on how this two devices compete, maybe this went a little off-topic, idk... Cheers!

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. I'm waiting for my L950xl to be delivered, in the meantime I read some ugly rumors regarding maps support. Do you guys still have a functioning map app on w10m? I'm gonna find out in a few days but still... Would like to know what I'm gonna encounter beforehand. lol

RBX27

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Maps working fine on my 950XL.. I've got Google Maps pinned to start too. Works fine as well through the browser. Cortana is also still ok on the phone. Not as good as in 8.1 but still pretty good IMO..

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Been using my Lumia 950 XL since June 2016 and I love it. It use to run a bit hot but as the updates came it became better. The camera on this phone is real good and the screen is simply one of the best I have ever seen. Many of the missing apps' services can still be accessed in a Browser. I ise the Moment browser for reading news just mentioned some. Apps I use are Spotify for music, Netflix for movies, Twitter and Facebook plus Instagram for social stuff and even Yammer. In many ways it seems like this phone is in no way dead as all say. Also I get tons of updates for my Microsoft apps and other apps. It is a very nice smart phone 🐱*👤🐱*👤🐱*👤

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi there. I'm waiting for my L950xl to be delivered, in the meantime I read some ugly rumors regarding maps support. Do you guys still have a functioning map app on w10m? I'm gonna find out in a few days but still... Would like to know what I'm gonna encounter beforehand. lol

Maps still works fine for me.

The good news about you getting a lumia now, is that PWAs are supported in the store (twitter, uber). The downside is that they don't support notifications. But it does help the straddling place windows UWP platform is in for windows mobile users - there will be many more PWAs in the future.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Cortana is probably my most liked assistant.
Too bad it’s ecosystem is non-existent

Well there's a small bunch of beta skills in the US, but no one else can access them. Or did you mean hardware ecosystem?

I think they are really, from what they have said, re-tooling cortana to be more of an OS feature, than the other assistants. Something that proactively anticipates your patterns of behaviour and makes suggestions about your documents or activities. Like the sort of "I know that at this time of evening you usually like to listen to bach, would you like me to play some for you?" or 'you've been working on your monthly report, would you like me to open the set?' type of thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte