L950 or 950 xl ? 2018

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I was thinking on getting my hands on a L950/XL.
yeah, I'm mad.
Since the XL has the problematic 810 volcano processor I was wondering if the 950 was a better choice.
lol I just miss the UI so much I just wanna see if it's good for my daily driver. I love the fact that the music player always works on my SE but god this icon based OSs are ugly (including Android) (my 830 sometimes decided not to play **** unless I rebooted)
well, I hope you guys can give me some insight.
Thanks in advance.

btw I don't care about app gap :p don't care about SC, IG is there, FB too... Twitter... meh.
Games? lol I'm fine with doodle jump, all I've ever need. So... if you are gonna give arguments leave app gap aside. TY

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Had both and the XL was better by far. Better size, better battery, looks nicer, never over heated, ran smoother etc etc etc

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Do you have a friend with an android phone that will let you trst a launcher on it? That might be a good first step. The unfortunate reality is that even if you don't care about apps, terminating support for the web browser and not updating it will limit the utility of the device as a smartphone even if you don't install a single app. That should start becoming evident in about two years as some web sites won't load.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
My 950 xl rarely gets hot. Sometimes while using Edge or maybe the camera or photos app under heavy use. I like the screen and sizing of text and objects on the XL better than the 950. I think if the 950 was fhd rather than qhd I'd probably have a hard time choosing between the two.

The 950 is a lot cheaper though.

To add to what was kind of already commented on...the OS is sound, really stable. Others may argue that one and maybe its relative to my use, but I remember all the OS causing issues and crashes we use to see on W10M. I see things from time to time that are anomalies but not detrimental, you know. I do end up unlocking all my Windows phones to edit and tweak things to my needs and wants. Even with all the reg edits and different changes I do the phone runs excellent. Battery life on the 950 xl is really good. For me in perspective, I've been off the charger for over 13 hrs and have 61% left.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
still using my 950 XL till now,wife with 950, go with XL ,no issues with processor, where you plan buying from Ebay? checkout reviews, there's still an awful lot around

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've never had the XL, but a 950 is my phone. I find it's battery life a tad short, it overheats when you game. But its about the right size, runs pretty smooth (now with all the updates - used to glitch occasionally, reset, but worst I get now is a very rare app freeze - just close and reopen), has a classy *** camera and has some good music apps and DAC (it can handle higher resolution music well).

Anything bigger for me would be a pain in the neck. But no-one with an XL seems to complain. I'd say choose based on budget and the sort of screen size you want to be handling.

For people that aren't app hungry, I don't think any functionality will be lost in the usual consumer lifespan of a phone. There's still some dev support for UWPs, and you get some downstream app updates from desktop still. Some PWA services were added to edge mobile end of last year.

That said, nobody is really certain what kind of support WM will get, in terms of browser and app updates. For me, that's no big deal. I'm not fond of android, ios, apple or google, and the UI on WM is clean, simple, and some of the features such as handsfree texting in the car are handy AF.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
lol wat? MS is not updating Edge's compatibility?

Mine's running 40.15254.158.0 which is a January update. There's other third party browsers which are decent enough, so far as I can tell they are maintaining updates on core apps like edge. There are cases where the UWP desktop update isn't getting downstreamed to mobile, like the new photos app (although there's a way you can still get it), because they can't be arsed optimizing it for mobile, but to me it looks like edge is being updated.

It has some PWA services and options installed, and that's a new thing, although WM can't run them fullscreened, just within the browser, and notifications don't work, the web apps themselves still run (I checked out mobile.twitter.com the other day)

So personally I don't see edge suddenly breaking in terms of compatibility.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
950 xl forum has more than a few overheating posts, u sure guys it's solved ? :p maybe u love the UI a little too much?

No. Is fine here.
It is all dependent on the user though. I would look at it as a user by user case. Are all those recent threads and are they sure the unit is overheating.

To me overheating means you heat the SoC up so much it shuts off and won't turn back on until it cools down, or the thing is out of control and the cooling heating dissipation in place is unable to control/contain the temperature and the unit runs hot and causes problems. I use to over heat my 1320 until shut off.

Heat is typical on any handheld once in a while or sometimes during heavy network traffic/updates/new provisioning/first time setup etc. All devices get somewhat warm/hot/hotter depending I suppose. I have owned many different 950 XL phones for different reasons. Not one of them over heated. They got hot or warm sometimes. There use to be an issue with heating up while charging. I personally do not see that anymore since the last FW update they had back in 2017 end of 2016 I think.

lucaspedersoli

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, when I finish gathering ma bucks I'll certainly give it a try. Btw, I use lightroom quite a bit on the SE and it's amazing for photo editing. There's nothing even close to that in w10m right? I have rawr (back from 830) but I don't remember it being even close to lightroom...

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
lol wat? MS is not updating Edge's compatibility?

Hang on.. wat... WP10 is still being updated.. as well as the Edge browser... Wheres the source of this "MS stopping Edge compatibility on WP10"?

To answer the question which Im sure everyone on here is sick of repeating.. .. Yes, WP 8.1 IS DEAD.. WP10M is Alive and Kicking...

If you want the BEST camera on ANY smartphone.. even in 2018... and I mean THE BEST.. you cant go wrong with either 950 or the XL... the 950 / XL camera walks all over anything that Samsung or Huawei are doing, which is why the Android bunch keep saying WP is dead, because they know the camera, speed and UI is better than Anything google can do, They just wont admit it

IMO, The only downside with the XL is the Speaker is tinney.. Its clear and Really loud, just dont expect any rich sound.. theres No Bass and No middle, its almost on par with the S7 Edge and S8 , so IMO, its OK, just dont use the loudspeaker for serious music listening :)

The XL had a rocky start and its been bashed over the las t year or so from both Reviewers and Android and Apple fans, but its still going strong.. in fact.. Alcatel only released the Idol 4S Windows 10 phone a year ago... so WP10M is still going and still being supported.. so dont worry..

Buy your XL and enjoy it..

Last edited:

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I was thinking on getting my hands on a L950/XL.
yeah, I'm mad.
Since the XL has the problematic 810 volcano processor I was wondering if the 950 was a better choice.
lol I just miss the UI so much I just wanna see if it's good for my daily driver. I love the fact that the music player always works on my SE but god this icon based OSs are ugly (including Android) (my 830 sometimes decided not to play **** unless I rebooted)
well, I hope you guys can give me some insight.
Thanks in advance.

btw I don't care about app gap :p don't care about SC, IG is there, FB too... Twitter... meh.
Games? lol I'm fine with doodle jump, all I've ever need. So... if you are gonna give arguments leave app gap aside. TY
You are NOT mad!

Sent from mTalk

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hang on.. wat... WP10 is still being updated.. as well as the Edge browser... Wheres the source of this "MS stopping Edge compatibility on WP10"?

To answer the question which Im sure everyone on here is sick of repeating.. .. Yes, WP 8.1 IS DEAD.. WP10M is Alive and Kicking...

If you want the BEST camera on ANY smartphone.. even in 2018... and I mean THE BEST.. you cant go wrong with either 950 or the XL... the 950 / XL camera walks all over anything that Samsung or Huawei are doing, which is why the Android bunch keep saying WP is dead, because they know the camera, speed and UI is better than Anything google can do, They just wont admit it

IMO, The only downside with the XL is the Speaker is tinney.. Its clear and Really loud, just dont expect any rich sound.. theres No Bass and No middle, its almost on par with the S7 Edge and S8 , so IMO, its OK, just dont use the loudspeaker for serious music listening :)

The XL had a rocky start and its been bashed over the las t year or so from both Reviewers and Android and Apple fans, but its still going strong.. in fact.. Alcatel only released the Idol 4S Windows 10 phone a year ago... so WP10M is still going and still being supported.. so dont worry..

Buy your XL and enjoy it..

Go to settings and extras. In there you can use the equalizer to give the rear Lumia speaker more depth. At least I can on my L950.

Sent from mTalk

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings and extras. In there you can use the equalizer to give the rear Lumia speaker more depth. At least I can on my L950.

Sent from mTalk

Really... I only thought the EQ was for Headphone use.. Ill give that a try on my XL.. and let you know..

Thanks for the heads up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3