W10M better on 950XL over x3?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Is it me or is the software experience better on the 950xl over the x3? I recently bought both of them (I know I have a problem), with the goal of holding on to one more long term. While the hardware of the x3 is undeniable better, I feel like the software runs smoother and actually faster on the 950xl. Feels like it is better optimized. Maybe it's just personal opinion maybe not. Am I off? Any others experience this or vice versa?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't surprise me b/c MS hosed HP with the abrupt "mobile retrenchment". I read HP had all sorts of plans for the x3, they were actively working on optimizing it b/c they knew it wasn't out of the gate, and they were caught off guard when MS announced they were essentially abandoning W10M. So it makes sense they halted stuff that was in the works and they haven't tweaked firmware and probably haven't worked with MS the past year optimizing it in the more recent builds. With that said, I only used the x3 a couple times in a MS Store and last December was the most recent but other than the camera being noticeably slower, the performance was on par with my 950xl.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't surprise me b/c MS hosed HP with the abrupt "mobile retrenchment". I read HP had all sorts of plans for the x3, they were actively working on optimizing it b/c they knew it wasn't out of the gate, and they were caught off guard when MS announced they were essentially abandoning W10M. So it makes sense they halted stuff that was in the works and they haven't tweaked firmware and probably haven't worked with MS the past year optimizing it in the more recent builds. With that said, I only used the x3 a couple times in a MS Store and last December was the most recent but other than the camera being noticeably slower, the performance was on par with my 950xl.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong the x3 is staple and smooth. It just seems to me that the 950xl is slightly faster and smoother. I think it's the optimization.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It is mostly the optimization of the UI. There are a bunch of tweaks for transitions and flyout settings that make the phone move from screen to screen app to app faster on the 950 XL than the X3 because of how Microsoft in the end has tweaked the Lumia through its past firmware updates. Some of that stuff can be found in the registry. Some of it lies or is controlled in other areas of the device OS/Phone. Like the PLAT partition or DPP. I would venture to say and agree that if HP had sent more fw updates, and had time to do so with longer support. They too would have attempted tweaks into such areas of optimization.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I feel the X3 is faster, enjoy the 3G 2nd sim, but I prefer my 950XL overall
You saying tthe second sim on the x3 is 3g?
I'm still trying to decided what i like better. Been driving the 950xl last few days. I'll then drive the x3 for some days straight to come to a conclusion. This 950xl is smooth as butter!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@Byrese
Any second sim option on a Windows phone lacks LTE/4G (Maybe this is in the US only?). I am not even sure a second sim on a Windows 10 mobile phone will get 3G. I know the 950 XL for sure only got 2G. This made it hard for folks in the US where the carriers started sun-setting 2G towers for re-purposing. T-Mobile is one of the few that still has 2G mostly active.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You saying tthe second sim on the x3 is 3g?
I'm still trying to decided what i like better. Been driving the 950xl last few days. I'll then drive the x3 for some days straight to come to a conclusion. This 950xl is smooth as butter!

Yes one SIM can be 4g and the other can do 3g

It's hard to explain, things happen on my X3 which makes me feel it never happened on the 950XL. When I first started using it, a lot of times, I thought, hmm never saw that before

I never thought I'd like it, but I'm ok with the size of the x3, feels great and is snappy

Instagram on the 950xl is tough, hard to use it for stories now. Crashes a lot when trying to work through a story

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes one SIM can be 4g and the other can do 3g

It's hard to explain, things happen on my X3 which makes me feel it never happened on the 950XL. When I first started using it, a lot of times, I thought, hmm never saw that before

I never thought I'd like it, but I'm ok with the size of the x3, feels great and is snappy

Instagram on the 950xl is tough, hard to use it for stories now. Crashes a lot when trying to work through a story

Yes I've found Instagram on the 950XL to be tough too! The size of this x3 is growing on me. The hardware is just the best of any WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills