Integrated Qi Charging Vs. Cover Charging

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I doubt I'd leave. I hate Apple and Android is just awful. Just probably wouldn't buy that particular phone. Not interested in the 950XL. Too big for me. May end up waiting for the Surface phone or a 3rd party offering like the Acer Jade Primo.

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
So far it's been a bit ambiguous about whether it'll be a case like the 925 and 1020 had or a replacement outer shell like the 820, 730, and others have had. The later would be preferable but I wouldn't mind the former. I always found the design of the ones they had for the 925 nice because it gave it a chance to add some color and leveled off the camera bump. The only thing that bothers me is they keep talking only about a flip cover, which I don't want. If they want to make one, more power to the people that want one, but they better also offer a version that's just the back cover.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Sa case like the 925 and 1020 had

The 925 Qi back is great but made out of terrible brittle plastic. I heard the 1020 case is not much better. The only thing worse than paying $30+ for $1.25 worth of plastic and metal coil is having to buy it two or three times because the edges that snap it to the phone break off...

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that bothers me is they keep talking only about a flip cover, which I don't want. If they want to make one, more power to the people that want one, but they better also offer a version that's just the back cover.
That is a good point, I'd assumed it would just be a replacement back cover, but I did read 'flip cover'. Really not what I would hope for.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I heard the 1020 case is not much better. The only thing worse than paying $30+ for $1.25 worth of plastic and metal coil is having to buy it two or three times because the edges that snap it to the phone break off...
My daughter has the Qi case on her 1020, so far it's been fine. She never takes it off, and it hasn't broken. Are you taking yours off the 925, or has it broken through normal wear and tear? I agree, the material price can't be much - it's a little molded plastic and a metal coil - gotta be pennies to make.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Meh. I know I am in the minority but I never found the convenience was enough to displace the extra weight added to the device with integrated wireless charging. I am just going to hope that it's not as bad as it was a few years ago.

timppa_k

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have used with Lumia 920 and Lumia 930 Qi charger and it will be one point why to go for the Lumia 950 phone. Some mentioned here weight of Qi but is only few grams. I have in car and at home charger and I don't need to fasten the wire in dark. Only put phone on Qi, simple. Poor people who don't have Qi charging. Still they are arguing against Wire free system. They don't know what they are losing out. But it's not my business.

Last edited:

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Meh. I know I am in the minority but I never found the convenience was enough to displace the extra weight added to the device with integrated wireless charging.

Extra weight? It's so minimal I don't think you'd notice. Have you had a phone with it before?

I am just going to hope that it's not as bad as it was a few years ago.

What do you mean by this? I've had a phone with Qi charging for years now and have had no issues with it whatsoever. Neither has anyone I know that has Qi in their phone.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm still curious on what type of issues you've had with Qi charging. Care to elaborate on my earlier questions?
I don't have any issues with Qi charging as a thing, in fact I used it frequently for my 925 with a charging cover. But I didn't keep my 925 in the charging cover except when charging, because it felt substantially heavier than I preferred. And my 920 was a gorgeous phone but that thing was huge fricken brick in my hand and my pocket. I didn't like the bulk of a charging pad and I was too cheap to buy the smallest possible one, and my kids kept using it as a coaster anyway. So for me...it just didn't add up to enough convenience. Your mileage may vary, and clearly it did!

Maybe I will fall in love with it this go-round, because I do plan to get a 950 despite my imminent debt.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any issues with Qi charging as a thing, in fact I used it frequently for my 925 with a charging cover. But I didn't keep my 925 in the charging cover except when charging, because it felt substantially heavier than I preferred. And my 920 was a gorgeous phone but that thing was huge fricken brick in my hand and my pocket. I didn't like the bulk of a charging pad and I was too cheap to buy the smallest possible one, and my kids kept using it as a coaster anyway. So for me...it just didn't add up to enough convenience. Your mileage may vary, and clearly it did!

Maybe I will fall in love with it this go-round, because I do plan to get a 950 despite my imminent debt.

I've had Qi in my HTC 8X as well as the current Lumia 928 I'm using. Inetegrated in both. While the 8X was a thin light device, the 928 does feel bulkier, though I don't think it was because of the Qi charging built in, as the 8X was a fairly light and thin device.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had Qi in my HTC 8X as well as the current Lumia 928 I'm using. Inetegrated in both. While the 8X was a thin light device, the 928 does feel bulkier, though I don't think it was because of the Qi charging built in, as the 8X was a fairly light and thin device.

Wow, the HTC 8X had Qi charging? I had one *very briefly* and sold it to get the L920. It was indeed a very light device, very slim and I would have kept it except those flush buttons made me crazy. I can't believe that thing had wireless charging..maybe this is all in my head after all. :amaze:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs