Is the Same 20 MP Enough?

Mr Kaja

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
In therm of details, only CM1 and N808 are still comparable to l1020...even in low light. LG G4 is really better in DR and RAW edit (and of course starting and processing speed). I would rather look at dpreview mobile instead of DxO. These results reflects much more my experiences. Anyway, I love digital zoom in videos.

And to the topic - the same camera HW in new flagship would not be great, but its real. I heard, camera in l1020 was too expensive, MS got rid of many Nokia employees...no really positive situation to keep Nokia/Microsoft on the top of camera phones.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Faked? What are you talking about?

It had a ginormous sensor, OIS, a physical shutter, xenon flash, and was fully capable of 34/38 mp shots. The oversampling/reframing down to 5mp which MS is ditching was brilliant (obviously, dump it).

The oversampling/reframing on the 20mp Lumia's worked well also, squeezing quality out of the image when "cropping" down.

Oversampling on the original Pureview, the 808 worked amazingly well (perhaps better than the WP version) though it did not offer the reframing capability. It also offered the capability for full resolution images...

Can't fake the increased resolution any more than a dollar store p&s can fake being a top flight DSLR.

In oversampling we simply downscale the resolution. What is the point of having a good picture quality downscale to mere 5MP resolution when we can have the same picture quality at 8MP using an iPhone

We want the picture the original 20MP picture to be perfect quality.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The whole purpose of the 1020 was the zoom feature and it is great. It is the reason I own the 1020. People that complain about the 41MP continually miss the point and should sit down and shut up.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
As someone who owns a Lumia 1020 and a 1520, I appreciate how much faster the 1520 is at taking pictures even though the 1020's pictures are of a higher quality.
Posted via Tapatalk from my Surface 3 (128GB/4GB)

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The same 20mp sensor would be a deal breaker for me, there's Nothing yet to suggest that it is the same one.
Sensor tech moves on and 2 years on from the 1520/Icon/930 I'm expecting something demonstrably better even at the same res.
That said, I'm also pretty used to MS/Nokia putting out something with glaring back step on it and they've almost killed my optimism for WP.

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for four things from the camera tech in the 950 series.
1: A faster lens, say<=1.8
2: Best in class sensor
3: A physically big(ish) sensor
4: OIS
I fear I'll be disappointed. Everything else is down to the skill of the software developers working on the computational photography aspects of the package.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
20 MB is more than enough. They can improve some other things in the camera and there are so many things in camera tech to improve upon.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Is there anything more known about the camera beside its pixel size? How is it comparing to camer from 930/icon/1520 ?

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The F stop value is 1.9 which is similar to galaxy S6. The iPhone is 2.2 I think. Lower is better.

Lower is better. Most 50mm lenses are f1/8. When you get down to f1/4 or lower is when the depth of field increases, and the ability to shoot in a darker environment without the need for a flash.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Does the 950 will have Raw format?

Yes, saw reports it offers dual jpg/dng capture options.

So now that we know 950XL camers specs: A closer look at the Lumia 950 XL camera | Windows Central

How does the old one from 930 compare to the new one? Lets talk about normal, outdoor, during a daylight, conditions.

Probably be difficult to tell the difference. The 930 didn't suffer in well lit outdoor conditions. Low light/indoors/moving subjects, should see a difference.

Static indoor shots, or well behaved subjects should be much improved -better sensitivity, f/1.9, etc all make sense.

Moving subjects will be the interesting one to me. IE kids with the energy of being 4 years old. No xenon? I'm waiting to be impressed MS. Good luck.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The F stop value is 1.9 which is similar to galaxy S6. The iPhone is 2.2 I think. Lower is better.
Lower is better. Most 50mm lenses are f1/8. When you get down to f1/4 or lower is when the depth of field increases, and the ability to shoot in a darker environment without the need for a flash.
Correct, lower is better.
For those who don't know the F Stop/F number (or aperture) works like our eye's pupils. The smaller the FStop the bigger the pupil which allows more light to enter the lens. This results in brighter and quicker photos and greater depth of view as mentioned above.

Also because it has a lower F Stop that means we are able to shoot in dark environments using a lower ISO--which is pretty important in reducing noise/artifacts.

I'd say most prime 50mm lens are either 1.8 (budget) or 1.4. Both are still amazing lenses.

How does the old one from 930 compare to the new one? Lets talk about normal, outdoor, during a daylight, conditions.
Probably be difficult to tell the difference. The 930 didn't suffer in well lit outdoor conditions. Low light/indoors/moving subjects, should see a difference.

Static indoor shots, or well behaved subjects should be much improved -better sensitivity, f/1.9, etc all make sense.

Moving subjects will be the interesting one to me. IE kids with the energy of being 4 years old. No xenon? I'm waiting to be impressed MS. Good luck.
Apparently the 950/950XL also have 'phase pixel autofocus' along with a new OIS and new algorithms to detect how you're holding the phone I'd say the new Lumia should be able to take sharper and brighter photos at a faster rate.
Also given the fact that rich capture is apparently 'always on' (automatically turned on) you should be able to take better photos. Granted you can just remember to turn rich capture on before shooting with the L930(or L1520).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786