11-18-2015 12:44 PM
43 12
tools
    yeah but still 4,5" on 1020 its beter using onehanded then 5" on 930. I know their dimensions are similar, but difirence on size of screen matter when using. And thats what we are talking about. Imagine 4,5" with "no-physical material around screen" as 950, it will be Great device, with small form factor.
    astondg and xandros9 like this.
    08-04-2015 08:14 AM
    I was in the local Verizon store today and tried out the LG Lancet and Lumia 735, what nice sized phones! so much more comfortable in the hand than even my Icon. Can we have a flagship phone this size? Hoping the small bezel 950 turns out to be that nice.
    libra89 and xandros9 like this.
    08-04-2015 08:22 PM
    Actually I have a Lumia 820, which has a 4.3" display, so it's very difficult for me to imagine how big the Lumia 950 will be.
    But I think that this is the perfect size for a flagship.
    08-06-2015 05:01 AM
    The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a 5.2" device. I may have to head to the stores to check it out once it arrives, just to see how it feels in my hand and how it looks. I already know I'd like the features.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-07-2015 09:48 AM
    If they go no bezel and get rid of the hardware buttons the phone probably wouldn't be any bigger than most phones out now
    Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-19-2015 11:49 PM
    If they go no bezel and get rid of the hardware buttons the phone probably wouldn't be any bigger than most phones out now
    Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
    There isn't much room to give on the top and bottom bezels. All the sensors and screen digitizer, cameras... That's why we just haven't seen much variance there in years.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-20-2015 09:07 AM
    My 1520 fits in all my pants pockets. But, I don't own skinny jeans either...
    Please tell me "drive" means one handed operation and not drive down the road...
    I wear skinny jeans and it still fits just fine. But I still sold it on eBay and went back to my 920 because the screen was so fragile it shattered 3 times on very light falls. 920 has been dropped on concrete numerous times and not a single crack. Here's to hoping 950 is rugged like the 920 and not like my old 1520...
    09-27-2015 12:49 PM
    Love it, it's perfect size and exactly what I was wishing for in the next flagship. I loved my 1520 but it was too big and my wife's 830 just slightly too small. 5.2 is perfect.
    09-27-2015 12:51 PM
    I think the overall size should not be any bigger than a Lumia 920 - if they can fit a 5.2" screen into that same size, then I'm okay with it - so long as I can text one handed with ease, and so long as they make the chassis out of a reasonably grippy polymer so that it is easy to hold without having to have giant hands :) I would prefer a 5" screen with a tiny bezel - and smallest chassis possible - I'm not too bothered about having something super thin... prefer a 9mm thickness and decent battery life rather than 6mm and smaller battery.
    jpharwood, sleeve22 and xandros9 like this.
    09-27-2015 01:27 PM
    I wish for a premium phone with L620 dimensions.

I know...it will never happen...but I can dream :/
    jpharwood and xandros9 like this.
    09-27-2015 02:33 PM
    Yeah, only ones here are from Sony "compact" series. But nothing more, its shame.
    10-03-2015 10:03 AM
    Perhaps this is a silly theory, but I'll give it a go anyway. Depending on where the screen is produced it probably made the most sense to make it a 5.2" screen. Especially if they wanted to pack a QHD display. How many phones have a QHD display and come in at less the 5.2"? The only one that comes to mind is the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge at 5.1". Because there aren't much smaller QHD displays being produced it probably cost less for Microsoft to go with a QHD display that is already being produced rather than ordering for a smaller one to be produced just for their phone. Of course you could say that a QHD display isn't totally necessary on the 950 and what not (which I would agree with), but that's the choice Microsoft went with. Putting QHD in the spec sheet just looks better in this age of "Spec Wars".
    nemov888 likes this.
    10-04-2015 02:01 AM
    If I were to go 5.2", I might as well go all the way to 5.7" as far as the size is concerned.
    I've been thinking the same thing. My 5" HTC One is at or a bit above my threshold. At times it toes the line as far as handling with one hand. 5.2 may very well push it over the edge and into (or at least lean it more toward) "not usable with one hand" territory. If that really is the case then I may just opt for the XL. Luckily there's an MS store 5 minutes from me so I'll be able to walk in and play with it before buying.
    jpharwood likes this.
    10-04-2015 08:41 AM
    One other thing you guys might have noticed that might sway you toward the XL - although I am still undecided and need to handle one in the shop first - is the fact that the 950 comes with Gorilla Glass 3 and the XL comes with the latest Gorilla Glass 4.

By the way - the USA prices look much cheaper than the UK prices (I never understand why we get so ripped off in the UK!)... anyway, price is so much cheaper I am going to ask a friend to pick one up next time he is stateside. My only question is... where would you usually buy a phone, off-contract in the states? Microsoft stores...and.... ? I would need bricks and mortar shop rather than online, and preferably a national chain so it is easy to find.... Any ideas?
    10-07-2015 11:27 AM
    One other thing you guys might have noticed that might sway you toward the XL - although I am still undecided and need to handle one in the shop first - is the fact that the 950 comes with Gorilla Glass 3 and the XL comes with the latest Gorilla Glass 4.

By the way - the USA prices look much cheaper than the UK prices (I never understand why we get so ripped off in the UK!)... anyway, price is so much cheaper I am going to ask a friend to pick one up next time he is stateside. My only question is... where would you usually buy a phone, off-contract in the states? Microsoft stores...and.... ? I would need bricks and mortar shop rather than online, and preferably a national chain so it is easy to find.... Any ideas?
    Gorilla glass 3 is more scratch resistant and gorilla glass 4 is more shatter resistant. So I don't think it matters that much.
    10-07-2015 01:54 PM
    My only question is... where would you usually buy a phone, off-contract in the states? Microsoft stores...and.... ?
    You can buy a phone off-contract at any retailer that carries the phone, but they will have a specific carrier's custom software/firmware and sometimes custom hardware configurations (AT&T Lumia 1520 with no Qi charging). But carriers do sell the phones at full retail price without requiring a service contract.

The only way I know if getting a factory unlocked device is through online retailers or directly from a Microsoft Store location. Even national retailers such as Best Buy or Wal-Mart only sell carrier-locked versions as far as I know.
    10-07-2015 03:08 PM
    I thought the iPhone 6's 4.7" screen size was the perfect size, but I'm going to check out the 950 XL and see if that will be the phablet for me.
    Last edited by xandros9; 11-18-2015 at 01:58 PM. Reason: minor cleanup
    11-18-2015 11:09 AM
    I have a 1520. I have a 950 XL on pre-order with my local MS Store. But, having just bought an (Android) 5" HTC One A9 to try out, I find I missed having a phone that can actually fit easily in pockets ( that are likely designed with fruit phones in mind).

This has me leaning on getting a 950 instead when an unlocked version becomes available.
    11-18-2015 12:44 PM
43 12