What about the 5.2" screen size?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't help but notice that the Lumia 640 was 5" and the 640 XL was 5.7". I was pretty much expecting this to be the future trend for new Microsoft devices, at 5 and 5.7".

Now, we get specs stating that the Talkman will be 5.2", slightly larger, leaving no "smaller" version of this flagship.

What are your feelings on this? Should 5.2" be a minimum for a flagship level device? Or should people who want a 5" phone get more consideration?

I, for one, am able to handle a 4.5" phone with ease, but find it difficult to handle a 5" phone with one hand. If I were to go 5.2", I might as well go all the way to 5.7" as far as the size is concerned.

Is this going to be considered a budget flagship phablet? Or just a larger phone?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The 5.2" and 5.7" split surprised me. I'd love to hear their reasoning. If the bezels are reasonable (comparable to 930 or smaller), I'll expect find the 5.2" is still manageable, but probably the limit. But why such an odd size in the first place? I wonder if it's a manufacturing thing where those were the available sizes for that resolution. Honestly I would have been fine with a 5" 1080p screen in the smaller device and a 5.7" 1440p screen in the larger device.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The sizes surprised me as well. I would have preferred a smaller choice, 4.5" or 5". I'm not a fan of the larger phones, I like to be able to keep it in my pocket, or drive it with a single hand. I don't see choosing the larger of the two 'flagship' offerings, but it does seem like the smaller one will be missing a couple of features.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The size of 5" (930) / 4.5" (920) is the ceiling for me.

I used to want compact premium phones, now I just want them to stop growing.

MicrosoftMobile4me

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the 640 now, with the 5" screen. When I compare it to my old HTC 8X, with a 4.3" screen, It's about 1/4" taller and wider. When I look at the Lumia 950 renders, the screen looks to go all the way to the edge of the phone. If the screen is just larger (5.2") than my Lumia 640 (5") and the phone has the same overall dimensions as the Lumia 640, It's still just like having a 5" phone to me.

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
yeah this is FAIL.. I want 4.6-4.8". On 930 5" its sometime uncomfortable. But MS not do that, nooo they will add SW feature that will move all screen to bottom (and half screen will be unused).. Good one MS, really good..

For me this is fail. The could do 4.8" and "XL" with 5.8" and that will be good. Now theres choice between "large" and "more huge" phone..

(for me this is not about dimensions of phone, but about easy of use one hand... 920 vs 930 its really little diference in dimensions of phones but 4.5" display was for me better use)

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
yeah this is FAIL.. I want 4.6-4.8". On 930 5" its sometime uncomfortable. But MS not do that, nooo they will add SW feature that will move all screen to bottom (and half screen will be unused).. Good one MS, really good..

For me this is fail. The could do 4.8" and "XL" with 5.8" and that will be good. Now theres choice between "large" and "more huge" phone..

(for me this is not about dimensions of phone, but about easy of use one hand... 920 vs 930 its really little diference in dimensions of phones but 4.5" display was for me better use)
Maybe the"budget" phones will be in this size range?
Or was "business" the other? These flagships may not be, but the others may come in smaller sizes. Or they may not. But I don't see it as a fail.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I see 4.5'' being the new minimum for Lumias as the 4'' will be the new 3''; albeit not exclusively on windows phone handsets. Given 3'' handsets are still produced, they'll likely go the way of the Archos.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I had a Moto X with a 5.2" screen and felt that it was a good sized phone seeing as how the bezels weren't very big. Would I be happy with a 5" screen? Sure. Would I take a slightly larger screen in the same sized package if possible? Yep.

Compare the Moto X to the iPhone 6 and you'll see that the bezels make a huge difference. The Moto X has a 5.2" screen vs the 4.7" screen of the iPhone 6 with only a slight difference in overall footprint.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 930 and had a Nokia N8. So I went from ~4.5 to ~5.4. Big difference at first - now, I don't think I could use the N8 anymore.

I can't txt as easily with one hand, but definitely like the bigger screen for browsing. I think bigger phones are the way of the future.

A 5.7" does not seem that big anymore...

Maybe with stem cell technology we can grow bigger hands?

Mr. V

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I think for accessibility reasons we'll still get 4'' handsets. Seeing how small my Lumia 435 is, it's looking more-so like an accessibility/handicaps option... Shoot me if you must, but that's what I think.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind them offering smaller versions of flagships. I love my 1520, but I came across my old Palm Pre Plus the other day. I kind of missed it. 3.1" screen. Can't even tell it is in your pocket. :smile: However, in day to day use, I don't think I could ever go back to anything that small.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have no issue, that's probably the smallest size device I'd buy, ATM. I am surprised the 6" was dropped to 5.7", but people seem to think 6" is huge. Oh well.

I've owned 4.5", 4.7", 5.7" and 6" devices. I think 5.2-5.5" is my personal sweet spot, but I love the larger displays for media consumption and image viewing. I have no issue with my 5.7" Note 4 or my old 6" Lumia 1520 I had. As long as you except one handed use is mostly out. It's doable, but not securely.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm another who doesn't enjoy the increasing size of phones. I want the flagship features but a 4.5" screen in the smallest possible chassis is the largest I'd like to go. I have a 920 now and I just bought a cheap 532 to run Windows 10 Mobile. The 532 is too thick and the screen quality is poor but having that shorter and narrower phone, because of the 4" screen, is awesome. I actually stopped using my 920 for a few weeks and only came back because of the camera.

The reason for this is because a phone to me is a tool, not really a visual consumption device. Browsing the web, looking at photos, watching videos, even reading lots of, or long, emails are all things I'd prefer not to do on my phone. Firstly because doing those things on my phone usually requires adopting a posture that's bad for my neck, arms and/or eyes, secondly because the experience, even with a 6" phone, is still not as good as on a tablet/desktop PC/TV/etc. and thirdly because I find that a lot of the time when I do use my phone for those tasks I'm usually out and about (hence using my phone) and it's at the expense of experiencing something going on around me.

So yeah, I'm disappointed that the 950 will be 5.2" but I'm really looking forward to Windows 10 across all my devices so I'll likely still buy one.

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think alot of the large phablet's has to do with battery size/life. If you're going to have a 4.5-4.7" flagship with a top SoC at ~1080p, you're going to have bad battery life, in comparison to a phablet. You're running the same hardware with basically 1/3 less battery than a larger phablet.

Who would really buy phones with 2-3hrs screen on time and be happy about it? (My Note 4 averages 4.5hrs screen on time). A heavy user could kill that device well before lunch.

To me, its pretty obvious why sub 5" phones come with lower resolution displays and slower, more power efficient (snapdragon 400-415) SoC's.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786