Pricing the 950 in an Apple/Android market. Thoughts?

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
With programs like Next I don't see that the 500+ pricing will hurt, not many buy phones outright, even Apple recognizes how silly a 900$ phone is and will let you finance it.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Some like the design of the 950, some don't. I think most people can agree that it doesn't look expensive.
I think it may be an indication of how much it will cost. Purely speculating...

Another indication is the 930, which started at 600 USD. I highly doubt the 950 will cost much more than that, the specifications and the design doesn't make it more premium today than 930 was at launch.

Last edited:

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Honestly if MS really wants to make a real move into the iPhone and Galaxy phone market they got to get people to buy the Lumia 950 and undercutting their competition would be the absolute best way to do it.. I am most definitely in the market for a replacement for my Note 4 and have been purposely waiting for the Lumia 950 as hopefully its replacement but if MS prices it the same as the iPhone or Galaxy they probably will lose my sale, the iPhone and Galaxy are 2 well proven and established phone lines and until MS proves the 950 series is in the same ballpark with these phones they shouldn't expect to price their flagship in the same waters.. $400-$475 for the 950 and $550-$600 for the 950XL is where I think and hope they retail for.
A nice $$ discount for preordering would really be a great kick off also!!

No! Only WP now work with Continium in other Windows platforms like a PC! It now can operate like Apple does - a premium closed system that is not for everyone; only those who want it and are willing to pay the big bucks to for it! Big companies and heavy hitters in other words, will buy this if the dependent on the Windows platform.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Guess i quite nailed the price right :) And people who think the XL is expensive are just retards, compare the specs with Note 4, then compare the price again, and rethink.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Compare them with the new Nexus phones, both of which are cheaper for similar specs -- though there are trade-offs either way. The biggest one, though, for most customers will be app availability.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The biggest one, though, for most customers will be app availability.

I said this in another thread, but this is WP's Achilles Heel. The so-called app gap negates any other advantages WP may have, in my opinion. And, evidently in the opinion of 97.3% of the smartphone-carrying population as well. There are plenty of things I like better about WP, but until its ecosystem catches up, it's a no go for me.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Ive seen a UK online tech retailer has pre order price of ?450 set for the 950, that price includes VAT & maybe subject to change. FWIW I bought my 930 from the same retailer & that was ?490 on launch.

srome

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Its a slightly higher priced than I'd like to pay in the UK, I'd like to have seen it at ?350 to ?375, saying that I'll probably buy one but I wish they would have not put the speaker on the back of the phone.

Last edited:

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Wait about 3 or 4 months & the prices should drop & any early build quality issues that may surface shortly after launch should be sorted. My 930 is currently fine, I'm going to wait for the 950s replacement next year before upgrading.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Wait about 3 or 4 months & the prices should drop & any early build quality issues that may surface shortly after launch should be sorted. My 930 is currently fine, I'm going to wait for the 950s replacement next year before upgrading.

My plan is similar. At this point(of the things that I care about)there doesn't seem to be anything the 950(XL) can do that my 930 can't do(I don't care about Continuum or Windows Hello)

But if MS announces native wifi calling and stylus support I be kicking my 930 to the curb.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Same, same :) My l930 is still ncie, but i'd like to get something a bit bigger, and iris is a nice feature for me, also 60 fps seems better. or maybe i'll wait and see if the Surface phone does really come in 2016, then skip to that perhaps :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon