Replaceable glass?

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
After a bad experience with my daughter breaking the screen on her 830, and finding out that you can't replace the digitizer without replacing the LCD at the same time ($200 part), my first question about these new phones is going to be about the ease of glass replacement. Although I really like my 830 and have never broken the screen, I feel like the 830 design is ridiculous to not allow economical glass replacement.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Looks like you went to an expensive repair shop.

I just did a search, and found the replacement parts along with the tools to do the job for the Lumia 830 on Amazon.com for $17.99 with free shipping. Kind of makes you mad at the shop, eh? Of course, you need a bit of skill to do the job, but it's not that difficult. The service manual is available for download as a PDF where it gives pictures and instructions on replacing those parts.

You may want to look into a DIY job if it ever occurs again.

However, I always get a Tempered Glass Screen Protector for my phones. If the phone is dropped where the screen would break, the tempered glass will break/shatter, which can then be peeled off like a sheet of safety glass and it will protect the underlying screen from receiving any damage. Then you just buy a new Tempered Glass to replace the one that broke, and it's easy to install yourself. Feels like the original glass, usually with the oleophobic coating. Something to consider.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
rhapdog,

If you dig a little deeper you will find that the digitizer is not replaceable by itself. There are several threads on this in the 830 forum and I did tons of research before putting her 830 on the shelf and making her go back to her previous 920. I did not go to a repair shop, I am a DIY'er, and have replaced the digitizer on her previous 920 several times. I have all the special tools and have been through the process several times. The fact that you can do a quick search and find the part doesn't tell the whole story....

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately most phones these days aren't the most repair friendly.

As for the upcoming 950/XL we don't know, I imagine iFixit or someone might tear it down but some phones are a trainwreck (HTC One M7) and others not quite so bad. (I'm not sure)

As for the screen/glass unit, eBay leads me to think its a $100 part.
Also worth trying to find a defective part donor, maybe gordonfink has some input.

Thread moved to 830 section.
EDIT: OP wants it in the 950 section, so back it goes.

Last edited:

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I normally use etradesupply for screens. Last time I checked, earlier in the year, the digitizer/LCD combo part was around 180. It looks like the price has come down to about 125 since the last time I check so I may have to consider fixing the phone. Not sure about buying screens off eBay. There have been alot of issues with bad digitizers on 920s. I know from experience etradesupply stands by their products.

Anyway, my point was that digitizer replacement was pretty straightforward on the 920, but on the 830 they bonded the LCD to the glass in a way that it's really difficult for the average person to separate it without damaging the LCD.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, my point was that digitizer replacement was pretty straightforward on the 920, but on the 830 they bonded the LCD to the glass in a way that it's really difficult for the average person to separate it without damaging the LCD.

I think the days of replaceable outer glass are behind us. Nobody does that anymore - Apple, Samsung, MS, or anyone else. It is the rare phone these days that allows glass only replacements.

That said it does not stop people from selling digitizers, or people like the guy above thinking it's actually possible. It is possible with the right tools, but most of us are going to be able to do that.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to sound mean saying this, but if this is such a concern then why not get a protection/insurance on your device so you don't have to worry about it?

opusthecat

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to sound mean saying this, but if this is such a concern then why not get a protection/insurance on your device so you don't have to worry about it?

Insurance is a joke. ATT for example charges $7 a month plus $200 per incident deductible. Cost to replace broken screen? $200... So essentially you pay $7 per month for nothing. Found this out the hard way with broken 1520 screens.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Insurance is a joke. ATT for example charges $7 a month plus $200 per incident deductible. Cost to replace broken screen? $200... So essentially you pay $7 per month for nothing. Found this out the hard way with broken 1520 screens.
That's understandable. I always purchased the Best Buy plans and go through them. I think they do a similar scenario though.

Do they give you a new phone, replace the screen, or give you a refurb is what I'm wondering.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I will say it bugs me that the 640 has the same screen, same size as the 830, yet a replacement 640 screen costs 1/3 to 1/4 of an 830 screen.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I too HIGHLY doubt the glass will be replaceable. That is just not something they can do when there is a battle of thickness... It sucks... My sister broke her 1020 screen and it is over $100 to replace too.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I too HIGHLY doubt the glass will be replaceable. That is just not something they can do when there is a battle of thickness... It sucks... My sister broke her 1020 screen and it is over $100 to replace too.

This makes some of these phones hard to refurb. The cost of the screen assemblies approaches the value of the phone, even someone gave you the phone for free.

I wish they were all 920's (glass only replacements not too bad). Think of how that would help the average person, if they could fix their phone themselves, or not have to give an arm to have it done by someone else.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the last few posts... glad to see there are finally some that understand what I'm complaining about. Glass breaks, it's real simple, so why not design a phone so that it's not a big deal or a big expense to replace the glass.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I think most people understand where you are coming from, but it is just the nature of the beast. Manufacturers are racing to come out with thinner phones, and one way that is accomplished is by adhering the glass and the digitizer together to eliminate any gaps between them. I know on the 1020, you can replace just the glass, if you want to use a heat gun to melt the adhesive and hope you don't break the digitizer.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That's understandable. I always purchased the Best Buy plans and go through them. I think they do a similar scenario though.

Do they give you a new phone, replace the screen, or give you a refurb is what I'm wondering.

My ATT920 screen shattered in Q213. At the time my $7/m insurance required a $100, maybe $125, deductible and I received a brand new 920 delivered next day after a phone call, then sent the broken device back.

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Almost all modern smartphones have the lcd, digitizer & glass in one unit. (Touch-on-lens something similar) Thinner and easier to repair, with the downside that it's more expensive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12