• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
02-19-2017 09:23 AM
99 1234
tools
    No as I said, third party apps won't work on European 950 devices. fmradio for instance says device is not supported. It seems that the tuner is not even enabled by firmware.

My MVP friend states it's the OS which disables the radio on ALL 950. But I guess the difference between US and EU 950 is the firmware. As FM tuner is embedded on the 808 chipset, it's not a matter of RF bands (as for LTE etc.).

French (and maybe) 950 and XL are supposed to receive a new firmware tomorrow more or less (source MVP). Reboots will be fixed etc. but I hope that at least it enables the FM tuner, if not for the stock app, at least for third parties, like in the US.

Because if MS think FM tuner is good enough in the US (enabling third party apps), then it should be OK in the EU as well, FM radio is the same worldwide.
    12-13-2015 06:01 AM
    I have ATT 950, downloaded 6 different radio apps and none worked saying 'no radio on this device' or something similar. Tried another pair of earbuds, still no go. Reset my phone and downloaded one of the same fm radio apps again, and it worked! And sure enough hit volume button to bring up music controls on top of screen, tapped on the radio station and it opened the stock fm radio app. From there able to pin to start screen.

I dont get it MS built these phones, and they say no fm tuner, they built it! Just like the hours with ATT advanced tech support who finally 100% guaranteed, beyond a shadow of doubt, that no 950 was compatible with their visual voicemail. I'm glad neither of these companies are building aircraft.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    12-15-2015 12:02 AM
    Can you tell us exactly WHICH radio app finally worked on your device?
    12-15-2015 08:41 AM
    Just like the hours with ATT advanced tech support who finally 100% guaranteed, beyond a shadow of doubt, that no 950 was compatible with their visual voicemail.
    does that surprise you? most tech support is like talking to the wall.... and in some cases, a wall will yield better results :)

But on topic, the AT&T 950 does seem to have FM radio for sure.... just hidden for whatever reason.
    12-15-2015 10:44 AM

French (and maybe) 950 and XL are supposed to receive a new firmware tomorrow more or less (source MVP). Reboots will be fixed etc. but I hope that at least it enables the FM tuner, if not for the stock app, at least for third parties, like in the US.
    What is your source for this info?
    12-15-2015 03:45 PM
    A MVP giving information he's not supposed to disclose ^_^
    12-15-2015 03:49 PM
    After the reset, "fmRadio" by Garen Yndem was the first app I retried which then worked.
    12-15-2015 09:16 PM
    Has anyone managed to enable FM-radio on Lumia 950 in European version of the phone?
    12-21-2015 09:48 AM
    I don't think so.
    Anyone any confidence it will be enabled in an update?
    12-21-2015 03:09 PM
    I don't think so.
    Anyone any confidence it will be enabled in an update?
    I really miss fm radio. I didn't see that 950 didn't had it when I bought it.
    I really hope Microsoft will enable fm radio in a future firmware update. (Just like nokia did with the 920).

That or hope someone will hack the firmware and enable it.
    12-27-2015 05:24 AM
    You didn't see it didn't have FM radio because MS have amended the datasheet AFTER the product was on sale :(
    12-30-2015 02:09 PM
    It seems the later firmware for the 950 disables the FM capabilities altogether. None of the 3rd party apps now work. UK SIM free model...
    amcluesent likes this.
    12-30-2015 03:35 PM
    My European 950 bought from MicrosoftStore and shipped from the Netherlands came without radio.

I just downloaded the fmradio app, but when Ι launch it, freezes ....I guess no radio for us here in Europe then? ..

Same thing happening with Accuweather, it worked fine in my 925 but now freezes in the 950................

Hello MS !?!?!?...
    01-01-2016 05:45 AM
    Hmm on my 950, fmradio stops saying it doesn't support this device. And it's not a restoration issue: I've started from scratch on my new 950, without restoring any backup.
    I have verified this, the major issue is that you have to ENABLE that the radio should also work when screen is locked (this is what the app is asking you on first run). then it should work (but you need a cable headset to use it, the cable is the antenna).
    01-04-2016 03:58 AM
    ?? fmradio is authorised to run in background and of course, it says it doesn't support my device. Because FM tuner is disabled at OS level, I think. Is your device a RM-1118 or 1104 ?
    01-04-2016 03:31 PM
    I reinstalled FM Radio and I tried running it with the USB cable as I dont have a headset cable. It did ask me to run with the screen locked and I accepted, then it ran an advertisement (???). After that just a black screen, nothing. Could it be that it works only with a headset cable?
    01-08-2016 05:08 AM
    Of course you need a headset, which would act as antenna. Even the stock app will refuse to work without headset. Once headset is connected you can listen to the radio through the speaker, but headset is required as an antenna.
    arislgr likes this.
    01-08-2016 06:39 AM
    Got it, thanks mate !
    01-12-2016 11:06 AM
    Well probably all Lumia 950 from European distribution comes with FM radio built-in, but the problem is that it is disabled by default, so even third party applications cannot see it. Fortunately there is a solution - it requires PC with installed "Windows Phone SDK 8.1 Lite", "RootTool.xap" application and phone registry edit...
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ml#post3389138 (you don't need "Windows Phone SDK 8.0 Lite" or "Windows SDK for Windows 8.1", you only need "Windows Phone SDK 8.1 Lite")
    06-23-2016 01:43 PM
    No as I said, third party apps won't work on European 950 devices. fmradio for instance says device is not supported. It seems that the tuner is not even enabled by firmware.

My MVP friend states it's the OS which disables the radio on ALL 950. But I guess the difference between US and EU 950 is the firmware. As FM tuner is embedded on the 808 chipset, it's not a matter of RF bands (as for LTE etc.).

Because if MS think FM tuner is good enough in the US (enabling third party apps), then it should be OK in the EU as well, FM radio is the same worldwide.

Hey guys,

Figured this out just yet. I have an EU model Lumia 950 (Netherlands) and my FM also was disabled. I followed an instruction, but only with an addition it worked. I will outline the addition further on. Here is the instruction: http://techfaqs.net/smartphone/how-to-activate-radio-on-lumia-950/ (focus on method 1). In short: 1. Download Interop Tool app (http://m.windowscentral.com/interop-tools-windows-10-mobile). 2. Open app (via Extra in Configuration menu). 3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/FMRadio/OEM. Change string NotPresent to: '0'. 4. Reboot device and install third party app. I've installed FM Radio from Astute Dev.

If you have difficulty reaching the FMRadio folder by choosing Registry browser in Interop Tool, please select Registry editor first, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and type in the aforementioned path from Software to OEM, and fill in NotPresent as the desired string. Press Read and try again to reach this string via Registry browser. This should work now.

The addition I used to the method 1 is to change NotPresent string to 'dword:00000000' and not to 0 as stated in the method 1 instruction. I had replaced the dword string NotPresent by a simple string with the same name earlier on, thus had to add something to the variable to make Windows interpret it as a dword string again. If yours is a dword still (lookup with Registry browser), you could be good with simply changing the 1 into a 0.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Harry Niemeijer; 06-26-2016 at 06:34 PM.
    docsp1, BlackD0127, OnSr and 1 others like this.
    06-26-2016 09:34 AM
    Just made an account to thank you :) I can now freely listen to the radio on my Lumia 950, thanks friend
    Harry Niemeijer likes this.
    09-28-2016 01:48 PM
    Sorry for the thread bump. How can I find out where my new Lumia 950 is from? Australia? Europe? Does it even have the radio ability?
    I tried the steps above but came unstuck at step 2 - opening the app. I could only open it in my web browser (Edge, which wasn't available) or the Mega browser.
    Any help greatly appreciated as I use the radio on my existing 930 every day...thanks :)
    12-07-2016 02:49 AM
    Take off the back cover and note the RM number, then identify it HERE

I think that since AU update, you have to use new version of Interop Tool app with all Dependencies for it to work.
    HERE is the newest version of Interop Tools app. Uninstall old version before installing new one.
    Last edited by KefKef; 12-07-2016 at 06:04 AM.
    12-07-2016 05:38 AM
    Okay, it's a 059X5K0 RM-1104 VAR APAC AU OPTUS
    So would the app you mention work for me? Is it the same steps as outlined by Harry Niemeijer? Sorry for the newbie question...I'm not 100% sure on how to get this to work. I guess I'm just used to a radio working on the phone :(
    12-08-2016 01:16 AM
    It will work only if your RM version has FM radio built in, but disabled via OS/software. I only know that European versions have FM radio built in, and they can be enabled by explained procedure
    12-08-2016 09:47 AM
99 1234