Lumia 950 missing FM radio?

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You're right about that. I did what you mentioned and the native FM Radio app popped up. Then, if you tap the three dots in the lower right corner, it gives you the option of pinning it to the Start screen. I now have my old FM Radio app on my 950 but the program doesn't appear in the list of apps.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hmm on my 950, fmradio stops saying it doesn't support this device. And it's not a restoration issue: I've started from scratch on my new 950, without restoring any backup.

nig_nffc

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
In the UK just got the Lumia 950 from Carphonewarehouse unlocked.
When I download a FM radio app its says fm radio not supported on this device!!

Anyone in the UK have same problem.
This is a del breaker for me no FM radio and its going back.
I use it for listening to football and the match's (championship) are not broadcast over the internet.

So love phone so far but no FM no keep.

N

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I got intel from a MVP that MS have on purpose disabled the FM tuner on the 950 (tuner is on the 808 chip anyway) because of "quality and performance issues". For now we're supposed to use third party apps. But third parties don't seem to work on FR or EU 950.

MS have amended their data sheet to remove the tuner from the 950 page. They even have a stupid FAQ "does my 950 have a fm tuner ? No, not all Lumias have a fm tuner". What? ALL Lumias have a fm tuner.

the 550 seems tuner-less too.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the radio working with a 3rd party app on L950 ATT_US. Reception is as good as it ever was, tuner may have been the issue (yeah, half-baked). Do 3rd party apps work on unlocked versions of the FR and EU 950 variants?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
No as I said, third party apps won't work on European 950 devices. fmradio for instance says device is not supported. It seems that the tuner is not even enabled by firmware.

My MVP friend states it's the OS which disables the radio on ALL 950. But I guess the difference between US and EU 950 is the firmware. As FM tuner is embedded on the 808 chipset, it's not a matter of RF bands (as for LTE etc.).

French (and maybe) 950 and XL are supposed to receive a new firmware tomorrow more or less (source MVP). Reboots will be fixed etc. but I hope that at least it enables the FM tuner, if not for the stock app, at least for third parties, like in the US.

Because if MS think FM tuner is good enough in the US (enabling third party apps), then it should be OK in the EU as well, FM radio is the same worldwide.

rjl2001

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I have ATT 950, downloaded 6 different radio apps and none worked saying 'no radio on this device' or something similar. Tried another pair of earbuds, still no go. Reset my phone and downloaded one of the same fm radio apps again, and it worked! And sure enough hit volume button to bring up music controls on top of screen, tapped on the radio station and it opened the stock fm radio app. From there able to pin to start screen.

I dont get it MS built these phones, and they say no fm tuner, they built it! Just like the hours with ATT advanced tech support who finally 100% guaranteed, beyond a shadow of doubt, that no 950 was compatible with their visual voicemail. I'm glad neither of these companies are building aircraft.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Just like the hours with ATT advanced tech support who finally 100% guaranteed, beyond a shadow of doubt, that no 950 was compatible with their visual voicemail.

does that surprise you? most tech support is like talking to the wall.... and in some cases, a wall will yield better results :)

But on topic, the AT&T 950 does seem to have FM radio for sure.... just hidden for whatever reason.

Martin Zone

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
French (and maybe) 950 and XL are supposed to receive a new firmware tomorrow more or less (source MVP). Reboots will be fixed etc. but I hope that at least it enables the FM tuner, if not for the stock app, at least for third parties, like in the US.

What is your source for this info?

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
I don't think so.
Anyone any confidence it will be enabled in an update?

I really miss fm radio. I didn't see that 950 didn't had it when I bought it.
I really hope Microsoft will enable fm radio in a future firmware update. (Just like nokia did with the 920).

That or hope someone will hack the firmware and enable it.

J H4

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
It seems the later firmware for the 950 disables the FM capabilities altogether. None of the 3rd party apps now work. UK SIM free model...

arislgr

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My European 950 bought from MicrosoftStore and shipped from the Netherlands came without radio.

I just downloaded the fmradio app, but when Ι launch it, freezes ....I guess no radio for us here in Europe then? ..

Same thing happening with Accuweather, it worked fine in my 925 but now freezes in the 950................

Hello MS !?!?!?...

Mr_Daihatsu

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Hmm on my 950, fmradio stops saying it doesn't support this device. And it's not a restoration issue: I've started from scratch on my new 950, without restoring any backup.

I have verified this, the major issue is that you have to ENABLE that the radio should also work when screen is locked (this is what the app is asking you on first run). then it should work (but you need a cable headset to use it, the cable is the antenna).

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
?? fmradio is authorised to run in background and of course, it says it doesn't support my device. Because FM tuner is disabled at OS level, I think. Is your device a RM-1118 or 1104 ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb