CNet quotes MS official as saying ATT exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I just went over to CNet to see what other folks may be saying about the 950, and they quote a devices marketing person as saying the new Lumias will be ATT exclusive for now.

If you buy unlocked direct, I suppose that won't matter, but as for carrier availability, I guess that's it. AT&T does have a fine track record of support for Lumias after all.

Is this reliable info?

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Link: Microsoft's new Lumia phones are exclusive to AT&T in the US - CNET

Quote from article: ""It's the best distribution for this family of devices," said Tuula Rytila, corporate vice president of marketing for phones and new devices, in an interview."

While ATT may be the best US carrier for MS phones, limiting themselves isn't in the best interest for MS. If they want people to take these phones seriously, they have to make them available to as many people as possible.

bluscreened

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
HUGE mistake if the unlocked version doesn't work on Verizon. I'm not changing carriers pretty much ever. I sold my Galaxy S6 and I'm in the market for a new phone. A valid argument could be made for iPhone 6S, Nexus 5X or Lumia 950. In my eyes, Lumia is the best out of the three in terms of features and specs. If Microsoft doesn't make it available unlocked to all carrier they will lose me for the next several years. They NEED people like me.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest checking out the history of the carriers and their support of WP before moaning that any device is exclusive to ATT. Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint have all displayed horrible support for MS's mobile platform recently and while ATT isn't perfect they do have a track record of carrying the most devices and not retiring them after 6 months or only selling them online and pretending they don't exist if you go to their stores....

And PS - Verizon doesn't matter. They've had the Icon, HTC M8, Samsung Ativ SE and the needle for WP didn't move due to their deliberate refusal to actually sell the handsets. Passing on Verizon wont make any difference.

bluscreened

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint have all displayed horrible support for MS's mobile platform recently and while ATT isn't perfect they do have a track record of carrying the most devices

Which is EXACTLY why Microsoft needs to go the same route as Apple and Google. Sell unlocked, direct to consumer, update directly from Microsoft instead of carriers. I don't want to buy through carrier if I can help it.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
This is absolutely ridiculous if this is true! I no longer have any upgrade path on Verzion for my Lumia 928. I definitely am not switching over to the Lumia 735 and it's impractical for me to switch carriers. Even if I did switch carriers, how do I know the next phone won't go back to being a Verizon exclusive like the Icon was?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Which is EXACTLY why Microsoft needs to go the same route as Apple and Google. Sell unlocked, direct to consumer, update directly from Microsoft instead of carriers. I don't want to buy through carrier if I can help it.

Doesn't unlocked phones not matter on Verizon or Sprint? Most unlocked phones are GSM if I'm not mistaken and they wouldn't support CDMA on Verzion and Sprint's networks.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
HUGE mistake if the unlocked version doesn't work on Verizon. I'm not changing carriers pretty much ever. I sold my Galaxy S6 and I'm in the market for a new phone. A valid argument could be made for iPhone 6S, Nexus 5X or Lumia 950. In my eyes, Lumia is the best out of the three in terms of features and specs. If Microsoft doesn't make it available unlocked to all carrier they will lose me for the next several years. They NEED people like me.

Unlocked means GSM networks. We will need a version specifically stated it will work on Verizon. If it only comes out on ATT, I will call MS and scream and cuss. I find I hard to believe this will be an ATT exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss