Dont like the exclusivity with ATT

Jdalmau59

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I think is a mistake of having an exclusivity agreement with ATT....this company have never promoted WINDOWS PHONES enough....sometimes they dont even have it on display in the stores. This new phones should be available to any carrier.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty, it judging by the past it seems ATT was the only carrier which really cared to carry Windows Phones, even if it wasn't much. It didn't axe phones prematurely, but sure its updating sucks and whatnot. The others though...

gr82bak

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
In the age of Nexus, Moto X and Apple directly selling unlocked iPhones, why on earth does Microsoft need exclusivity with carriers? Even the optimists would agree that this is really the last chance WP has (at least in the US), and MS is blowing it by limiting distribution.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I think is a mistake of having an exclusivity agreement with ATT....this company have never promoted WINDOWS PHONES enough....sometimes they dont even have it on display in the stores. This new phones should be available to any carrier.

No, they haven't promoted it like a new iPhone or Samsung... but name one US carrier who has promoted it 1/10 of what AT&T has.

Verizon? They forced Nokia to give them special models. Not just US exclusives, but unique models to them, and then discontinued phones quite quickly and lagged on updates. Why should Microsoft bend over backwards to support a carrier that has bent over backwards NOT to support them.

Also, if you've noticed, it's only one model that's exclusive to AT&T and checking the radios on the devices, you'll see that it works with both Verizon (or maybe not, conflicting info about CDMA & WCDMA) and T-Mobile bands. Meaning that buying an unlocked device will give nearly everyone access to these devices.

Last edited:

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
In the age of Nexus, Moto X and Apple directly selling unlocked iPhones, why on earth does Microsoft need exclusivity with carriers? Even the optimists would agree that this is really the last chance WP has (at least in the US), and MS is blowing it by limiting distribution.

Um... it's Microsoft not directly selling these unlocked?

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Talked to the MS Store also... They told me the phone was unlocked and would work on Verizon but they couldn't make a carrier activate it on their system. He told me that he knew for sure the AT&T and T-Mobile were for sure participants but didn't know if Verizon would allow it. The phone has a 30 day return policy if someone lies to you at Verizon and you find out it won't be turned on.

I was concerned about the WCMDA specs as I thought that was 3G. Hope someone who knows much more than me comments. I've had it with all my Bluetooth issues on my HTC One for Windows. Verizon even gave up today.

MG...

SharkyNY

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Talked to the MS Store also... They told me the phone was unlocked and would work on Verizon but they couldn't make a carrier activate it on their system. He told me that he knew for sure the AT&T and T-Mobile were for sure participants but didn't know if Verizon would allow it. The phone has a 30 day return policy if someone lies to you at Verizon and you find out it won't be turned on.

I was concerned about the WCMDA specs as I thought that was 3G. Hope someone who knows much more than me comments. I've had it with all my Bluetooth issues on my HTC One for Windows. Verizon even gave up today.

MG...

He was probably mistaken. WCDMA is different from CDMA. They are incompatible and in order for it to work on Verizon (or Sprint for that matter) it would have to have CDMA bands. If you look on the store page and the webpage the specs do not list any CDMA bands on either phone.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
talked with ms store. new lumias will NOT work with verizon. they straight up told me that. soooo i begged them to escalate that and he said he would. we will see, but doubtful that anything will happen

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
What I don't understand is why you wouldn't sell it through Verizon. It seems like from what I've read these phones are getting some warm responses to be used as business phones. I know my previous company has a business contact with Verizon so aren't they just cutting off a large chunk of the people they are aiming to attract?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, I would like to see all carriers sell and market the 950 & 950XL BUT I for one will be buying the MS unlocked version, last time I had a AT&T Windows phone it pained me waiting for them to release updates, not to mention the crappy bloatware they preload that's uninstallable :)

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's a matter of MS not selling it though Verizon, but Verizon not wanting to sell MS.
Personally, after more than 20 years with Verizon, I'm probably going to switch over and defintely buy the phones at MS Store.

And yes on cutting off businesses. I work for Giant Corp and they have both AT&T (limited) and Verizon (for most folks) accounts available. They've been switching to Surface Pro slowly, and I keep telling the IT guys WP!WP!WP!, but they're still starstruck with iPhones and are unlikely to switch. Hoping W10 make a difference there.

walkabt

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked or not, my curiosity on other's experience on this issue - for those buying an unlocked phone from MS, do you think the firmware updates still come through on an unlocked phone that is connected to AT&T? My experience is that the cell provider locks the firmware updates going through its system. I have an unlocked phone, connected to AT&T with an AT&T SIM card in it and I don't have Denim... but the same model everywhere else has Denim. I had to do Preview for Developers to get the latest WP 8.1 software updates too.

I have no idea how the Windows 10 mobile updates will happen. Based on my experience with my current phone, I am concerned that it will be same with the new phones - if the phone is connected to AT&T's network you are still at their mercy for firmware updates (because Microsoft doesn't control the experience on their phones - the carrier still does), even if the phone is unlocked and bought from MS. Why buy an unlocked phone at a premium, if AT&T sells for less? I could buy the phone for full price from AT&T (when they start to discount they usually go down about $50 to $100 within a month on phones that don't sell), ask for the unlock code (so I could use on trips to Europe) and would have the same (lesser) experience as I do now but pay less.

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't think firmware updates will be as much of a problem as in past or as it is with Android. Hasn't Microsoft said with Windows 10 they will be more in charge of the updates?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786