11-18-2015 08:02 PM
30 12
tools
    I think is a mistake of having an exclusivity agreement with ATT....this company have never promoted WINDOWS PHONES enough....sometimes they dont even have it on display in the stores. This new phones should be available to any carrier.
    TheCudder likes this.
    10-06-2015 08:56 PM
    I know. I have never seen a company try so hard to NOT sell its products. /smh
    10-06-2015 09:34 PM
    In all honesty, it judging by the past it seems ATT was the only carrier which really cared to carry Windows Phones, even if it wasn't much. It didn't axe phones prematurely, but sure its updating sucks and whatnot. The others though...
    10-06-2015 09:39 PM
    In the age of Nexus, Moto X and Apple directly selling unlocked iPhones, why on earth does Microsoft need exclusivity with carriers? Even the optimists would agree that this is really the last chance WP has (at least in the US), and MS is blowing it by limiting distribution.
    CowardlyLions likes this.
    10-06-2015 09:46 PM
    I think is a mistake of having an exclusivity agreement with ATT....this company have never promoted WINDOWS PHONES enough....sometimes they dont even have it on display in the stores. This new phones should be available to any carrier.
    No, they haven't promoted it like a new iPhone or Samsung... but name one US carrier who has promoted it 1/10 of what AT&T has.

Verizon? They forced Nokia to give them special models. Not just US exclusives, but unique models to them, and then discontinued phones quite quickly and lagged on updates. Why should Microsoft bend over backwards to support a carrier that has bent over backwards NOT to support them.

Also, if you've noticed, it's only one model that's exclusive to AT&T and checking the radios on the devices, you'll see that it works with both Verizon (or maybe not, conflicting info about CDMA & WCDMA) and T-Mobile bands. Meaning that buying an unlocked device will give nearly everyone access to these devices.
    Last edited by tangledW; 10-06-2015 at 10:03 PM.
    10-06-2015 09:46 PM
    In the age of Nexus, Moto X and Apple directly selling unlocked iPhones, why on earth does Microsoft need exclusivity with carriers? Even the optimists would agree that this is really the last chance WP has (at least in the US), and MS is blowing it by limiting distribution.
    Um... it's Microsoft not directly selling these unlocked?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    10-06-2015 09:47 PM
    Um... it's Microsoft not directly selling these unlocked?
    Maybe, but I find it strange that MS Store online has info to alert for 950xl when it is available but nothing for 950...why is that?
    10-06-2015 11:12 PM
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ml#post3247841

I think this is messed up. If it will only come locked to ATT, it better come cheaper than 549.
    10-06-2015 11:17 PM
    I just was on chat with MS Store and was told 950 unlocked will be on the site.
    10-06-2015 11:28 PM
    capture.png
    libra89 and gordonfink like this.
    10-06-2015 11:31 PM
    Talked to the MS Store also... They told me the phone was unlocked and would work on Verizon but they couldn't make a carrier activate it on their system. He told me that he knew for sure the AT&T and T-Mobile were for sure participants but didn't know if Verizon would allow it. The phone has a 30 day return policy if someone lies to you at Verizon and you find out it won't be turned on.

I was concerned about the WCMDA specs as I thought that was 3G. Hope someone who knows much more than me comments. I've had it with all my Bluetooth issues on my HTC One for Windows. Verizon even gave up today.

MG...
    10-07-2015 12:05 AM
    Talked to the MS Store also... They told me the phone was unlocked and would work on Verizon but they couldn't make a carrier activate it on their system. He told me that he knew for sure the AT&T and T-Mobile were for sure participants but didn't know if Verizon would allow it. The phone has a 30 day return policy if someone lies to you at Verizon and you find out it won't be turned on.

I was concerned about the WCMDA specs as I thought that was 3G. Hope someone who knows much more than me comments. I've had it with all my Bluetooth issues on my HTC One for Windows. Verizon even gave up today.

MG...
    He was probably mistaken. WCDMA is different from CDMA. They are incompatible and in order for it to work on Verizon (or Sprint for that matter) it would have to have CDMA bands. If you look on the store page and the webpage the specs do not list any CDMA bands on either phone.
    10-07-2015 12:46 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	34 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	113761
    Good news. I have AT&T, but I'm not locking into a 2 year contract. If their version is substantially cheaper, I may get it, and unlock after a few months of service. If it's not substantially cheaper, I'd prefer to go direct from MS.
    10-07-2015 06:20 AM
    talked with ms store. new lumias will NOT work with verizon. they straight up told me that. soooo i begged them to escalate that and he said he would. we will see, but doubtful that anything will happen
    10-08-2015 03:24 PM
    What I don't understand is why you wouldn't sell it through Verizon. It seems like from what I've read these phones are getting some warm responses to be used as business phones. I know my previous company has a business contact with Verizon so aren't they just cutting off a large chunk of the people they are aiming to attract?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-08-2015 06:54 PM
    Agreed, I would like to see all carriers sell and market the 950 & 950XL BUT I for one will be buying the MS unlocked version, last time I had a AT&T Windows phone it pained me waiting for them to release updates, not to mention the crappy bloatware they preload that's uninstallable :)
    JohnStrk likes this.
    10-08-2015 10:34 PM
    I don't think it's a matter of MS not selling it though Verizon, but Verizon not wanting to sell MS.
    Personally, after more than 20 years with Verizon, I'm probably going to switch over and defintely buy the phones at MS Store.

And yes on cutting off businesses. I work for Giant Corp and they have both AT&T (limited) and Verizon (for most folks) accounts available. They've been switching to Surface Pro slowly, and I keep telling the IT guys WP!WP!WP!, but they're still starstruck with iPhones and are unlikely to switch. Hoping W10 make a difference there.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-09-2015 08:20 AM
    Unlocked or not, my curiosity on other's experience on this issue - for those buying an unlocked phone from MS, do you think the firmware updates still come through on an unlocked phone that is connected to AT&T? My experience is that the cell provider locks the firmware updates going through its system. I have an unlocked phone, connected to AT&T with an AT&T SIM card in it and I don't have Denim... but the same model everywhere else has Denim. I had to do Preview for Developers to get the latest WP 8.1 software updates too.

I have no idea how the Windows 10 mobile updates will happen. Based on my experience with my current phone, I am concerned that it will be same with the new phones - if the phone is connected to AT&T's network you are still at their mercy for firmware updates (because Microsoft doesn't control the experience on their phones - the carrier still does), even if the phone is unlocked and bought from MS. Why buy an unlocked phone at a premium, if AT&T sells for less? I could buy the phone for full price from AT&T (when they start to discount they usually go down about $50 to $100 within a month on phones that don't sell), ask for the unlock code (so I could use on trips to Europe) and would have the same (lesser) experience as I do now but pay less.
    10-09-2015 12:46 PM
    Microsoft bets on AT&T with latest Lumia, will also sell both new phones unlocked | The Verge

AT&T apparently chosen by MS as the only carrier in US, for now. T-Mobile (possibly others?) interested though. MS will also directly sell both unlocked.
    10-09-2015 02:31 PM
    I don't think firmware updates will be as much of a problem as in past or as it is with Android. Hasn't Microsoft said with Windows 10 they will be more in charge of the updates?
    10-09-2015 02:38 PM
    If you buy it unlocked from MS, you will get your updates directly from them, and ATT will have nothing to do with it.

I have an 830 (985) unlocked direct, and I got Denim well before ATT 830's have been able to. That is one of the main beauties of buying an unlocked phone direct.

What phone are you using? The sim card in it has nothing to do with it, unless it was originally from a carrier, then unlocked.

Unlocked or not, my curiosity on other's experience on this issue - for those buying an unlocked phone from MS, do you think the firmware updates still come through on an unlocked phone that is connected to AT&T? My experience is that the cell provider locks the firmware updates going through its system. I have an unlocked phone, connected to AT&T with an AT&T SIM card in it and I don't have Denim... but the same model everywhere else has Denim. I had to do Preview for Developers to get the latest WP 8.1 software updates too.

I have no idea how the Windows 10 mobile updates will happen. Based on my experience with my current phone, I am concerned that it will be same with the new phones - if the phone is connected to AT&T's network you are still at their mercy for firmware updates (because Microsoft doesn't control the experience on their phones - the carrier still does), even if the phone is unlocked and bought from MS. Why buy an unlocked phone at a premium, if AT&T sells for less? I could buy the phone for full price from AT&T (when they start to discount they usually go down about $50 to $100 within a month on phones that don't sell), ask for the unlock code (so I could use on trips to Europe) and would have the same (lesser) experience as I do now but pay less.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-09-2015 05:54 PM
    The answers each of us get may vary,

But, according to the not so friendly MS Store rep I talked with today in AZ, we are at the same mercy with AT&T for firmware updates, even on an unlocked phone - the firmware is what the carrier approves (except for Apple's iPhone). Software updates will come from Microsoft but EACH carrier who chooses to allow the phone will have to approve the firmware each time. Since I don't have Denim on my code unlocked Lumia 920 on AT&T, I don't expect to get it (or Windows 10 mobile now) and don't expect that process to change with the 950s and their firmware updates. Since I am happy with a 3 year old phone, I may wait until AFTER the first firmware release is available for the 950s (and how AT&T handles it) to see about buying a phone. If they stall, we'll get to see the "Hey ATT where is my firmware" threads again....

I've felt burned enough as a pioneer with MS on technology that they dump (WHS, Surface RT, Windows Phone 7, now Media Center) that I am going to watch on the sidelines this time.
    libra89 and 920Walker like this.
    10-09-2015 06:00 PM
    to gordonfink,

ATT Lumia 920, code unlocked after 2 years. Glad it worked for you on the unlocked 830 to get Denim. I am going to hold off and watch this time.
    10-09-2015 06:01 PM
    With respect, I think you're mistaken. Your 920 was not a direct purchase from MS - it was an ATT phone. Once an ATT phone, always an ATT phone, even if you get an unlock code for it. You could be using it for TMO, and you'll still be waiting for ATT to update it. The sim card has nothing to do with it.

On my 830, the carrier is listed as 000. I have a 930, and it's the same way. These phones are carrier independent - that is what the 000 means. You are not reliant on carrier updates - yours come directly from MS. Again, sim cards have nothing to do with it.

The guy you spoke with was correct for the ATT variant - once branded for ATT, it will forever more be an ATT phone, even if you get a code downstream that unlocks it for use on other carriers. He was incorrect if you buy an unlocked variant directly from MS. If it is an unlocked, carrier-independent version, then you are reliant on MS for updates.
    ashram and libra89 like this.
    10-09-2015 06:50 PM
    to Gordonfink.

First, thank you for opening with "I think you are mistaken." I probably am wrong, and hoping so. But I appreciate the courtesy that is too often replaced in forums with an adamant "you're wrong!" Thank you for your choice of words.

Everything you said was reasonable and appears correct to me (I validated as far as I could go, I am hoping you might be able to verify - see end of reply). I looked at my "about" section and it states the carrier is AT&T. It even has AT&T's information on where to get help. I pulled out the SIM, and rebooted (AT&T logo comes up first) and the same information in "About." I installed an European SIM that we got on our last trip and the same (booted up AT&T logo and same in "About"), so this phone is definitely locked to AT&T from the carrier side even though it is unlocked from the SIM side now. From what I can gather, I simply have a Nokia phone that was loaded with an underlying AT&T ROM (or their ROM was adjusted by AT&T), which is why we don't have Denim...

I looked for ways to further validate, before I consider a $700 investment (phone + tax) but it seems without a replacement Cyan ROM and flashing the replacement Cyan ROM with tools that are no longer available through Nokia (only on 3rd party sites I won't trust) I am out of luck in my ability to validate any further on my end to see if my phone would then upgrade to Denim.

Unfortunately, the rep I spoke with may also be mistaken. She said the same would happen whether I was on AT&T's 950 or a direct 950XL purchase from MS - I would be at their mercy. I'm personally gun shy about a purchase where I can't know until the first upgrade goes is available and updates or is delayed by AT&T whether my purchase would be a good choice. If you use AT&T with your unlocked 830 and have Denim, I would sincerely appreciate your help in putting my concerns to bed once and for all. Are you able to take a screenshot showing the AT&T network in the upper left and also the about screen showing Denim on your 830?
    10-09-2015 11:59 PM
30 12