10-10-2015 11:20 PM
28 12
tools
    I see the 950XL Unlocked currently up for pre-sale on the MS Store but where is the 950? I don't want a phablet ... I want the smaller 950 to use on T-Mobile... will that be possible or will ALL 950s be locked to AT&T?
    10-06-2015 10:03 PM
    It will be sold unlocked, what you're looking at is what the current carrier is. See, using the word 'Exclusive' needs a 'in some areas' because that can take a lot of people for a spin. Not just those paid to spread FUD :P
    10-06-2015 10:24 PM
    WC has an article up now saying the 950 will be sold exclusively by ATT in the US.

Now that is some kind of messed up. I can't believe MS won't sell an unlocked version.
    10-06-2015 11:12 PM
    Time to stop stressing.
    Microsoft indicates selling both phones in an unlocked version.
    libra89, xandros9 and vEEP pEEP like this.
    10-07-2015 12:43 AM
    I agree with Guytronic. Also, I believe that the "exclusive" to AT&T is most likely just saying no other carrier will have their version. Not a huge shock, though. Verizon never cared much, T-Mobile seemed more interested in theory, and Sprint is pretty much a non-starter (At least I can't remember anything Windows Phone with them). It appears to have been said in multiple spots to expect an unlocked variant through MS' store. Not to mention that the pre-orders were technically set for October 7th. We might see the ability to buy later.
    10-07-2015 05:13 AM
    It means that you'll only be able to get it on contract with ATT. Unlocked is still available for full retail price at MS.
    10-07-2015 05:35 AM
    It means that you'll only be able to get it on contract with ATT. Unlocked is still available for full retail price at MS.
    Then why does the MS store only show the 950XL on their site?
    Last edited by wariscoming; 10-07-2015 at 07:42 AM.
    10-07-2015 07:22 AM
    The phone is just not available as yet.. They only announced it yesterday. Be patient.
    10-07-2015 02:22 PM
    That is not proof of anything other than the 950 not being available for pre-order yet. If they had the 950 listed as an AT&T phone in their store, but not unlocked, I'd say you might be onto something. As it stands, the only Lumia's currently with an AT&T version are 635, 640, 640 XL, and 830.
    10-07-2015 03:37 PM
    AT&T had to have their version with their logo on the back cover, and probably gimped/bloated firmware in it as well that can't be unbranded. You buy AT&T version in AT&T store, don't come here complaining when it doesn't work right on some other carrier. :)
    10-07-2015 04:49 PM
    @ poit57 ... that logic is plausible, but improbable... given that Lumia 950 is up on MS' UK store.... Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 ? Unlocked - Microsoft Store United Kingdom Online Store ... and I think it is unlikely that they will release it for UK first and then later US.... something tells me there is going to be a AT&T version, though may not be exclusive... selling unlocked is likely not going to happen at release... :(
    10-07-2015 08:16 PM
    WC has a statement from MS that says the 950, to date, has been announced through ATT and unlocked through MS.

I think that's our answer.

For me, I'll see what ATT pricing is. If it's substantially cheaper, I'll buy it there. If it's 95% MS unlocked price, there is no reason to fool with ATT.
    10-07-2015 11:19 PM
    Sadly - with only AT&T selling the 950 and VZW not showing any interest in carrying these phones, or at least one of them, they're as good as dead - in the US at least.
    10-08-2015 08:08 AM
    Sadly - with only AT&T selling the 950 and VZW not showing any interest in carrying these phones, or at least one of them, they're as good as dead - in the US at least.
    You do know that MS is selling them?

As for VZ, I know a lot of you guys are fond of them, BUT - if you are going to sign onto service with one of the few carriers in the world using that technology, well, you should expect your choices to be limited.
    10-08-2015 01:28 PM
    You do know that MS is selling them?

As for VZ, I know a lot of you guys are fond of them, BUT - if you are going to sign onto service with one of the few carriers in the world using that technology, well, you should expect your choices to be limited.
    The device options on Verizon are only limited if a customer wants Windows Phone or BlackBerry. Verizon offers iPhones and all of the flagship devices from Android OEMs (Samsung, LG, HTC).
    tgp and Guytronic like this.
    10-08-2015 01:38 PM
    Here is a slight clarification but it confirms what I have been saying. Initially the 950 will be on ATT only and then available unlocked through MSFT directly.
    Just be patient guys. I would actually at this point wait a tad bit more and get the darn Surface phone in Q1 2016:-)
    Microsoft clarifies the Lumia 950/XL carrier situation
    Guytronic likes this.
    10-08-2015 06:59 PM
    AT&T had to have their version with their logo on the back cover, and probably gimped/bloated firmware in it as well that can't be unbranded. You buy AT&T version in AT&T store, don't come here complaining when it doesn't work right on some other carrier. :)
    Once off contract it can be unlocked and used with anyone.
    10-08-2015 07:34 PM
    I wouldn't trust any of the US carriers even if I was paid a zillion in gold.
    You would be wise to do the same as there have been countless instances of carrier dodgyness with phones and this is not new either. For instance the FM radio in certain TP2s were locked in the firmware, FFC removed, button layout changed etc.

People are better of buying from Microsoft directly in the US and not to mention they will get better customer service as opposed trying to pry phones out off rep's hands - who is keen to sell what he or she wants, not what the customer wants.
    10-08-2015 09:04 PM
    The device options on Verizon are only limited if a customer wants Windows Phone or BlackBerry. Verizon offers iPhones and all of the flagship devices from Android OEMs (Samsung, LG, HTC).
    Yes, this problem is unique to those who use Windows Phone and BlackBerry. It is not applicable for 97% of smartphone users.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    10-08-2015 09:30 PM
    Microsoft bets on AT&T with latest Lumia, will also sell both new phones unlocked | The Verge

AT&T apparently chosen by MS as the only carrier in US, for now. T-Mobile (and possibly other carriers?) still interested. MS will also directly sell both unlocked.
    10-09-2015 02:33 PM
    The Lumia 950 is on the Microsoft US website now:

http://tinyurl.com/oy34vgq
    10-09-2015 04:31 PM
    I wouldn't trust any of the US carriers even if I was paid a zillion in gold.
    You would be wise to do the same as there have been countless instances of carrier dodgyness with phones and this is not new either. For instance the FM radio in certain TP2s were locked in the firmware, FFC removed, button layout changed etc.

People are better of buying from Microsoft directly in the US and not to mention they will get better customer service as opposed trying to pry phones out off rep's hands - who is keen to sell what he or she wants, not what the customer wants.
    What are you babbling about? All I said was that you could unlock it if you were off contract, and it will work on other carriers, where you were claiming it wouldn't. I didn't say which way would be best, as that's different for everyone.
    10-09-2015 05:14 PM
    What are you babbling about? All I said was that you could unlock it if you were off contract, and it will work on other carriers, where you were claiming it wouldn't. I didn't say which way would be best, as that's different for everyone.
    I'm not claiming it won't, read what I said again, I was talking about the trusting the US carriers specifically.

Furthermore you said
    That is not correct at all, the phones have no CDMA bands hence they will not work with Sprint or Verizon ergo the phones can not be used with anyone once unlocked.
    a5cent likes this.
    10-10-2015 04:51 AM
    Here is a slight clarification but it confirms what I have been saying. Initially the 950 will be on ATT only and then available unlocked through MSFT directly.
    Just be patient guys. I would actually at this point wait a tad bit more and get the darn Surface phone in Q1 2016:-)
    Microsoft clarifies the Lumia 950/XL carrier situation
    Wow if that is true, it sucks. I assumed the unlocked would be released at same time as AT&T. Talk about screwing yourself this holiday season. As far as surface phone, everything I have read is it is for enterprise, so why would I want that. Even Dan said probably would have less of a camera, etc.
    10-10-2015 01:55 PM
    I'm not claiming it won't, read what I said again, I was talking about the trusting the US carriers specifically.

Furthermore you said

That is not correct at all, the phones have no CDMA bands hence they will not work with Sprint or Verizon ergo the phones can not be used with anyone once unlocked.

Why do you need to trust the carriers? They MUST unlock your phone if you're off contract and you request it. The FCC forces them to do so.

And yes, I didn't know the phone was missing the hardware at the time I made that post. So Verizon and Sprint are SOL for these phones. That's what people get for being their customers, who Verizon never cared about anyway.
    10-10-2015 02:25 PM
28 12