Corning Gorilla Glass 3 & 4 - 950 and 950XL respectively

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the product comparison page on Microsoft's site, under the "design" section, it appears that the Lumia 950 will have Gorilla Glass 3, whereas the larger 950XL will have Gorilla Glass 4.

Here's a snip from the comparison page with the 950XL on the left, and the 950 on the right:
950-950XLcompare.JPG
Search results for Lumia 950 XL, Lumia 950 - Microsoft - USA

I'm not sure if this is a mistake or typo on their site, or if there's a reason why they decided to use the two different glass types. Is there really a big difference between 3 and 4? Maybe they felt the larger screen size of the 950XL called for added strength? Was it a cost cutting measure by only using the newer GG4 on the larger phones? Are the smaller 950 phones going to be less durable?

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS |

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 950 - Gorilla Glass 3 or 4???? LTE Band 41???

Soo I was checking out the Microsoft Online store to see maybe there were stocking dual sims for us in the UK. Nothing yet, however I noticed this little zinger...

The tech specs on the phones page shows Gorilla Glass 3
950 Gorilla Glass 3 p1.PNG

The tech specs on the store listing shows Gorilla Glass 4
Gorilla Glass 3 p2.PNG

What's even more eye brow raising is that the mention of Band 41 (albeit partial) support on the store listing yet on the tech specs for the phone page. There is no mention of that :confused:.

Store Listing:
TDD-LTE Partial Band 41.PNG

Specification page:
950 Bands.PNG

NB: You might have to click on the images to zoom in.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 - Gorilla Glass 3 or 4???? LTE Band 41???

Well it's interesting to say the least, also both the 950 single sim and dual sim along with the XL dual sim list band 17 support. Whereas the single sim XL does not.

The plot thickens!

CeLL4one

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

hummm...

If you go to the Canadian Microsoft Store they have the Gorilla Glass 4 on the 950.
www microsoftstore com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-950--Unlocked/productID.326606300

and if you go to Microsoft/mobile/phone site they listed it with GG 3.
www microsoft com/en/mobile/phone/lumia950/specifications/

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I noticed the difference in glass as well. I thought it was an interesting difference between the two phones that had not yet been discussed, and started a thread on it here
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...gorilla-glass-3-4-950-950xl-respectively.html

Our posts on this topic will likely get merged.

Edit: not sure about band 41 :/

Looks like they did indeed get merged lol, I went scouting for these phones at the Westfield Shopping Centre (Stratford) one the largest around these parts and nothing yet sadly...

Not to mention to my dismay as currys, carphone warehouse, EE, Three and O2 {did not check John Lewis as was pressed for time} actually have less phones on display with the bulk of the space being taken up by desks and are actually using dummy plastic phones :grincry:... (not just isolated to Windows Phones now). I was only get an answer out a EE store rep in regards to availability - who said around the end of the month. The other reps were as usual clueless.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It all still translates to the thickness. Same strength. Smaller size.

I have to disagree sir, I looked into Gorilla Glass 4 when it was released and did all the research. It offers approximately 25% better resistance to drops (face down from a 1m height) then Gorilla Glass 3 while being thinner. They're mostly the same, yet Glass 4 is lighter, thinner, and has more shock resistance.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Theoretically, couldn't a manufacturer reduce the thickness of a GG4 screen such that the strength was the same as GG3? In other words, couldn't the improved strength be used 100% for improved strength (if the thickness was the same as GG3), 100% for weight reduction, and anything in between?

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm still not sure why this especially matters - unless you carry the phone with your keys and are prone to dropping it?

I make a point of getting a case on day 1 (or near as damnit) for any new phone... and as such my 930 still looks like new.
I can't see the logic in getting a bigger phone purely because it has "better" glass, from all I've read so far, I think the XL is going to be too big for me, so I'll stick with the 950 no matter what thickness the glass is. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99