What is Microsoft's true intention with the 950?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Do they expect it to sell or should we believe the horsecrap that they just want to make a reference device for other OEMs to take note of?

I'm truly confused

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It's not meant to compete with Samsung or Apple or even LG and HTC. It's meant for Windows Phone enthusiasts and to allow people who were interested in Windows Phones but didn't see a flagship to try it out. It's a placeholder until Microsoft gets Panay and the Surface team to start designing phones with Microsoft's iconic hardware design language.
It's also a launch device for Windows 10 Mobile and gives Microsoft a baseline to demo all of their software from.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Seems pretty clear. They have stated their position regarding the smartphone market that they have no intention of pursuing smartphones as a standalone business and instead see them as a part of their Windows 10 ecosystem story. Marketshare is not their goal rather putting devices out there for consumers who want them and to push to enterprise. Their minimal push to US carriers seems to bear this out.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Seems pretty clear. They have stated their position regarding the smartphone market that they have no intention of pursuing smartphones as a standalone business and instead see them as a part of their Windows 10 ecosystem story. Marketshare is not their goal rather putting devices out there for consumers who want them and to push to enterprise. Their minimal push to US carriers seems to bear this out.

So how do they define the success of these new devices?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

So we're saying windows phones are nothing more than hobbyists devices now essentially?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So how do they define the success of these new devices?

How many devices are sold is completely irrelevant. The main criteria will be (certainly more but these we can at least somewhat gauge ourselves):

1)
How many large corporations adopt these devices as part of an effort to reduce their IT management and development costs. They will also be pitched as being particularly secure. The potential reduction of development costs comes about via their engineering teams only having to develop a single application which can simultaneously be used both by their office workers and their mobile workforce.

2)
How many companies provide universal apps that also include a UI configuration for smartphone sized devices (like Facebook is working on).

3)
Do the existing WP enthusiasts who have long been in search of a high-end device to upgrade to (many of us basically), like them and buy them.

So we're saying windows phones are nothing more than hobbyists devices now essentially?

The exact opposite actually. These devices (not these specifically, but W10M in general) are now primarily targeting the enterprise space. MS obviously hopes that those consumers who like WP/WM will stick around though. Astoria and Islandwood are intended to make that easier for consumers.

As I've said in some other places, MS will no longer be chasing consumer market share, in the sense that MS won't be running notable marketing compaigns to convince consumers to leave their Android and iOS phones behind. The devices just either sell themselves, or they don't.

That could change again sometime in the future, if and when the UWP catches on...

Last edited:

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
When will we see some kind of "marketing" aimed at the enterprise space then? There going to be some kind of sales pitch coming from CDW, Insight, etc? I don't see it yet...

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
It seems to me that as an enterprise phone these phones are perfect. They will get business done. The company can give the phones out to valuable employees and for the very reason they're not popular with the masses, lack of games, apps, etc. they are a perfect phone for company use. As an owner I'd sure be happier if I knew employees didn't want to take the company phone with them at night. I don't play games and to be honest my Surface 2 more than runs my businesses just fine if I'm out of town. I still keep an Apple IPhone 6 around but my business phone is my HTC One for Windows.

I don't think you'll be able to put a price on it if I can just plug a monitor (probably one of my LCD TV's) along with a keyboard and mouse with Continuum when I go to the camper and I can do my bids, check my bank account online, etc. Maybe I won't ever be able to play games that matter on the phone but businesswise it'll be a rock. And if you think it's too late for anything else to come about look no further then the Blackberry and what it used to be before it lost its crown. Just my take...

MG

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
When will we see some kind of "marketing" aimed at the enterprise space then? There going to be some kind of sales pitch coming from CDW, Insight, etc? I don't see it yet...

MS doesn't market to the enterprise in the same way they and other companies market to consumers.

MS already has consultants, developer evangelists and key account managers that are in direct contact with or embedded within the large corporations MS is targeting. Those are the people that will be carrying the W10M message to company CTOs and other executives in high places. You can't sell a mobile OS and the complicated ways in which they integrate into or benefit corporations over CDW or Insight. They would be nothing but a waste of MS' marketing budget.

You might say these devices won't really be marketed to the enterprise either. They will just be pitched as potential solutions to specific development/deployment/cost problems MS' larger customers may already be looking to solve. It's marketing only in the sense that cross-selling is marketing.

Last edited:

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
At the level Windows Phones sell at I'm not sure they make money on these phones. Reference previous earning reports.

Rather say, "To advance the platform."

Yes, exactly. "To Make money" seems inaccurate given that Windows Phones are more of a cost center for them.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's not to say the money won't ever come. It hasn't in a long time (probably since Windows Mobile + PPC days). However, I don't think these two devices are going to turn the corner. Hopefully when Enterprise buys in with the next gen Intel chipped continuum units.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I think their intentions with the 950 are to stay in the mobile space in order to keep their seat warm for now. There's no sense in rushing an unfinished product to market (surface phone) when the most important aspect of their philosophy isn't ready for prime-time yet (continuity).

I'm with all those saying that next year, when Win10 has matured a bit and we start seeing continuity being implemented across all devices running Win10, including the IOT, we'll see them level their guns for real against the mobile market and release a device that truly aims to take on the big boys. I think next fall we'll see MS attempt to do to the cellphone market what they did to the tablet/laptop market this fall.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So much speculation here. These phones are meant to compete with Samsung, HTC and others. Windows 10 brings in a lot of new features and improvements with new hardware that matches their competitors. I don't think microsoft expects to sell 10s of millions but saying these are nothing more than hobbyist items and saying they are not meant to compete is not only false but shortsighted in my opinion.

These aren't the 1020 which was a. Enthusiast item. These are amazing flagships.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I think they're serious upgrades from previous offerings, but not the complete re-imagining of the product like everyone was kind of expecting with the rumored 'surface phone'. I didn't mean to insinuate in my previous post that MS was being lazy with these or anything, just that I thought these phones were intended to refresh their product line and keep their Lumia hardware competitive while they work on re-imagining Windows Phone for the next cycle.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
My guess is that these designs were probably lying in the bottom of a drawer marked 2012 Nokia design dept, only to fall foul of the lack of impending doom predicted by the Myans!! Rediscovered in 2015, tarted up a bit and used as a stop gap until MSFT employ designers over the age of 5!! ;) Oh, and marketing agents who don't give you a blank look when you ask "is that a windows phone??". Ahh, sarcasm. Lowest form of wit, highest form of intelligence. Lol

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
So much speculation here. These phones are meant to compete with Samsung, HTC and others. Windows 10 brings in a lot of new features and improvements with new hardware that matches their competitors. I don't think microsoft expects to sell 10s of millions but saying these are nothing more than hobbyist items and saying they are not meant to compete is not only false but shortsighted in my opinion.

These aren't the 1020 which was a. Enthusiast item. These are amazing flagships.

I quite like the 'niche' devices. I absolutely love my 1320. Old, dual core, and still kicks the butt of an all singing, all dancing android!! Just so smooth.... I also have a cheap 435. Cracking little device for my autistic son. Been dropped, kicked and sat on. No breaks, and for what it is, I'm quite impressed, especially when playing Asphalt 8 on it!!

I'm busy saving for a 950 xl. I would love to see these devices take off, but when you have the backing of some of the biggest technology companies, and the nosiest / tax avoiding company, you are in for an *** whipping!
As I said, along with many of the guys and gals on here, enthusiast devices for those who don't follow the heard and get violated for the latest fashion item that Samsung or crapple have rehashed from the left overs from the previous device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)