Are you planning to get a 950?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Neither. If I do get another Lumia it will either be an unlocked 925, 930 or a 1520. Not impressed with either of the flagships or Windows 10 Mobile in it's current state.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I checked the XL at my local MS store and I loved it so I pre ordered the black one. I'm going to give my 1520 to my younger bro.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Settled on the 950 as the rumoured surface pen support is what tipped me to get the XL. However since that's not happening, going for the 950 Dual Sim.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm 99% sure I'm in, sure wish AT&T would carry both (XL too) so I could check out both but honestly my present Note 4 just feels a bit too big and the 5.2" may be just right... I wonder when AT&T stores will display the 950, no MS Stores in my area :(

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
No, I will be waiting to see if HTC or the other manufacturers come out with a Windows 10 device, I like the spec's on the new Lumia's, but could they have made them anymore boring and plain looking.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah. I still need to pick up each one and feel it, but I have a feeling the XL is going to be too big for my liking, so 950 it is. I'm really excited, and I can't wait to head to the MS store and check them out.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
No; I'll not buy either until a suitable solution is available for Verizon. I blew up my family plan on Verizon to go with the 1520 on AT&T. That lasted about 3 months (AT&T and Straight Talk) before I bought the ICON and went back to Verizon. The ICON is just 3 months old and could last me a couple of years if necessary.

Now, to address the Windows ECO system for a moment. Doesn't each part of the ECO system depend on the device before it and after it in the circle of a complete ECO system? At this point I have a laptop, tablet, Cloud and Windows Phone. Obviously the weak link in this circle is my ICON (older hardware and limited future upgrades). The 950 and the 950 XL is the next obvious step to make the circle better.

I'm not a power user; more a hobbist that loves my toys. If other OEM's bring a WP to the market that is comparable to or better than 950's then I have to hope they are available for Verizon.

Watching the MS presentation live brought up something I have heard called for many years: NIH - Not invented here. It's obvious the 950's are left over from Nokia and pre New Regime. Maybe MS should just have not introduced this stop gap phone and waited until the new team came out with "their" product. Just a thought.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to get the 950xl. I'll wait for reviews just to make sure there's no glaring hardware issues or heating issues. This is the last of the Lumia line. We shouldn't expect a surface phone for another year at least. Panos is a design guru and it took him 18 months to create the Surface book. He will not rush the next phone as this will be the official phone to be added to the surface line. So don't expect to wait and get another one any time soon.

I do need a bigger screen on my phone and I am still a fan of the windows OS regardless of the app gap. I am lucky enough not to be as App crazy as most people so to me bigger screen and running on my favourite interface is the only thing that matters. I'd also be curious what kind of cases come out to style the phone in a more individual manner of taste.

This picture just shows how you can transform these phones quite wildly because of the removable cover.

1444488125473.jpg

Microsoft is not rushing their vision no matter how much people may complain. They want to do it right this time. The competitors have the advantage already, and change doesn't happen over night. Their vision will come slowly, it may anger fans, it may surprise fans, but in the end they will do what they think is best. I've seen what Satya is capable of and that gets me really excited. I was wary under the helm of Steve. Any choices MS makes are not to anger people but really to do what's best and make a difference. They are building for the future not for the present. And you know what, I don't need to be angry if MS doesn't do things right when that time comes. There are plenty of choices out there. During this time Google and Apple will also be transforming. You have no contractual obligation to any company. And if you use MS products they are available everywhere. So I'll definitely stick with MS for now and see where they are headed.

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Will have to switch from Verizon to AT&T, not happy about that but will be happy with the phone! My husband has been through two 928s and mine is hanging in but aging.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
No; I'll not buy either until a suitable solution is available for Verizon. I blew up my family plan on Verizon to go with the 1520 on AT&T. That lasted about 3 months (AT&T and Straight Talk) before I bought the ICON and went back to Verizon. The ICON is just 3 months old and could last me a couple of years if necessary.

Now, to address the Windows ECO system for a moment. Doesn't each part of the ECO system depend on the device before it and after it in the circle of a complete ECO system? At this point I have a laptop, tablet, Cloud and Windows Phone. Obviously the weak link in this circle is my ICON (older hardware and limited future upgrades). The 950 and the 950 XL is the next obvious step to make the circle better.

I'm not a power user; more a hobbist that loves my toys. If other OEM's bring a WP to the market that is comparable to or better than 950's then I have to hope they are available for Verizon.

Watching the MS presentation live brought up something I have heard called for many years: NIH - Not invented here. It's obvious the 950's are left over from Nokia and pre New Regime. Maybe MS should just have not introduced this stop gap phone and waited until the new team came out with "their" product. Just a thought.

The fans have been angry about not having a premium spec'd phone for the lumia line. So that's what they did. They gave them exactly what they asked for. Making people wait even longer would not be a smart move. Panos is very serious about design, it took him 18 months to create the surface book. You would not get one this year if that was the case.

It's possible firmware/software updates could provide the solution to the Verizon issue. I think though Verizon is odd that they need their own branded phones and won't accept any phone onto their network. There is a rumor that MS is working to get a special one for Verizon just like the Icon. But it's just a rumor so don't hold me to it.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
visited the MS store here in Calgary, Canada to check them out and all I can say is these are very nice devices. they may not look premium from the pics and renders but they are indeed nice phones. If you want to spruce them up a bit you can change the cover and make it what you want. I was told by the rep that both the 950 and 950XL will be dual sim sold in Canada.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I have really thought this through for me. I really like these phones and the leather backcovers are awesome. But, if I get one I will have to pay $700 for it unlocked from MS and not on contract from ATT. Let's face it, we hate contracts but it helps with the initial cost of the phone. So that is one huge issue for me. Another issue is the lack of banking apps and credit card apps. If I am going to spend 700 on a phone, I want to have the apps I want and need on it. Also, mobile payments. I heard mobile payments are coming but will it be here with the initial launch or an update weeks or months later. Unfortunately MS is quiet on this. For ME, these are big deals. So I'll stick with my 640 for a few more months then get a 640xl. I want to see what Panos is going to do with the phone division for next years phone release. Who knows, my issues could be solved in the next three months

Implement

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
As soon as AT&T starts accepting 950 purchases, I am going to be an owner.

I handled the 950XL at a local Microsoft Store, I recommend you go and do the same if you are interested in the 950/950XL.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I was surprised to find that the 950XL is the exact same width and just about 1/2 inch longer but a lot thinner and lighter, than my 1020 inside its otterbox... that means it fits in my pocket just fine. XL for me. I may still go ahead and preorder, but I am trying to wait to see if there are any deals like a bundling of the dock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb