Are you planning to get a 950?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I think northeimer is referring to SD cards? ... not SIM:wink:
I know that's what he said but assumed it was a typo. Any rep should know they all support microSD. The rep was likely clueing him in that he would need a different size SIM than the Micro his 920 uses.

And if anyone is really worried, the FCC submission for the dual SIMs are just a statement saying the only difference is an additional SIM slot.

northeimer

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys. But that rep clearly pointed out that the dual SIM model doesn't support microSD cards. Or the way he said it, 'it's not possible to use a memory card with this model if you are using 2 SIM cards.' I think this is just absurd. Because they would have included this in the specs. But I did have doubts because maybe the extra space for the microSD card will be replaced by SIM slot #2. I have yet to receive a response from that site.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys. But that rep clearly pointed out that the dual SIM model doesn't support microSD cards. Or the way he said it, 'it's not possible to use a memory card with this model if you are using 2 SIM cards.' I think this is just absurd. Because they would have included this in the specs. But I did have doubts because maybe the extra space for the microSD card will be replaced by SIM slot #2. I have yet to receive a response from that site.
As I said. The dual SIM does have a Micro-SD slot unless there is some secret version of the phone which is completely contrary to what MS is trying to do which is to have the FEWEST variations of a phone model. In the 950XL, the first SIM and SD slot are at the bottom. The 2nd SIM is at the top. and there doesn't appear to be any shortage of space for any of those if you shrunk the XL by 1/2 inch diagonally.

So don't worry. But don't ask that same rep any other questions. LoL

Here is a link to buy the international unlocked 950 dual SIM and it lists Micro-SD: Microsoft Lumia 950 RM-1118 32GB Dual-SIM Smartphone A00026803

northeimer

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys! By the way, I just looked at the Norwegian MS Store site and it seems they are also offering the Display Dock for free to those who pre-ordered any of the two units. Although they weren't clear as to how I can avail of the dock because they sell the phones through their partners (3 here in Norway). And they said the claim code for getting the dock will have to be typed in the MS Store. Weird.

Update: Apparently all I have to do is go to the Lumia Offers app on the 950/950XL and follow the instructions from there. :) Great value for the money. Glad Microsoft is showing some love to the fans who held out this long. :)

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I was all set to purchase one. Unfortunately it's not coming to T-MO. I'll wait for the next one.
I'm on T-Mobile and am getting an unlocked XL. Would do that even if T-Mobile had their own XL. I don't want to put up with delayed or denied updates or hassles selling it or switching carriers?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the way he said it, 'it's not possible to use a memory card with this model if you are using 2 SIM cards.'

Yep... EVERYONE knows that a SIM slot and an SD slot are the same so the extra slot can only do one thing at a time. Makes perfect sense to me.

I'd have tried to sell that rep a nice, barely used bridge I own in Brooklyn.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest.

I keep cashing in points with Bing Rewards to try and win a $500 Microsoft Store Gift Card. If I win I'll put up the extra cash and get a Factory Unlocked 950. Otherwise I believe my 1520 is still groovy and I can wait on the rumored Intel Chip models...

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Looks like I will be getting the 950 when it comes out. Don't have $650 to drop on a phone for the XL, even though that's the phone I would prefer. I will be ordering through ATT next and seeing as how the 950 is retailed at $550, I don't expect the monthly payment to be as high as my girlfriend's LG V10 payment ($700 retail).

I'm really excited because this is my first windows phone and I cannot wait. I use my desktop a lot and so a familiar experience is going to be nice. I'm currently using an HTC One M8 and even though it's a great phone, I am ready for a change.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I will be getting the 950 when it comes out. Don't have $650 to drop on a phone for the XL, even though that's the phone I would prefer. I will be ordering through ATT next and seeing as how the 950 is retailed at $550, I don't expect the monthly payment to be as high as my girlfriend's LG V10 payment ($700 retail).
If you can hold out another month and celebrate Christmas, just tell your GF you want a 950XL. :)

Last edited:

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
If you can hold out another month and celebrate Christmas, just tell your GF you want a 950XL.

Thought about it, but if I get the 950 through Next, then I can get something else for Christmas. I've got my eye on the HP Envy 32" 1440p monitor to replace my HP 27" 1080p. 950 with a 5.2" 1440p screen AND a 32" 1440p monitor for Fallout 4? Yes please. 950xl with a 5.7" 1440p only? Nah, not worth the extra 1/2" screen size imo.

I'll be content with the 950 until a better windows phone comes around next year or 2017. After all, I'm using an M8 with a 5" screen, so going up to the 5.2" higher resolution will be enough for me.

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to get the 950xl. I'll wait for reviews just to make sure there's no glaring hardware issues or heating issues. This is the last of the Lumia line. We shouldn't expect a surface phone for another year at least. Panos is a design guru and it took him 18 months to create the Surface book. He will not rush the next phone as this will be the official phone to be added to the surface line. So don't expect to wait and get another one any time soon.

I do need a bigger screen on my phone and I am still a fan of the windows OS regardless of the app gap. I am lucky enough not to be as App crazy as most people so to me bigger screen and running on my favourite interface is the only thing that matters. I'd also be curious what kind of cases come out to style the phone in a more individual manner of taste.

This picture just shows how you can transform these phones quite wildly because of the removable cover.

View attachment 114044

Microsoft is not rushing their vision no matter how much people may complain. They want to do it right this time. The competitors have the advantage already, and change doesn't happen over night. Their vision will come slowly, it may anger fans, it may surprise fans, but in the end they will do what they think is best. I've seen what Satya is capable of and that gets me really excited. I was wary under the helm of Steve. Any choices MS makes are not to anger people but really to do what's best and make a difference. They are building for the future not for the present. And you know what, I don't need to be angry if MS doesn't do things right when that time comes. There are plenty of choices out there. During this time Google and Apple will also be transforming. You have no contractual obligation to any company. And if you use MS products they are available everywhere. So I'll definitely stick with MS for now and see where they are headed.

Great Post. Your rational is good by waiting to see if there are heating and hardware problems. I had some one attack me on this fourm for pointing out the problems that the android based Blackberry Priv is having. I was waiting to decide between the Priv and the 950. (Leaning towards buying 950, not a fan of physical key board on Priv) I had a Nokia 925, loved it and camera but it kept freezing on me after a couple years. Love the MS O.S and I am waiting to hear reviews on the 950 also.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Getting really bored with waiting now. I just don't understand Microsoft's inability to confirm a release date for the phone.

They are hammering out the adverts on Twitter by the hour and just blindly ignore the questions about release dates. The unveil stated 'November' but it's looking highly unlikely it's going to be achieved. My pre-order used to mention 28th November, now it's not got anything. It was initially 3rd December, then 28th November, now nothing. Could this be tied in to the post someone put on about the availability of UK pre-orders in October being a website mistake? Is the 12th December quoted on Amazon more likely now?

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I was 100% planning to upgrade from my 928 to a 950 (assuming it would ever come to Verizon), but Microsoft's recent decisions and moves around OneDrive and Windows Phone have revealed to me that they plan to let WP go the way of BlackBerry, unfortunately. There's no way they could have made the decisions and changes they did if they truly cared about WP and had any plans whatsoever to make it a viable player in the phone market. Even as heavily invested in the MS ecosystem as I am, I plan to switch to Android and simply use MS apps to maintain my MS experience rather than keep beating what seems to be a dying WP horse. I lived through the demise of BlackBerry while I was an enthusiastic user of their products, and the general feeling, public perception and corporate support now swirling around WP is very very similar to what the BB scenario was when it began its dive into irrelevance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire