If the Snapdragon 810 supports CDMA, how and why did microsoft not include it for anyone on Verizon?

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Snapdragon 810 Specs:
Modem
Integrated X10 LTE, with Global Mode supporting LTE FDD, LTE TDD, WCDMA (DB-DC-HSDPA, DC-HSUPA), CDMA1x, EV-DO, TD-SCDMA and GSM/EDGE

Cat 9 speeds of up to 450 Mbps with support for up to 3x20 MHz carrier aggregation on LTE FDD and LTE TDD

Support for LTE Broadcast, LTE multimode dual SIM (DSDS and DSDA) and VoLTE with HD Voice and SRVCC

Link:
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/810

Am I missing something?

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: If the Snapdragon 810 supports CDMA, how and why did microsoft not incluce it for anyone on Veri

yes. IMO - patience. Let the phone come out in the market in someone's hand and then you can see it working with CDMA or not.

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: If the Snapdragon 810 supports CDMA, how and why did microsoft not incluce it for anyone on Veri

I am very patient, but also like to be prepared. People have tested their Verizon SIMs at Microsoft Store, and they did not work. Also, clearly in what Microsoft has published, their specs do not include the appropriate CDMA? I would like someone smarter than me to be able to explain if a chip supports a Band/Frequency/Tech what else is required for it to work.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

doesn't matter what the hardware can do, if Verizon doesn't approve of the phone it isn't getting on the network.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

doesn't matter what the hardware can do, if Verizon doesn't approve of the phone it isn't getting on the network.

They have to certify it with them too which costs Microsoft 100k just to do that to sell one phone. Probably decided for today it's not worth it.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

It is Micosoft's doing for which I don't think they really wanted to bring this phone out. You can say this is the last of the Lumia line.

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

They have to certify it with them too which costs Microsoft 100k just to do that to sell one phone. Probably decided for today it's not worth it.

This is not true, as we saw with the Google Nexus 6. It was not approved by Verizon, but it worked on the network. People would just take their SIMs and put it in the new phone. This is also the case with the 5X/6P. Not Verizon approved, not Verizon sold but will work.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

It is Micosoft's doing for which I don't think they really wanted to bring this phone out. You can say this is the last of the Lumia line.

YOU can say that. If you enjoy talking completely out of your arse.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

This argument is a little strange and gives Verizon too much credit. The 950 can be used nearly everywhere in the world. Or in other words if a phone can not be used on Verizon why is this proof that it is a "not" wanted phone made by Microsoft.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

This argument is a little strange and gives Verizon too much credit. The 950 can be used nearly everywhere in the world. Or in other words if a phone can not be used on Verizon why is this proof that it is a "not" wanted phone made by Microsoft.

Verizon like Sprint uses CDMA as verification that the phones are white listed for the network.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Verizon like Sprint uses CDMA as verification that the phones are white listed for the network.

That may be true but that was not my point. And yes "rumor" has it that the 950 still has Nokia DNA and that the next phone will be a "true" Microsoft phone. But I still do not see the point that the missing of CDMA has anything to do with it.
And if adding of CDMA to a phone adds additional costs to a phone then I can see the point of MS to skip this because why add additional costs to a phone if the carriers who "need" this are Microsoft "unfriendly" anyhow.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
In a nutshell, yes, these new phones do support Verizon's network at the hardware level. However, it's clear that CDMA support has been disabled via firmware.

Now the big question is, who's to blame here? Did Microsoft intentionally choose to ignore other carriers and go with AT&T exclusivity? Or did Verizon reject the phone and refuse to carry it?

Now I don't know if it'll make a difference, but perhaps a petition is in order? After all, Microsoft claims they're going to start listening to their customers more when it comes to their products. Try this?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
In a nutshell, yes, these new phones do support Verizon's network at the hardware level. However, it's clear that CDMA support has been disabled via firmware.

Now the big question is, who's to blame here? Did Microsoft intentionally choose to ignore other carriers and go with AT&T exclusivity? Or did Verizon reject the phone and refuse to carry it?

Now I don't know if it'll make a difference, but perhaps a petition is in order? After all, Microsoft claims they're going to start listening to their customers more when it comes to their products. Try this?

I'll take a shot at this, again...

It's about CONTROL, period, end of story. The biggest problem is who is in control of sending out the updates to the phone in a timely fashion. Microsoft (and Nokia back in the day) did an excellent job of send down updates to all the carriers in a timely fashion. But then the carriers sat on the updates, and sat, and sat, pushing them out when they felt like it.

Microsoft stated that they will work with carriers that best supported their previous phones, i.e. pushed out the updates in a timely manor. Sadly about the only US carrier that did that was AT&T (which still didn't do a good job, IMHO). It wasn't Verizon. It wasn't T-Mobile. It wasn't Sprint. So AT&T got the 'bid' for the new Lumia's. Most likely Microsoft put something in the contract with AT&T emphasizing that updates must be pushed out in a timely manor.

Which leaves us with Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc. In reality none of them really gave a s*%t about previous Windows phones. You just have to look at the trail of the dead, EOL, carrier branded Windows Phones on each carrier. There's quite a few of them (P.S. It isn't just Windows Phones, Android phones has a longer trail of abandoned phones on every carrier). The issue always came down to who did most us blamed? The carrier, or MS/Nokia? Sadly, the majority went after MS/Nokia, who really wasn't at fault.

Now the question about the chipset supporting CDMA. Yep, it's there. But to enable it, MS has to go through FCC testing, WITH Verizon's help to turn on CDMA. CDMA is still a closed band in the USA. MS knows that Verizon won't really support the phones properly, because Verizon will only allow a phone that they can control. So why bother going through the FCC certification with Verizon? It's just easier to turn off that part of the chip and go on from there.

The reality is that the ball is in Verizon's court. Either they start playing "nice" or they get nothing.

P.P.S.
Another recommendation. DON'T buy the AT&T branded 950/XL. Just go get the unbranded, unlocked version from Microsoft directly. You should be able to get the future updates directly from MS, without having to sign up for any insider program.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Do you want me to list all the other phones that have the 810 in them and dont work on Verizion? How about the One Plus2 and the Xperia Z5s just off the top of my head for example.

Quote unquote unlocked phones nearly never come with CDMA support.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I get that Microsoft wants to work with carriers that will provide the best support for Windows Phones, but Verizon wasn't really that bad. Sure they took forever with the Cyan update but if you recall, Verizon was the first carrier to release the Denim update almost immediately after it was released. There are still phones on AT&T that still don't have Cyan. Not to mention Verizon is still a Microsoft partner.

I'd say subjectively that Verizon, AT&T, and T-mobile probably care about the same about Windows Phones. Sprint probably just doesn't care at all. But anyways, as we saw with T-Mobile's CEO, he was pretty mad that Microsoft didn't even bother reaching out to them. I really do believe that if Microsoft had simply reached out to Verizon, they could've gotten the phones approved on their network. The more I look into this matter, the more it looks like Microsoft is to blame here.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is the funny thing I just found from the FCC about the 950/950XL. They both have band 41 LTE in which the is only 1 carrier who uses that. Makes you wonder how many roaming agreements Sprint has with it's band 41 LTE.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Here is the funny thing I just found from the FCC about the 950/950XL. They both have band 41 LTE in which the is only 1 carrier who uses that. Makes you wonder how many roaming agreements Sprint has with it's band 41 LTE.

It's also funny that this may be true for the US. But the world is bigger because in China, the Philippines and some African countries they also use band 41.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs