AT&T Availability & Price - What's your guess?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Looking to see what ya'll are thinking as to when the Lumia 950 AT&T availability will be and what you anticipate the pricing to be with contract?

MS stated availability in November - but not sure that applies to AT&T as well? I'm on Next on my Lumia 1520 and ready to trade in for the 950 :love:

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Looking to see what ya'll are thinking as to when the Lumia 950 AT&T availability will be and what you anticipate the pricing to be with contract?

MS stated availability in November - but not sure that applies to AT&T as well? I'm on Next on my Lumia 1520 and ready to trade in for the 950 :love:

Just guessing: Mid November at the earliest. Off contract price of $500. If you're on next, not sure what you mean by price on contract.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Contract price for 1520 on at&t was $199 at launch on contract and $549 purchased outright. Pricing will probably be similar for the 950 at launch. If you are lucky maybe $99 on contract.

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing they'll probably release it first week of November. That is if they don't bastardize it and make it only 16GB and strip Qi wireless for PMA instead. In that case it won't release until Thanksgiving.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing they'll probably release it first week of November. That is if they don't bastardize it and make it only 16GB and strip Qi wireless for PMA instead. In that case it won't release until Thanksgiving.

ATT isn't a cheerleader for PMA anymore. That according to Rubino and the 830 design. If anything they'd make to compliant to both standards. If they're smart (?) they'd foresee such a requirement and design dual compatibly into the charging circuitry and not wait on a carrier demand.

boomerz

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
$99 on contract $549 off contract. But if it is $199 on contract I expect them to bundle something with it probably a wireless charger or a fitbit again.

RockStarNinja

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I went into my local AT&T store (Vintage Faire Mall, Modesto, Ca) to ask if they knew when the new Lumias might be coming in. The guy there had no clue what I was talking about. He told me that they don't usually sell the Windows phones because people would rather have an IPhone, so they didn't have any in stock. So I clarified that I was talking about the NEW Lumia 950, that AT&T announced they would be the only carrier of, and he just looked confused and said he had no idea if they would carry it because people don't want Windows phones. He then offered to show me the new IPhone.

Side note: I don't have AT&T, I'm on T-mobile, but was thinking about changing to get the new phone. Clearly that is not going to be happening.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I went into my local AT&T store (Vintage Faire Mall, Modesto, Ca) to ask if they knew when the new Lumias might be coming in. The guy there had no clue what I was talking about. He told me that they don't usually sell the Windows phones because people would rather have an IPhone, so they didn't have any in stock. So I clarified that I was talking about the NEW Lumia 950, that AT&T announced they would be the only carrier of, and he just looked confused and said he had no idea if they would carry it because people don't want Windows phones. He then offered to show me the new IPhone.

Side note: I don't have AT&T, I'm on T-mobile, but was thinking about changing to get the new phone. Clearly that is not going to be happening.

Dude, I had this EXACT SAME exchange with the AT&T store guy at the Providence Place mall in Providence, RI two days ago. I asked about when they were going to start taking pre-orders for the Lumia 950's and he says "The what?" And then he proceeded to tell me they don't stock Windows phones because they only sell one a year, so I would have to order it... at which point I reminded him that I was there to inquire as to WHEN I could order it, lol. *****. No answer, of course.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
RockStarNinja and John M Beauchemin,

I previously worked in the back office of an AT&T retail store and was in charge of managing the store inventory and setting up display units. It's true that the staff at the local stores do not usually have any information about upcoming phones until the pricing lists are released, usually about a week before product launch or pre-order availability.

The comments about no longer carrying Windows phones in their inventory sounds like a rogue comment from a sales rep who has no interest in selling Windows phones, which I've met a few. Other than online-only offers, the store should receive an initial inventory of new products, and they are automatically restocked to keep 2 weeks worth of inventory on hand. If the store is not selling any units of a particular model, they will just sit in the inventory room until the product is discontinued and they are instructed to ship them back to the warehouse or to a location that actually does move their inventory.

I don't doubt that an AT&T sales rep would give those responses, but I do doubt the accuracy of their statements. I also doubt the accuracy of comments in these forums when AT&T customers claim that their local stores don't display Windows phones. In my market, we were required to have at least 1 demo unit for each model that we carried. This was all mandated by our corporate merchandising structure. Any bias against selling Windows was by the sales reps themselves. That goes against how AT&T trains its employees, but it doesn't stop it from happening.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Who cares what the people at the store say. I have sold people unlocked phones, they take them to the ATT store, and the people tell them "oh, this won't work on our network - it's from so and so". So, the buyer wants to send it back to me, calls me a horrible seller, a liar, and a cheat.

I tell them to get a sim on their own, stick it in, and see what happens. They are amazed when it magically works when they put their own sim in.

I also have buyers take them to the store, then want to return them to me, because the people at the stores say the speakers are broken (because they don't know how to adjust volume), or 100 other things.

If you are looking for the people in the store to actually know anything about phones, you will be sorely disappointed.

Brad Wilson

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Who cares what the people at the store say. I have sold people unlocked phones, they take them to the ATT store, and the people tell them "oh, this won't work on our network - it's from so and so". So, the buyer wants to send it back to me, calls me a horrible seller, a liar, and a cheat.

I tell them to get a sim on their own, stick it in, and see what happens. They are amazed when it magically works when they put their own sim in.

I also have buyers take them to the store, then want to return them to me, because the people at the stores say the speakers are broken (because they don't know how to adjust volume), or 100 other things.

If you are looking for the people in the store to actually know anything about phones, you will be sorely disappointed.

This is why I want to work in a carrier store. I am a phone geek with excellent people skills yet I'm stuck in a grocery store. Kind of a shame as I had worked for a Cricket 3rd party store but they let me go since I know more than any of them do...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'd hire you. I had an Icon come back because they went to the TMo store, because the buyer didn't know how to insert the sim. They told the buyer that Verizon phones don't work on their network. Buyer was "going to report me to ebay", as they all say they are going to do, because I was a crook. I told them to go to a different store and see what happened. The next store told them it wouldn't work, but put the card in for fun, and shocked them both when it did.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This is why I want to work in a carrier store. I am a phone geek with excellent people skills yet I'm stuck in a grocery store. Kind of a shame as I had worked for a Cricket 3rd party store but they let me go since I know more than any of them do...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Keep applying and trying man. A good store will hire you to fix things.

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Just asked at my local at&t store and the guy said the MS rep that was in yesterday said mid November, definitely before black Friday. No word on price yet.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping for a free on contract Dec 26 promotion. My policy is to never spend more than one penny on a phone. I've gotten all my phones this way for the past 10 years, the last being the Lumia 1020.

KnuxSaw

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
So its now Oct. 25th and still no word on release date. Do you guys think something is wrong and the release date will be pushed back ? Or, are they just going to release it outright with no pre-orders?

Jon_Rubinstein

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I'll tell you what is wrong. WM10 is NOT READY!!!!
I know for fact that they missed the deadline. It will be Mid to Late Nov before we can get them. If we are lucky and this sorry WM10 team gets their act together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb