Buy at AT&T or MS Store 950??

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I had to help someone with this same issue. You have to call AT&T and get them to turn on visual voicemail on their side. I never did find out if it was associated with the device IMEI number or just on the account in general. Also, at the time, there was an extra charge for that, depending on your account/contract.
In the past 5 months, visual voicemail has worked on a Lumia 920, 830 and 820 that were all AT&T branded. I can check with AT&T, but I don't think switching to a factory unlocked phone would have removed the feature from my account. I will also try putting my SIM back into my recently repaired Lumia 920 and see if visual voicemail starts working again. That should indicate whether the fault lies with my account settings or my unlocked phone.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
According to the MS rep I spoke to at the store two days ago, you will not be able to buy the 950 at the MS store, only the XL. The 950 will be available exclusively through AT&T he told me.

I spoke to a Microsoft rep about 2 days ago, I was told that I could get my plan upgrade through the Microsoft Store on other device. I don't know how true that can be but if so, I'll start getting my phones at the Microsoft Store.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I had visual voicemail on my previous Note 4 and when I started using my 640XL visual voice mail password prompt came up, I entered my password and haven't been prompted since and the visual voice app hasn't appeared in my list of apps, I even went through AT&T's instructions on setting up visual voice after that and nothing happens.. strange, maybe its a glitch with some 640xl's...

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
They say it is unlocked at the store. I'll wait to see if in is an unlocked AT&T phone or a debranded phone with another RM number. I will never buy an AT&T branded phone again. I don't care if MS says they will bypass the carrier for updates.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting the AT&T variant from the MS Store, because I'm afraid of missing out on future Wifi calling & visual voicemail (I have no evidence that these won't work on the unlocked version, just don't want to risk it)... UNLESS... The AT&T variant doesn't have dual SIM slots.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I had visual voicemail on my previous Note 4 and when I started using my 640XL visual voice mail password prompt came up, I entered my password and haven't been prompted since and the visual voice app hasn't appeared in my list of apps, I even went through AT&T's instructions on setting up visual voice after that and nothing happens.. strange, maybe its a glitch with some 640xl's...

In WP, visual voicemail is not its own app, it's in the phone app. If you were prompted for your password, I bet you'll see your voicemail in the phone app.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
They say it is unlocked at the store. I'll wait to see if in is an unlocked AT&T phone or a debranded phone with another RM number. I will never buy an AT&T branded phone again. I don't care if MS says they will bypass the carrier for updates.

Reports were confused, MS didn't say they would bypass carriers.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting the AT&T variant from the MS Store, because I'm afraid of missing out on future Wifi calling & visual voicemail (I have no evidence that these won't work on the unlocked version, just don't want to risk it)... UNLESS... The AT&T variant doesn't have dual SIM slots.

Not that this is directly transferrable maybe, but my direct from MS 830 (RM-985) works just fine with VVM from ATT.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Not that this is directly transferrable maybe, but my direct from MS 830 (RM-985) works just fine with VVM from ATT.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

Hopefully this applies to the 950 and WiFi calling as well.

Still trying to figure out if either variant has dual SIM.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Can't speak to wifi calling, because I don't have that. It's not an ATT feature yet, is it?

BTW - VVM worked on the 930 as well.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

Hopefully this applies to the 950 and WiFi calling as well.

Still trying to figure out if either variant has dual SIM.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Can't speak to wifi calling, because I don't have that. It's not an ATT feature yet, is it?

BTW - VVM worked on the 930 as well.

No, not yet. It was supposed to come out in "spring/summer 2015", but they recently announced that it was coming soon. So I'd expect it in the next year or so.LOL

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I posted on the first page that my unlocked 640 XL does not work with AT&T's visual voicemail. I just found some other posts on the subject that the issue seems to be specifically with the dual-SIM LTE version of this phone. It sounds like based on other people's success with other models that the unlocked 950 & 950 XL will probably work with AT&T's VVM as well.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If you live close to a MS store get it from there and buy the warranty. The deductible is only $50 less than AT&T's and the service is excellent. You go in the the store they simply give you another one.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
In WP, visual voicemail is not its own app, it's in the phone app. If you were prompted for your password, I bet you'll see your voicemail in the phone app.

Haven't seen VVM pop up in weeks since I put in the password, I even went through AT&T's instructions on setting up VVM but nada.. strange huh?? :)

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
If it's a several-hundred dollar difference, I'll get the atandt phone. I've always been able to unlock and update -fast enough- their phones. My 1020 has been running Denim flawlessly since its early days. I've had smartphones since the first one -a Treo 270, and I'm not afraid of anything involving these devices. Aaarghhh... :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro