11-16-2015 09:49 AM
69 123
tools
    iPad Pro, anyone? Announced Sept 9. Available yet? No. Available pre-order? No. Available this month? Yes. Specific date? No (just rumors).

Apple: free pass.
    Who here gave Apple a free pass? I haven't paid that much attention to the iPad Pro but if they announced it and still haven't released it, then they botched their rollout too. The difference here though was that Apple was likely trying to steal Microsoft's thunder with the announcement of the SP4. And to an Apple fan, they did. "Looks a Pro version, how fantastic is that?"

However, Microsoft is already behind in the mobile market and to essentially announce vaporware (no display units even?) that won't be available to 50% of the US market is a huge mistake. As much as I liked my old Lumia 928 and Windows Mobile, it seems obvious that their "mobile first" strategy doesn't actually mean Microsoft mobile devices.
    11-09-2015 07:25 AM
    At this point I'm hoping that when released they'll announce some new third party apps too. The wait is understandable but would be more tolerable if we got some more goodies.
    11-09-2015 07:45 AM
    I think the most important thing here is that when these phones do hit the market Microsoft actually takes them seriously. I don't want to see another Lumia 920 where, despite some advertising on TV, they're virtually non-existent in stores.

Hell, I'm already seeing that with the Band 2. Why aren't they on display anywhere except Microsoft stores? If you want to make an impact with consumers you need to make the damn product available.

Even if the 950/950XL are a stopgap until Surface phones arrive next year Microsoft needs to market them aggressively, like they're the best thing ever. Not to say that they don't seem to be great phones, but perception is critical. Fail in this and subsequent phones will continue to have the stink of failure on them.

You don't see Apple introducing a product and marketing it like you should be waiting for next year's model.
    11-09-2015 10:09 AM
    You don't see Apple introducing a product and marketing it like you should be waiting for next year's model.
    With every iPhone release (3,4,5,6), there's always an 's' model right around the corner so yeah, I would say they do the same thing.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    11-09-2015 12:45 PM
    I think a lot of people forget how it used to be just a few years ago, before Apple changed the landscape. Everyone used to announce the product while it was still in development, and then you'd have to wait 6 months to a year before it launched. Apple started this whole business of timing the announcement and launches within a few weeks of each other. So, now we're so spoiled that when someone announces a product and we can't have it immediately, that we loudly proclaim they have somehow failed? I dunno, I think we just need to exercise some patience and restraint. I'm dying for my phone, too, but... really, relax.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-09-2015 01:34 PM
    With every iPhone release (3,4,5,6), there's always an 's' model right around the corner so yeah, I would say they do the same thing.
    No, they don't. They promote the non-S like it's the best iPhone ever, and do it again with the S.

If this were Microsoft we were talking about, the non-S would be hiding in the back corner of a few carrier stores with a dead battery.

Of course, I'm being premature here, but that's basically what's been happening ever since I got my 920 three years ago. I shouldn't have to drive an hour to the nearest MS store so that I can get my hands on a flagship phone, nevermind the rest of the lineup.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-09-2015 02:26 PM
    No, they don't. They promote the non-S like it's the best iPhone ever, and do it again with the S.

If this were Microsoft we were talking about, the non-S would be hiding in the back corner of a few carrier stores with a dead battery.

Of course, I'm being premature here, but that's basically what's been happening ever since I got my 920 three years ago. I shouldn't have to drive an hour to the nearest MS store so that I can get my hands on a flagship phone, nevermind the rest of the lineup.
    That's only because they have a huge percentage of the market share. If they were unpopular like ms phones, they would be tucked away in the corner too.

Also they advertise the non s models like they are the best thing ever, then do the same thing for the s model. It insults my intelligence a bit because they can't both be the best thing ever. I know better, and I also know that if I were in the market for a new iPhone, I would hold off until the s model was released.

11-09-2015 02:34 PM
    Samsung announce devices and then keep people waiting. The S6 edge was announced in the UK and wasn't available until September.....
    11-11-2015 12:53 PM
    That's only because they have a huge percentage of the market share. If they were unpopular like ms phones, they would be tucked away in the corner too.

Also they advertise the non s models like they are the best thing ever, then do the same thing for the s model. It insults my intelligence a bit because they can't both be the best thing ever. I know better, and I also know that if I were in the market for a new iPhone, I would hold off until the s model was released.

I ccan't believe that apple get away with the latest ad campaign for 6 / xl device. The ad states, and I quote,

"The new iiPhone, nothing much has changed"

The first 'honest' ad I've seen in a while!!
    libra89 likes this.
    11-12-2015 03:12 AM
    You have to listen to all of ad. It says nothing much has changed but everything.
    11-12-2015 08:40 AM
    You have to listen to all of ad. It says nothing much has changed but everything.
    What that commercial tells me is that Apple hypes minor features that wouldn't have gotten a second look under Windows or Android. This is why Apple enjoys the credit for things other have done first.

Well, that and they generally don't rush to introduce a feature before it's properly fleshed out, although even that's changing.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-12-2015 09:45 AM
    Might there still be too many tech silos at Microsoft, impeding the progress rate one might expect?
    11-13-2015 08:17 AM
    Still waiting...
    11-13-2015 02:26 PM
    The wait continues
    11-13-2015 03:13 PM
    11-13-2015 04:01 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skeleton-computer.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	116146
    Haha classic!
    11-13-2015 05:08 PM
    The purpose is to give enthusiast what they want, not to necessarily increase their market share. They've already written off the phones as not being profitable, but they did the same with the original Xbox. They'll continue putting out great phones for fans, and after a while others will come around. This is the year that we'll look back on and say "this is when it started" but not "this is when they finally achieved their goal".
    libra89 likes this.
    11-15-2015 11:24 AM
    MS, Just let us give you our freaking card numbers....geez....
    Musicman247 likes this.
    11-15-2015 09:06 PM
    MS, Just let us give you our freaking card numbers....geez....
    Relevant.
    shut-up-take-my-money-lore-.png
    Musicman247 and libra89 like this.
    11-16-2015 09:49 AM
69 123