11-16-2015 09:49 AM
69 123
tools
    Is it just me or are they horrible at announcing a phone and getting it available to buy/preorder in a reasonable time frame?

In this day and age, you can't announce something and then go a month or more before people can pre order or buy.... Why can't they figure this out?
    10-25-2015 08:17 PM
    You absolutely can showcase a device months before you plan to release it. Social media is really ruining people's patience.
    10-25-2015 08:23 PM
    You absolutely can showcase a device months before you plan to release it. Social media is really ruining people's patience.
    Just seems like their competitors are much better at announcing and getting it out there sooner...
    10-25-2015 08:25 PM
    I think someone mentioned it in another thread, maybe @a5cent (?), but it's not really fair to compare Microsoft who is building an entire OS from the bottom, over the others who might be doing big improvements to their own. I'll throw Apple in there for that statement. Android, doesn't really have a place in this discussion because there are SO many OEMs and their job is just the hardware only really.

The announcement was this month, and the 950s were said to be out in November, which is a month after the announcement, which is not that late. Apple announced their phones, but they still weren't out until a couple of weeks later.

I'm not really worried. The fact that the model phones were pulled or so, is a good sign. I'll probably be worried when it's deep in November and there's no announcement of a release date.
    jmshub likes this.
    10-25-2015 08:38 PM
    I think someone mentioned it in another thread, maybe @a5cent (?), but it's not really fair to compare Microsoft who is building an entire OS from the bottom, over the others who might be doing big improvements to their own. I'll throw Apple in there for that statement. Android, doesn't really have a place in this discussion because there are SO many OEMs and their job is just the hardware only really.

The announcement was this month, and the 950s were said to be out in November, which is a month after the announcement, which is not that late. Apple announced their phones, but they still weren't out until a couple of weeks later.

I'm not really worried. The fact that the model phones were pulled or so, is a good sign. I'll probably be worried when it's deep in November and there's no announcement of a release date.
    Plus, most of the OEM stuff is just rehashes, ie; S6, S6 edge, S6 edge plus..... and the gullible just fall for it. Droid is an OS which is an evolution of the previous release. Win10M is a ground up rebuild to enable a continuity across devices. At least the 950 / 950xl have differences in specs, and, if marketed correctly ( perhaps MSFT should get someone in!!!! ), this could be a game changer. They need to plug and plug the cross device compatibility, plug the continuum system, maybe offer the continuum dock at a greatly reduced price. I also commented on another thread, maybe OEM computers could include a 'flyer' or information about how a windows 10 pc ties in with the 950 etc.... or am I wide of the mark, and likely to gain employment in MSFT's marketing department ;-)

As for 'delays' / release date, I can only assume the pre order system was to gauge interest and prevent over stocking. You don't want thousands of these hanging around and having to cut the prices to shift them, ala MSFT of old, with a shed load of devices battling for a small share of a small share.

I love my 1320. But when the time eventually comes, I'll have one, and wouldn't mind the wait
    libra89, aximtreo and editguy like this.
    10-25-2015 08:52 PM
    Is it just me or are they horrible at announcing a phone and getting it available to buy/preorder in a reasonable time frame?

In this day and age, you can't announce something and then go a month or more before people can pre order or buy.... Why can't they figure this out?
    I totally agree with you. At this point, who knows. Maybe they are making mjnor changes to the phone that they think will get more positive feedback. It is a far each, but at this point I dont know what they are thinking if that isn't the case this isn't the first time you are relaxing hardware. You know apple announces it, then starts selling them a week later while the hype is hot. The blueprint is already out there for you, for crying out loud.
    10-25-2015 09:02 PM
    They seem to know the value in announcing and getting products available to consumers asap given their treatment of Surface products.... They just can't seem to figure that out for phones
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    10-26-2015 06:01 AM
    I bet we'll be hearing this excuse for a long time, just like we did for WP7, 8 & 8.1.......
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    10-26-2015 06:16 AM
    I bet we'll be hearing this excuse for a long time, just like we did for WP7, 8 & 8.1.......
    But neither of those have had UWP..? So it's a fair one. Maybe 8.1, but that was only with certain apps.
    10-26-2015 07:19 AM
    The idea behind rewriting the entire OS was so that Windows, Xbox, and WP were all onboard together, and this would start to fix the app situation. Unfortunately, I have seen ZERO improvement on any of the platforms. Guess we just have to wait and see.
    libra89, editguy and dgr_874 like this.
    10-26-2015 12:34 PM
    Tick tock. They have to be changing something with the design at this point. Otherwise someone should be fired.
    10-27-2015 12:22 PM
    Maybe they are just removing the screen in order to make it a sub $199 phone. It will be just be Flip Phone.
    10-27-2015 03:03 PM
    Tick tock. They have to be changing something with the design at this point. Otherwise someone should be fired.
    Well,if you're in UK or Italy you can pre order now
    10-27-2015 03:54 PM
    They seem to know the value in announcing and getting products available to consumers asap given their treatment of Surface products.... They just can't seem to figure that out for phones
    So, would you rather they not have announced the 950 & 950 XL on October 6th and have had MS waited until Windows Mobile 10 (which is the hold up) closer to ready?
    10-27-2015 05:20 PM
    So, would you rather they not have announced the 950 & 950 XL on October 6th and have had MS waited until Windows Mobile 10 (which is the hold up) closer to ready?
    I'd have been happy with that.
    bigbmc26, steve_w_7 and dgr_874 like this.
    10-27-2015 05:28 PM
    I'd have been happy with that.
    Me too.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    10-27-2015 05:39 PM
    They definitely are the worst. Look at the release of the 640 they announced it in April I believe and we were able to get into june/july
    10-27-2015 05:51 PM
    They are generating buzz in the marketplace. People are talking about Windows, Surface tablets and books, Hololens, Xbox, and Mobile. Developers are getting excited. That's what the press event was about. The longer they waited, the longer Apple and Samsung had the lime-light. They needed the conversation to shift - to remind people why Windows was awesome.

I too want the 950 phone. But we must observe some patience - instant gratification is a 1st-world problem.
    libra89 and editguy like this.
    10-27-2015 06:01 PM
    My observations are the general public are quite aware and have a mild interest in the upcoming Microsoft phone. Since I have a 1520 people often tell me about the new phone that is coming out.

Take this with the popularity of the Surface Pro 4 and Book and it seems like MS is getting people to notice. If WP10 gets well received people may give it a try. However, it seems MS has been falling short on the software side.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-27-2015 06:02 PM
    Could be worse, like it could be like Palm (and HP)

Pre announced in February, launches in June.

HP keeps using "in the coming months"
    10-27-2015 08:39 PM
    They definitely are the worst. Look at the release of the 640 they announced it in April I believe and we were able to get into june/july
    For America, yes, but around the world, it did come out in a decent amount of time. I put blame on the carriers for that.
    Laura Knotek, a5cent and xandros9 like this.
    10-27-2015 09:02 PM
    Could be worse, like it could be like Palm (and HP)

Pre announced in February, launches in June.

HP keeps using "in the coming months"
    We actually announced it in Jan....
    RumoredNow likes this.
    10-27-2015 09:42 PM
    We actually announced it in Jan....
    Mid-January! I stand corrected!

Would asking you to sign my Pre Plus or paper Veer replica be too much to ask? :)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    10-28-2015 11:20 AM
    The 950 and 950 XL can't ship until there's a somewhat stable OS to ship with it.
    10-29-2015 12:08 AM
    The 950 and 950 XL can't ship until there's a somewhat stable OS to ship with it.
    Good point. That could be anywhere from tomorrow until next year, unfortunately.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    10-29-2015 04:27 AM
69 123