ATT Offering 950

scumdogmillionaire

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Probably a stupid question, but I've never had unlocked before.

If I buy the 950/950XL unlocked, but use it on AT&T, will it still download all the crappy AT&T apps? Is it putting it on their network that determines if that stuff always gets installed, or the phone branding?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Probably a stupid question, but I've never had unlocked before.

If I buy the 950/950XL unlocked, but use it on AT&T, will it still download all the crappy AT&T apps? Is it putting it on their network that determines if that stuff always gets installed, or the phone branding?
It's the phone branding alone. Unlocked means you will only have Ms branding, and no AT&T apps unless you choose to install them yourself

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have 5 lines on AT&T, none of which are under contract. I was thinking that I might actually commit to a 2-year contract to get this phone at a bargain price.

So, I was looking into upgrade options, and what I learned was eye-opening, if correct, so I thought I'd throw it out to make sure I understand it correctly. Since they started this Next business, I have not even looked at upgrades, as I buy our phones off contract.

So, from what I can tell, it is this:
  • Next - basically just finances the phone by spreading payments out
  • Outright Purchase - just that
  • Contract Rate - you get a substantial discount, but the line cost goes from $15/mo to $40/mo

So, it seems that a contract phone costs more anyways, if they boost the access cost by $25/mo. What a crock.

So, unless I can get them to give me a contract price w/o boosting monthly billing, I will wait for the MS store. The only advantage to buy through AT&T is to get a discount in exchange for a commitment to stay. It is not worth the commitment, plus another 300/yr.

Do I understand this correctly?

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You are also charged a $45 activation fee for non-Next upgrades, and a $15 activation fee for Next upgrades. AT&T has lost their minds. The ONLY way to avoid these fees is to buy the device outright and get a new SIM card or re-use your old one.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
You are also charged a $45 activation fee for non-Next upgrades, and a $15 activation fee for Next upgrades. AT&T has lost their minds. The ONLY way to avoid these fees is to buy the device outright and get a new SIM card or re-use your old one.

That being the case, I suppose the only reason to buy one would be to have ATT finance it for you. Otherwise, buy from MS and be free.

So, I guess as I've done for the past several years, I'll probably pick one up used. I was really hoping to get a 950 new at/close to launch, but there's not much chance I'll buy an ATT model and pay the same as an MS model.

If it's like $350 outright, I'll consider the ATT model. If it's anywhere close to the MS price of $550, that will be the way to go.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
And if you want hazard insurance its better to buy a phone (locked or unlocked) anywhere but directly from a carrier. I bought a bunch of L640s as gifts and for the historically "unlucky" recipients I sprung for the hazard insurance. It was $18 for 24 months with zero deductible. So buying from Best-Buy or Walmart or probably even the Microsoft store you should be able to get the hazard insurance for much less than the monthly fee a carrier would charge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon